Must has tools...?

MorrisJL

Me being a newbie... not just in regards to owning a banshee, but having a true toy to work on for the first time... I was wondering what are the must have tools for repairing/maintaining my banshee. I don’t have many tools now... in fact my plastic tool box has what I would call, a shitty excuse of basic, CHEAP tools collected and thrown in unorganized. I know this is a problem, and I should cut a corner off my man card, but plan to buy a respectable setup soon. With that said I was questioning the need to buy specialty tools... I’ll start with a torque wrench... is it a must or do most just tighten nuts and bolts to a reasonable level verses the specified torque...? Any other suggestion for must have tools are welcome.

I agree about the flywheel puller and yes a torque wrench is a good idea also... you can get a cheaper one that will do the job at your local walmart for $25... Also tou may want to upgrade to a more organized tool set. http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_009C0596000B?vName=Hand+Tools&cName=Tools+Sets&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets&prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=L12

Thats the kind of kit that will probably be all you would need

first thing you need to get is a clymers manual and as for tool you will need metric sockets anw wrenches and the only specialty tol you will need is a flywheel puller thats my 2cents

+1 on the clymers manual, I have the Yamaha Service tech manual (75.00) Clymers can be had for 29.00

Both tell you all tools needed in the preface of the books.

A battery or pneumatic impact gun is very handy and to me a must. Tourque wrench up to 100 or so ftlbs. Metric impact socket set to 20mm + 32mm.Feeler gauges, make a leak down tester(before u need it) Get a flywheel puller for your bike. I recommend an atv roll around jack, worth every dime. Other than that, like I said, the book has it all listed out.

I am trying to scan and convert the yamatech manual to a pdf format so I can send it off to people as we speak, trying to gauge intrest in it right now.

I agree about the flywheel puller and yes a torque wrench is a good idea also... you can get a cheaper one that will do the job at your local walmart for $25... Also tou may want to upgrade to a more organized tool set. http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_009C0596000B?vName=Hand+Tools&cName=Tools+Sets&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets&prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=L12

Thats the kind of kit that will probably be all you would need

I am sorry, but as an industrial mechanic, myself I would never trust a cheap torque wrench. U might as well guess at that point. You are buying something to be accurate as not to crush gaskets or bind parts. At least get a NEW craftsmen, you have to be able to trust your equipment. That is one of the few snap-on products I own.

CLYMER MANUAL

metric sockets

metric wrenches

metric allen wrenches

screw driver set

assortment of pliers

snap ring pliers

a good crescent wrench

torque wrench (dont cut corners, torque specs exist for a reason)

flywheel puller

1/2" impact wrench (pneumatic, or battery powered)

ball joint separator http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2092193903P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13

cordless drill, and assortment of bits

The list is in order of importance IMHO exept for the first 5 items... those are essential ALONG WITH A COMPRESSION TESTER, AN LEAK DOWN TESTER (theres a thread to build your own leak down tester, or i sell them for $35 shipped)

honestly the first issue you have (starting, running, jetting etc)one of the FIRST questions were gonna ask are "have you done a compression, and leak-down test) if your answer is NO then its hard/impossible to give you accurate advice.... get BOTH ASAP

if you have the full list above, you should be able to completely tear-down, and re-assemble your banshee (i might have forgotten a thing or two)

Edited by thrill-billy85

I use these most often...

Screw Drivers

Metric wrench set

1/4 and 3/8 drive Metric socket set (pick up a swivel joint)

Metric Allen set

Dead blow hammer

Pliers

grease gun

Once and a while...

1/2" drive socket set

Impact wrench

Hammer

Chisel

Center punch

Grinder

Sawzall

Welder (I prefer TIG)

Prybar

Chain-breaker

For the engine...

Flywheel puller

Clutch hub vice (Tusk makes one that is cheap and can be used to hold the flywheel also!)

Torque Wrench

Chain breaker

Battery Powered Impact 1/2" Drive

Set of Metric Impact Sockets for Impact Gun

Flywheel Puller

Standard Length Metric Sockets

Deep Length Metric Sockets

Metric Allen Wrenches

Snap-Ring Pliers

Torque Wrench

Bore Scope (If its in your budget)

Feeler Gauges

Metric Open-End Wrenches (I like the ratcheting ones)

These items should be added to your normal toolbox assortment... hammers, screwdrivers, channel locks, crescent, etc etc.

Spend the money on a good impact gun. They have a million uses both on and off the banshee. Dewalt makes some very nice ones. Just be sure you get one of the 1/2" drive ones.

Crescant Wrench

Pipe Wrench

Channel Lock Pliers

Vise Grips

Hammers

Screw Drivers

Cheater Pipe

Pry Bars

Just kidding..... :rotflmao:

Seriously though, the "afore" mentioned, a manual and lots of metric sockets / ratchets and metric wrenches, metric allen wrenches. Maybe a leakdown tester, compression gauge, depending on how mechanically inclined you are.

I didnt see a Carb Sync tool on them lists. if you own a banshee you should own that tool.

and a good tow rope. lol...

I owned a small pos socket set when I got my shee. I then got a really nice mechanic set of craftsman's. I now have a full craftsman tool chest. They are so easy to work on, it makes you want to invest in tools. Pretty much what's listed above are all good choices. Maybe add some C clamps, nut's and bolt kit, and a volt ohm meter. I would dump my cash in a really nice cordless impact and a fully assorted metric socket set first.

Crescant Wrench

Pipe Wrench

Channel Lock Pliers

Vise Grips

Hammers

Screw Drivers

Cheater Pipe

Pry Bars

sounds like my buddies old toolbox before he sold his

only thing missing are a couple butterknives with the tips bent at an angle for pulling old bearing races out , or whats left of em

Chain breaker

Battery Powered Impact 1/2" Drive

Set of Metric Impact Sockets for Impact Gun

Flywheel Puller

Standard Length Metric Sockets

Deep Length Metric Sockets

Metric Allen Wrenches

Snap-Ring Pliers

Torque Wrench

Bore Scope (If its in your budget)

Feeler Gauges

Metric Open-End Wrenches (I like the ratcheting ones)

These items should be added to your normal toolbox assortment... hammers, screwdrivers, channel locks, crescent, etc etc.

Spend the money on a good impact gun. They have a million uses both on and off the banshee. Dewalt makes some very nice ones. Just be sure you get one of the 1/2" drive ones.

great list. if you are so inclined a battery powered 3/8 impact is VERY handy for just taking stuff apart. way nicer than an air ratchet. a nice caliper is good for checking a bore size.