What does race gas really do?

so what does race gas do, compared to normal gas? I know that it has a higher octane, and that it fires up quicker, but what else does it do? like does it increase horsepower over normal gas?

Higher octane gas (110 vs 91) burns at a slower rate reducing the chance of pre ignition (turbalance) in the combustion chamber. Traditionally used in high compression motors.

There is no increase in horsepower, it's a common myth. In fact years ago I ran a basic chevy 350 on a water brake dyno testing the performance differences in running different octane fuels (while keeping a static igntion timing), It made the most power running low octane gas.

$7 a gallon here in Maryland. X2 on getting bigger domes it sucks but maybe you should of thought about this before buying it. You should pull the head off that thing anyway that way you would know what ya got. Because if its a stroker you'll need domes cut and that gets a little more pricey. But I'm sure Jeff @ FAST will hook ya right up.

Do a compression test and then call one of the sponsers like Jeff @ FAST maybe and he'll let you know what you are going to need. That would really be your best bet at least thats what I would do. Well I guess not I bite the bullet and run race gas. It sucks but it smells so good.

Someone already said it but basicly when you up your compression it squeezes the fuel mixture harder creating more heat inside the cylinder causing the fuel mixture to ignite easier and before the optimum time it should (pre-ignition, detonation) also when you advance your timing it will cause the spark plugs to fire before they normaly would causing basicly the same effect.

To combat this problem you run a higher octain fuel that burns slower (harder to ignite) so the ignition of the fuel occures when it should in relation to the stroke of the piston instead of before hand where it creates unwanted heat in the cumbustion chamber.

crappy explanation but basicly when you up your compression or advance your timing it will make your lower octain fuels ignite too soon causing excess heat and make things melt so to counter these effects you run a fuel thats harder to burn so it lights up later.

Imagine it this way, (not precise but just for shits..) lets say that your fuel is supposed to ignite at top dead center to push the piston down. now when you mod the comp or the timing it causes your fuel to ignite before it gets to tdc so to correct it you need to run something thats harder to ignite so it will now burn at tdc.

The same thing goes for running too high an octain fuel in an engine that doesnt require it, in a stock engine lets say everything is working properly and you toss in some 110. now instead of igniting the fuel mixture when it should it now is firing after tdc, you are now losing power because your engine is igniting on the downstroke of the engine past the optimum point it should be.

i didnt read all the posts but i can tell you this race gas just pisses you off in the long run and makes you want to switch to alky..

55 gallons of alky here is about 160 bucks. thats a drum..

x2 since you use twice as much fuel so now your at $320 dollars for the same amount of riding. I get race fuel for $370 a 55 gallon drum. So it is 50 bucks more and you dont have to purge, and can drive twice as far on 1 tank of fuel.

Switching to methanol for the 10% hp gain is the way to go. Doing it because it is cheaper is just pulling the blinders over you own eyes.

depending on what "race" fuel you use, it burns with greater energy than regular pump at it's peak efficiency. the rating is it's stability, metered in it's knock resistance. if you fail to provide enough instability, ignition, it simply doesn't ignite efficiently.