Engine cases....is this normal? can it be fixed?

cline

Alright guys a couple days ago I asked for some advise about doing my first engine upgrade and more than a few of you left good advise so thanks for all the input thus far. Next order of business I could use advise on. Last year when I was riding my shifter became limp/broken. I was pretty much stuck in 4th gear and my shifter sagged below the foot peg and flimsily bounced around. Anyway I spent another fortune to have someone fix my banshee and because I was sick and tired of my bike being broke all the time I asked him to do a full disassembly and inspection and he found it to be the shift shaft alignment bolt was broken. Here is the thing though.....he said upon dissassembly and inspection that where the crank seals sit in the cases that there were score marks on the cases and appeared as if the crank was trying to rotate. He suggested that I replace the cases soon and said that when he reassembled he used loctite in between the case and crank seal. So if I am going to do a performance upgrade it would be a damn shame to do it in junky cases. Has this ever happened to anyone else? If so when I get new cases how do I avoid this from happening again? Is this something that one of the bansheehq sponsors machine shops can fix? Lastly, if not, where can I get the best deal on new cases? Thanks guys.

Honestly, none of that really makes any sense. Your description of what he said is solid, but what he's saying was happening doesn't really add up.

Where exactly were these "score" marks and what did he say was causing them?

What was the purpose of the Loctite? To keep the seal from spinning? That doesn't really make any sense.

I suggest that you never take your bike to this guy again.

locktite? Oh my... Best bet is to put your big boy pants on and dive in. Get yourself a manual, some very basic tools, a pencil/paper, and a camera if you think its needed. Start slow taking it apart and keep track of what goes where. There is VERY FEW parts involved in these things. I believe that bigred350x has a complete walkthrough hes done. No way to learn other than doing it. When you get it apart post a few pics and the members on here will help you get going back in the right direction.

There are some issues with the cases that can be repaired and some that cannot. A couple of pics would be very helpfull in giving you a more acurate answer. Also a repair depending on how big the repair is is not always the best option in a high horse power engine. It would depend both on repair and how big of engine you are looking to build. As far as new cases, there is the option of finding a good used set for sale. Or you can get a set of new oem cases, Or there are aftermarket cases if you are looking to build a much bigger engine.

I agree with everyone else, buy a manual and dive in! Theres no satisfaction like if somthing breaks or goes wrong after youve owned a few banshees and done a build or three on your own, too fix the problem yourself instead of some other schmuck stealing your money from you and handing you back a pile of crap when hes done. Very simple machines man, you just need the time and common tools and the drive to learn for yourself. I find these machines very rewarding when youve got them tuned in and running perfect. Have fun

I appreciate all of your input, thanks guys. I just recently caught wind of this web site and love all the feedback and knowledge on here. I have always wanted to just dive in as you all say but just have second guessed myself for some reason....don't know why though. I have taken my bike completely apart a hundred times and reassembled but just figured that I'd leave the engine stuff to the guys that are supposed to know whats up. But you are all right, everytime I give my bike to some shop they rape me for all my money and give me back a pile of shit. One of the first threads I read when I created my account here was the bottom end assembly in the Technical topic area by bigred350x. I probably be the millionth member to thank him but that step by step is awsome. I realized right then that this motor isn't rocket science and I don't see myself having difficulty doing this at all. Im excited to get started but my wife is already all over my ass about finishing our move. So as soon as I finish the move Im going to tear it apart and find what was described to me, take the pictures, and put them on for all of your input. Thanks again guys for the advise and support.

coups got the backwoods engineering goin on wit his combine haha. j/k coup.

in all seriousness id seriously get in there myself and do the work. not only does it make you feel better saving an ass load of money....but you'll learn too that you can sometimes repair thigns trail side to limp home if you know how it works. also where are you at? there may be another member lurking around the corner from your house on here that is definately willing to help out and get you going.