skid plates....

barker

my bike came with the stock swingarm skid plate that just covers the sprocket and brake rotor. does anyone know how tough these are? my bike looks like it has hardly been driven before i got it and there are maybe one or two small dings in the plate and a couple of scratches but it obviously hasn't been smashed off any rocks or stumps. I haven't had it in the woods too much yet but I plan on getting another set of rims/tires to sit the bike up more for the woods and was wondering if the stock skid plate was any good? I have been looking around for aftermarket ones but they are usually over 100 bucks plus shipping here would most likely be another 50 bucks from the states. Has anyone reinforced the stocker? Im thinking I will try this before dropping the cash on an aftermarket one. I was also looking at full skid plates for the underside of the bike as well as a arm skid plates, are these worth it? I have access to metal and im pretty handy at fabricating stuff up, it would probably be pretty easy to make up a skid and mounting brackets for the bottom of the bike too. just wondering if anyone here has had any luck with making your own skid plates or reinforcing the stock one.

The stock skid is pretty weak. But i don't see why you couldn't just weld a 1/4" thick piece to the stocker though. Some of my 4x4 buds make there own skids outa puck board and that shit is awesome and really strong.

I personally use all the pro Armour plates, a-arms, belly, rear skid and side frames. Nice and thick and do there job well.

my bike came with the stock swingarm skid plate that just covers the sprocket and brake rotor. does anyone know how tough these are? my bike looks like it has hardly been driven before i got it and there are maybe one or two small dings in the plate and a couple of scratches but it obviously hasn't been smashed off any rocks or stumps. I haven't had it in the woods too much yet but I plan on getting another set of rims/tires to sit the bike up more for the woods and was wondering if the stock skid plate was any good? I have been looking around for aftermarket ones but they are usually over 100 bucks plus shipping here would most likely be another 50 bucks from the states. Has anyone reinforced the stocker? Im thinking I will try this before dropping the cash on an aftermarket one. I was also looking at full skid plates for the underside of the bike as well as a arm skid plates, are these worth it? I have access to metal and im pretty handy at fabricating stuff up, it would probably be pretty easy to make up a skid and mounting brackets for the bottom of the bike too. just wondering if anyone here has had any luck with making your own skid plates or reinforcing the stock one.

I had some kind of after market skid plate on my swingarm and bent it up pretty good. I replaced it with an Armadillo skid plate that is also aluminum but thicker than the first and it's been taking a pounding *really* well. I'm seriously considering Armadillo to replace the rest of my full skids.

Edited by muggzy

I had some kind of after market skid plate on my swingarm and bent it up pretty good. I replaced it with an Armadillo skid plate that is also aluminum but thicker than the first and it's been taking a pounding *really* well. I'm seriously considering Armadillo to replace the rest of my full skids.

the first thing to go on all my bikes...full skids...stock blows for trails

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've got a complete set of DG BAJA Series Skid Plates on my Banshee and there great Skids. They fit nice and tight, the cup the frame, light weight, and everything flush underneath so you don't get snagged on anything. When I decided I want to build a Banshee that would dominate the trails and Hare Scrambles I had a buddy of mine contact a guy he was acquainted with than ran XC Race professionally. That guy told him to armor the bike up as much as possible so I put the following accessories on my Banshee:

DG BAJA Series Belly Skid Plate.

DG BAJA Series Rear Swing arm Skid Plate.

DG Frame Guards (Front and Side).

Qualex +3 Custom a arm Skids.

DG Rear Bumper.

DG Six Pack Rack.

DG Fat Boy Series Nerf Bars.

Maier Disc Guard.

Qualex Forged Steel YFZ-350 Replica Front Bumper.

In addition to the Qualex Front Bumper I also Have a Polished Aluminum JAW'S Bumper I swap in and out. I'm happy with all DG'S Products. Qualex is a machine shop That I have do custom work for Item's I can't buy like the Factory style front bumper made out of forged steel, and +3 a arm skids for my Full Flight a arms.

• 2 months later...

I know this thread is a bit dated but what do you guys think about the rear skids that cover the sprocket and disc versus the larger ones that cover the lower link as well as the sprocket and disc? Obviously the smaller, more basic skids would be cheaper but is it really worth it to go with the bigger one or no?

I know this thread is a bit dated but what do you guys think about the rear skids that cover the sprocket and disc versus the larger ones that cover the lower link as well as the sprocket and disc? Obviously the smaller, more basic skids would be cheaper but is it really worth it to go with the bigger one or no?

the 1/4" prm full coverage is probably the best swingarm skidplate you can get for a banshee , they are awesome quality,also if you have full coverage you will glide over stuff much better, rather than hit the front of your skidplate on shit and tear it off the swing arm after egging out all the bolt holes, whenever my 1/4" richochet i got free from rmatv gets torn off, it will be replaced with 1/4" prm full coverage, friend had on his banshee for 6+ years, thing was a beast

i picked up a pro armor belly skid from rmatv a couple years back when they were on sale, they were a few dollars more than some of the other brands, but they are made nice, and have flares that come up on both sides to protect your motor from debris

not the best picture, but you get the idea, the flaps sticking out with the holes drilled in them provide some nice extra protection that most dont have

123.jpg

Are those a arm skids for +2 arms and if so where did you get them? Armadillo?

yea those are +2 armadillo arms, with armadillo +2 skidplates, i got them from RMATV a few years ago, about $550 for the package

with the shape of the a-arms though, i dont see them fitting on any other brand

123-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good call on the PRM, When i raced harescrambles (On my LT-R) the Pro Armor and Armadillo (I dragged this one 2 laps) didnt last one race, they both broke at the welds, The PRM is great, the chassis skid takes less of a beating, i never used a-arm skids and never had a problem