Front Sprocket Issue

BryanF

I went to remove my chain last night and in doing so noticed that with the transmission in Neutral the front sprocket would barely turn. When the sprocket did turn it took alot of force to get it to move. I am really new to this whole thing and am really still learning the ropes of repairs. Does anyone have any helpful hints as to what the issue may be?

Thank you all

Chain was off and it was definitely in Neutral. It took 2 hands and a lot of twisting to get the sprocket to move. I have considered the output shaft bearing, but my concern is if there is something staying engaged in the tranny when it is in Neutral.

And you ride the bike like that?

When you push the bike in neutral should be hard to push to?

Could be a broken shift fork too, either way its in bottom end case. Maybe open bottom leaving top end in place.

No sir I haven't ridden the bike yet. Doing a full tear down before I get on it and ride. Its my first Banshee and I want to check it all out before taking off.

In Neutral it seems easy to push. Not any harder than my wife's Blaster. Loaded and unloaded it in my truck no problem.

So I will check the output shaft bearing first then move on to the shift fork.

Thank you very much

No sir I haven't ridden the bike yet. Doing a full tear down before I get on it and ride. Its my first Banshee and I want to check it all out before taking off.

In Neutral it seems easy to push. Not any harder than my wife's Blaster. Loaded and unloaded it in my truck no problem.

So I will check the output shaft bearing first then move on to the shift fork.

Thank you very much

If you are doing a full tear down before you get on it and ride, why are you concerned at this point? You are going to be splitting the cases and checking everything out anyway, so if something is wrong you will find it then... :confused:

If you are doing a full tear down before you get on it and ride, why are you concerned at this point? You are going to be splitting the cases and checking everything out anyway, so if something is wrong you will find it then... :confused:

We didn't intend on splitting the case. Looks like we may have to. I am more curious as to what to look for if we split the case. Kinda look for some starting points is all. Like I said before I am new to all this.

We didn't intend on splitting the case. Looks like we may have to. I am more curious as to what to look for if we split the case. Kinda look for some starting points is all. Like I said before I am new to all this.

Get a clymers manual and read it. Bigred350 has a awesome bottom end was through as well. It's a lot easier then you would think.I found it, it's in the technical info section. That's one of the best walk throughs I have ever seen. I can't get the link to work.

Get a clymers manual and read it. Bigred350 has a awesome bottom end was through as well. It's a lot easier then you would think.I found it, it's in the technical info section. That's one of the best walk throughs I have ever seen. I can't get the link to work.

That is a damn fine idea. Hadn't actually considered that. Thank you! I am such a noob!

There is a link to it in my signature. Hope that helps.

- Jared

So we decided to split the case on my Banshee. Turns out that the bushing that secures the gear wheel for 2nd gear had slipped out of the gear and was pressing against the snap ring that keeps the gear separated from the others. Basically the trans wouldn't truly release into neutral. After a 4 dollar fix I am back in action.