What size rims

cbn70

Hi,

I have been reading some of the comments on paddle tires and rim sizes. What are the reasons for running the 8 inch rims as opposed to a 9 or 10 inch rims. Some people seem to think a 8 inch rim is better, will give a bike or 2 lengths difference when drag racing as opposed to a 10 inch rim. thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have been reading some of the comments on paddle tires and rim sizes. What are the reasons for running the 8 inch rims as opposed to a 9 or 10 inch rims. Some people seem to think a 8 inch rim is better, will give a bike or 2 lengths difference when drag racing as opposed to a 10 inch rim. thanks

I've always ran 8 inch rear wheels on everything. The 10's look kinda cool, but I don't think they hook up as well. The more side wall the better IMHO.

The 8" will provide more side-wall flex and maintain traction better. They will also "grow" with higher wheel speeds, similar to what the tires on a top fuel drag car do. You will get an inch or two added rollout on the big end with the smaller rim, since there is more sidewall for the tire to flex with. The 8" rims are also lighter.

Sounds like I nee to switch to a 8 inch rim. Currently I have 20x10x10 8 paddle haulers. Maybe 20-12-8 8 paddle is the way to go

Try a 21x12x8 8 paddle and I bet you will like it a lot more than the 20" Just adjust your gearing for the little big taller paddle.

I run a 22X10X8 9 paddle extreme triple buff haulers and love them on my shee but my old yfz450 loved 22X10X10 8 paddle haulers and seem to not hook as hard with the 8 inch vs the 10. I think it has a lot to do with the instant wheel speed the 2 stroke has. I agree with 350x and the shee's love a 22 on a 8 inch rim

Edited by sfreak76

• 6 months later...

The 8" will provide more side-wall flex and maintain traction better. They will also "grow" with higher wheel speeds, similar to what the tires on a top fuel drag car do. You will get an inch or two added rollout on the big end with the smaller rim, since there is more sidewall for the tire to flex with. The 8" rims are also lighter.

Rubber is denser than aluminum so a 22 inch tire and 8 inch wheel will weigh more than a 22 inch tire and 10 inch wheel. However everything that was said about sidewall flex and top end growth are true.

• 4 weeks later...

Rubber is denser than aluminum so a 22 inch tire and 8 inch wheel will weigh more than a 22 inch tire and 10 inch wheel. However everything that was said about sidewall flex and top end growth are true.

huh? they are talking about the width of the wheel are they not? 7 inch wide wheel all the way!!

• 3 months later...

guys what tier and rim size should i buy for the front and back of my dune bike serval421cc 4mil

i basically 80% ride the dunes 20% drag and i like doing wellies once in a while and side sliding?

For sliding you'll probly want a 20" tire and 10" rim.....how long of a swing arm are you using?

Sand Stars 22-8-10 2 $69.00 $138.00

Sand Stars 20-11-10 2 $89.00 $178.00

Douglas front rims - black label 10x6 2 $60.00 $120.00

Douglas rear wheels - black label 10x9 2 $70.00 $140.00

i bought them today should i return anything ?

and did i over pay ?

You're building a 421 serval right? Sandstar front tires are great, the rears not so much. They're not horrible, but skat trak haulers/extremes are a better choice. Especially with the amount of motor you'll be running. Black labels are good.

yes i am building a serval 421 4mil

can someone please tell me the right size rim in front and back width and height

also the right size tire width and height in front and back

i need to cancel my order and reorder them

please some feedback asap