breaking in

i know you can search for stuff lik this but when i do nothing turns up, so what way do you guys recomend to break in a new motor?

um. everyone does something alittle differant but most do it similar to this

start your engine just let idle shut off let cool completly down

then start again and let it get to operating temp then go around the yard slowly not getting on the throttle let cool completly

then do the same again then getting on it here and there then ride hard

this is how i do it and have had great results

start it up let it idle blipping the throttle now and then get it up to operating temp then shut down and let it cool completely just let it sit for a half hr or so <-----this is a heat cycle

i do 3 heat cycles

then i will go for a short ride variing the throttle but no wide open throttle go back home shut it down and let cool

take it out again and do the same as ^^ but doing short bursts of wide open go home let it cool

then ill just take it easy for a tank of fuel

then let her rip!!!! :headbang:

What you want to do is seat the rings. You do this by constantly varying throttle/load. First start I idle the engine around 2000rpm until water temp exceeds 120 degrees. Then I vary the rpm up to 2800ish and fall back to 2000rpm. Once you hit 150-160 shut it down and wait until it cools to under 100 degrees. Fire it up and repeat until you reach 160 or so. You can sync the carbs and other bullshit while monitering the temp. Once temp has reached 160 go ahead and hop on. Ease the throttle and get the quad moving. This is a very important part. You want both positive and negative pressure on the rings to seat them properly. If you've ever ridden an MX track, the first time you ride a new track you go around fairly easy to learn the track, correct? This is the type of riding style you want. Brief accel. and constantly changing speeds, gears, rpm. Remember to err on the rich side as to not run a fresh motor lean.

IMO its best to break in a motor with as few cool downs as possible. Especially with forged pistons. All your components are machined so that the proper clearances are obtained with the engine warm (they're loose when its cold). When you idle your bike and then shut it down and repeat three or four times like I've seen some folks do, this is actually wearing and seating your rings to your cylinder in an unusual way. You want your rings to seat (which results in sealing the combustion chamber) at operating tempurature.

i know you can search for stuff lik this but when i do nothing turns up, so what way do you guys recomend to break in a new motor?

you let it warm up then shut it down and let it cool of then ride it around a little bit no more than 1/8th throttle then let it cool down next time ride it alittle harder so on and so on 10 hours later change your oil and look for magnetic metal .

Heat cycle it 3 times bliping the throttle, NEVER let it idle for more than 30 seconds. Re torque head, check jetting and let her rip!

Do not up you oil mix, do not baby it past a jetting check. You may stop a bit more often to let it cool during the first tank of fuel, but make sure it hits operation temps before it stops. What your trying to so is make sure the rings don't glaze over, therefore never seating to the cylinder walls. This will cost you power and life of the rebuild.