When a CDI goes out

Everything was fine on bike and one day it started then died after 5 seconds. No spark, coil tests out fine and even swapped it out and still same thing. I tested out stator at the wires coming out of flywheel area and it was in specs. I even tested stator at the connector where it goes into CDI..same..within specs. All grounds and wires are fine. So my question is, do these things just puke out like that? Just want other people who have had this happen to chime in. I have one on order from motor city atv(BHQ sponsor) but this is just driving me nuts. Also,all switches tested out fine and TORS has been disconnected and has never been an issue. Thanks for any input!!

Everything was fine on bike and one day it started then died after 5 seconds. No spark, coil tests out fine and even swapped it out and still same thing. I tested out stator at the wires coming out of flywheel area and it was in specs. I even tested stator at the connector where it goes into CDI..same..within specs. All grounds and wires are fine. So my question is, do these things just puke out like that? Just want other people who have had this happen to chime in. I have one on order from motor city atv(BHQ sponsor) but this is just driving me nuts. Also,all switches tested out fine and TORS has been disconnected and has never been an issue. Thanks for any input!!

My CDI failed because of a wire in my harness shorted out against the head on the motor. I have never heard of them failing for no reason.

well,like i said, i checked everything..switches..wiring..all of it. with plugs out and kickin my banshee over, i get nothing out of the hot wire goin to the coil. so i did the same test on the blaster and the test light lights up. it has to be the cdi cuz the stator checks out..even at the plug goin into the cdi. just wish the damn thing would hurry up and get here so i can this thing goin...headin to silver lake dunes in a week.

cdi's usually die one of 2 ways they just STOP dead no more at all OR

the timing curve getss all wacky and it backfires and acts all shittty for no reason the way to test a cdi is replace it! if you have gone through all the wiring and the coil positive is not grounded and everything tests good i'd say the cdi

in 15 + years i have only replaced 2 cdi's one on a 250ex and one on a 92 banshee with about 9million miles on the clock..

give the cdi the "smack test".....i shit you not, that is a test. if it sparks after smacking it with the palm of your hand, there is a dry connection somewhere inside, and needs replaced. have you dug in and checked the stator/pickup?

give the cdi the "smack test".....i shit you not, that is a test. if it sparks after smacking it with the palm of your hand, there is a dry connection somewhere inside, and needs replaced. have you dug in and checked the stator/pickup?

Yea, the stator tests out fine. I will try the "smack test" later on the cdi box and on the old lady later on tonight too!!