No top end?

Looking for opinions...I recently did some work to my banshee and I feel like it lost most of the top end I had but picked up a lot of low end and mid-range power, I was told my pipes are holding me back so I want to hear what you guys think. When I first got my bike it was stock except for a set of fmf fattys and it felt like I had a shit ton of top end power, I recently did all the other mods I have in my sig and now it pulls hard down low but falls on its face upstairs. Opinions/suggestions?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for opinions...I recently did some work to my banshee and I feel like it lost most of the top end I had but picked up a lot of low end and mid-range power, I was told my pipes are holding me back so I want to hear what you guys think. When I first got my bike it was stock except for a set of fmf fattys and it felt like I had a shit ton of top end power, I recently did all the other mods I have in my sig and now it pulls hard down low but falls on its face upstairs. Opinions/suggestions?

I don't have any experience with fmf's on a shee, but I've heard they are a good mid range pipe. If you want more on top maybe it's time for some CPI inframes??

Oh and IMO ditch the boost bottle :headbang:

I don't have any experience with fmf's on a shee, but I've heard they are a good mid range pipe. If you want more on top maybe it's time for some CPI inframes??

Oh and IMO ditch the boost bottle :headbang:

Yea if I change the pipes I'll most likely go with CPI's. I know everyone hates the boost bottles lol it was on the bike when i got it just havent taken it off yet.

What was your jetting with the FMFs only and what is your jetting now?

I dont know what it was or what it is now, I did the work to the bike myself and then dropped it off at a shop and let them jet it because I had no idea what I was doing. I can call the guy that did it and ask him what jets he put in it but the bike runs good, I dont think the loss of top end is jetting related though.

I dont know what it was or what it is now, I did the work to the bike myself and then dropped it off at a shop and let them jet it because I had no idea what I was doing. I can call the guy that did it and ask him what jets he put in it but the bike runs good, I dont think the loss of top end is jetting related though.

I disagree, if they changed your jetting and didn't dial the bike in (by riding it) you could very well be excessively rich or lean on the top end causing your problems. You can't really just slap a set of jets in and it ride perfect theres a lot of trial and error getting it dialed in.

One other scenario is the bike might have been running strong on the top end before, maybe it had a air leak and was overjetted to compensate.. After the motor work was done the air leak was gone and now its excessively rich. Doing a proper plug chop will tell you exactly whats going on with the bike and let you know if jetting is off.

Since the pipes didn't change I wouldn't think your other mods would have boosted the midrange power and not also boosted the top end, i think you would see gains across the entire RPM range by doing those mods.

maybe it is your domes? you running pump or race or mix? more compression will cause for better low end and stifle top end power.

also FMF fatties are a good mid range pipe with a decent top end.

ditch the boost bottle and check the jetting.

what is the compression?

was a leak down test done?

but it is most likely running rich, on my banshee it was running great, went to the dunes and had it running rich and it lost top end power where it couldn't pull 6th gear in the sand.

Im running 93/110 octane mix, compression is 175 on both cylinders. Didnt do a leakdown test, the motor was recently redone

I disagree, if they changed your jetting and didn't dial the bike in (by riding it) you could very well be excessively rich or lean on the top end causing your problems. You can't really just slap a set of jets in and it ride perfect theres a lot of trial and error getting it dialed in.

One other scenario is the bike might have been running strong on the top end before, maybe it had a air leak and was overjetted to compensate.. After the motor work was done the air leak was gone and now its excessively rich. Doing a proper plug chop will tell you exactly whats going on with the bike and let you know if jetting is off.

Since the pipes didn't change I wouldn't think your other mods would have boosted the midrange power and not also boosted the top end, i think you would see gains across the entire RPM range by doing those mods.

Well it was jetted by a reputable shop, I would imagine they rode it but I didnt get a chance to talk to the guy that worked on it, he wasnt there when I picked up the bike. I'll give him a call and see what he says.

If you have no top end then your jetting is off. I could get my Fatty's to flat out scream!

I spoke with the guy who worked on it, he said they may have leaned it out too much. Im gonna bring it back to him and let him play with it some more.

I spoke with the guy who worked on it, he said they may have leaned it out too much. Im gonna bring it back to him and let him play with it some more.

Jetting your bike yourself isn't hard at all, if you can find out what size jets you've got in it there is a jetting faq that you can use to see what baseline you should start off with then fine tune it from there. It takes into account your elevation above sea level as well as ambient temperature as well.. Don't take a lean situation lightly with as many rev's as these engines will turn it doesn't take long at all running lean to burn a hole in a piston!

Do it yourself. After that first time you know that it wasn´t so hard. ;)

Clean up your bike and let it dry before you do it. Buy a carb-cleaner so that you can clean those carbs perfectly. This way you won´t get your hands dirty and you can focus what you are doing not how dirty your fingers are! -LOL!

Learn how to do it!

-Pasi S.

Jetting your bike yourself isn't hard at all, if you can find out what size jets you've got in it there is a jetting faq that you can use to see what baseline you should start off with then fine tune it from there. It takes into account your elevation above sea level as well as ambient temperature as well.. Don't take a lean situation lightly with as many rev's as these engines will turn it doesn't take long at all running lean to burn a hole in a piston!

Yea Im sure it isnt hard I just dont really have the time or experience to mess with it, or know where to get the jets from. I figured it would just be easier to drop it off and let someone do it. The guy who did it has a fully built drag banshee so Im pretty sure he knows what hes doing, maybe he just rushed it or whatever I dont really know.