ethanol in fuel bad for shees?

hitman44

alright so im looking into getting a very mint used 99 shee and thought i covered everything there was to look up to make sure my first 2 stroke ends up being a good choice and buy. HOWEVER i now have heard that the newer fuel that you would get everyday is not good for your shee. Now aside from the now $5.00 per gallon cost....ive heard that fuel containing ethanol is nothing but bad news for your motor? now i dont know if thats true but since 99% of all stations sell fuel that contains ethanol....if i had to change somethings in the motor then id rather know now and not find out when the motor blows. Has anyone else heard this? and can anyone answer this question before i go buy it?

Definantly don't run e85 in anything that stuff is horrible, I don't know how many cop cars (they seem to think they need e85) have come in to our shop sayin that it won't start or it runs like crap and all we do is drain the e85 put regular in it and it starts right up and runs perfect. Seems to me all e85 is, is water lol but as far as pump gas you should be fine, I've never had a problem with it

i noticed my last batch of fuel (from turkey hill with up to 10% ethanol) it looked a little cloudy when i mixed the oil in, but when i get fuel with no ethanol it never has that cloudy look. i try to stay away from ethanol if i can but do use it

Ethanol in fuel is a scam but I'm not going to get into that haha. Ethanol mixed fuels have a shorter shelf life, and you should avoid letting it sit for longer periods of time. It will seperate and it also can hold a higher water content then regular gasoline, we just started mixing 10% ethanol into 87 and 89 octane gasoline at work. I only use Supreme fuel now as it does not contain any ethanol but they are talking about eventually mixing it in with 91 octane which sucks. Some people you talk to will say it has zero harmful side affects but I try and avoid it. They say it can damage gaskets and seals if left sitting for a while in your carb, etc.

that was another thing i heard about it, but no one seems to have an exact answer lol.....so does the higher oct not contain ethanol? the shee im looking at was set up and has been running on 93 oct? if its only the lower oct fuels that contain the ethanol then im not worried... and ive noticed that every station is different. some contain 5%....some 10%...some 15%

:blink: what about those guys who rides with alky all the time??

In my opinion 5,10 or 15% of ethanol in your gas doesn´t do any harm to your motor. In my opinion there is enough gas to protect your sensitive parts.

In most of the cases you can adjust your carb´s, timing and compression to whatever gas(w/ethanol) you like.

You can´t, or it´s allmost impossible to do these things in your regular car. In my opinion that is the biggest reason why they will run like shit.

What I have heard about the E85 is, that if you want to run it, you´d be better with alll alky, and use alky converted carb´s for that.

"They" say that there should be 85% ethanol with 15%gas, BUT I have read it somewhere here that it can be also 70%ethanol with 30% gas in winter times or so.

That makes your Banshee hard to tune if you are not 100% sure what kind of fuel mix you have.. sorry, hard to explain.

Remember, that I´m not a pro.

I use E5 98 here. (94 of yours)

-Pasi S.

it wasnt hard to understand at all lol....i mean as long as your mixture is right...and your motor is tuned for the 93 oct fuel and it dont sit for a long period of time (a yr or more) i cant really see it taking out motors left and right...however i am also no pro so i guess once i make my choice i'll find out what happens when i run my first tank lol

ethanol is bad for your 2-strokes. its a solvent and washes oil off of the bearings and other engine components. i had 3 yamaha sled engines go down this winter from that shit ethanol fuel. two of the three burn downs were from BP 93 oct w/10% ethanol and the other one was from a local cenex gas station. i called amsoil and klotz and both companies told me that they know that ethanol washes oil off of the bearings. amsoil said they changed the formula on their dominator, intercepter, and all 4-stroke sled oils even, to be more sticky and more willing to stick to the crank bearings when ethanol fuel is being used. klotz told me their oil would withstand 15% ethanol, but no higher. both of these oil companies make decent oil, and they both stated that the ethanol is junk. two of the 3 sleds that went down on me, were running yamalube and the other one was running amsoil. moral of the story......keep that ethanol shit outta your 2-strokes (banshee)!!

ethanol absorbs water so you cant see it like you could in regular gas.it also attracts moisture which is why e85 vehicles have stainless lines and stuff in their fuel systems to keep from corroding inside.also in a vehicle thats not e85 lean fuel trim codes will pop up.on a atv all you have to do is jet for the e85 your motor will need 30% more fuel when running e85 so you would have to more than likely have to drill your mains kind of like running strait alky.also i would recomend using super techniplate for alcohal motors.

Edited by sstaton1983

automotive vehicles that use e85 need to be either flex fuel OR e85 only cars. the gas staations are being iresponsible with that fuel.

10-15% ethanol is not bad on your motor IF you are going to run that you should use a GOOD alky safe oil like castrol 927, klotz super techniplate or redline alky oils,

in cold weather the oil will seperate from the fuels and in an injection style system it wont mix at all UNLESS its an alky safe oil.

you should treat e85 just like alky BUT in my opinion to mess with it and its varying quality you should just switch to alky/ methanol. done properly methanol/ alky is an excellent alternative fuel. these are the times we are facing! with race fuels hitting 10 bucks a gallon its just about useless to run that kind of fuel anymore.

even GAS left in your carb will cause problems. and gas left out will evaporate and turn to shit also?? i work on bikes daily that have been sitting and need carbs cleaned gaskets replaed and fuel dumped from gas. our vented fuel systems are a big cause from that.

ethanol is bad for your 2-strokes. its a solvent and washes oil off of the bearings and other engine components. i had 3 yamaha sled engines go down this winter from that shit ethanol fuel. two of the three burn downs were from BP 93 oct w/10% ethanol and the other one was from a local cenex gas station. i called amsoil and klotz and both companies told me that they know that ethanol washes oil off of the bearings. amsoil said they changed the formula on their dominator, intercepter, and all 4-stroke sled oils even, to be more sticky and more willing to stick to the crank bearings when ethanol fuel is being used. klotz told me their oil would withstand 15% ethanol, but no higher. both of these oil companies make decent oil, and they both stated that the ethanol is junk. two of the 3 sleds that went down on me, were running yamalube and the other one was running amsoil. moral of the story......keep that ethanol shit outta your 2-strokes (banshee)!!

What about using gasoline as a solvent to clean parts. It has always washed oil off for me as well. The problem isnt the ethanol. It is improper storage and not using an oil that blends wth alachol. All our premium pump fuel here in nebraska contains ethanol. I have been running it with out problems.

Edited by jbooker82

so they do make oils that are designed to withstand the effects of ethanol....that was going to be my next question....i dont ride everyday or even every weekend for that matter..so how long do i have to let un used fuel sit in my tank and or carb before it goes bad to the point of needing to replace shit?