YFZ 450 front end conversion parts list

banshitty

I just finished my Yfz 450 a-arm install and thought I would share the info on what parts work best.

Any 04'-07' yfz 450 arms (switch upper arms from right to left)

Any 04'-07' aluminum spindles/knuckles

13 5/8" long tie-rod tubes or use grizzly tierods

Any 04'-07- calipers and master cylinder (better dual piston calipers--be sure to use the YFZ 450 caliper bolts)

06' and newer KFX400,LTZ400,or DVX400 piggy back front shocks (perfect length and same adjustability as yfz's) DONOT USE HONDA 450R SHOCKS THE RESERVOIRS WILL HIT THE UPPER ARMS WHEN JUMPING HARD!!!!

I used honda 450R front springs for a little softer set-up and I reused the banhee brake lines. I tried to used the stock banshee spindles but they made the quad hard to steer when going slow.

***THIS SET-UP WORKS GREAT AND I HAVE NO REGRETS LIKE I HAD WITH THE STOCK SPINDLE SET-UP***

Some one fill me in-

What's so desirable to the yfz front end that makes everyone switch?

Just updated technology ?

not as good as a elka type set up... but far better than stock... depends on who u are and what ur looking for...

DiSkOe*1

I just finally got rid of my yfz450 arms because it has one major flaw when installing them on the banshee frame. Too much positive caster (22* to be exact!!!). This creates very stiff slow steering (and quick return to center). Also you'll wear out ball joints faster due to the miss-alignment in relation to the spindles.

Stock is 9* and recommend rec riding is 3* to 5* of positive caster if I recall correctly.

While this upgrade is fine for rec. riding, don't try racing with it.

Save your money and get some arms designed for the banshee.

Edited by someone82

X3 im also very curious ... Can u do jumps on a banshee with stock suspension???

You can do jumps on any quad and anything out there. The landing is what im scared of. The stock front end on the banshee is way out of date and the shocks blow. The rear shock is a good shock if it has been serviced or is almost new. Most shocks need a rebuild about every two to three years. You can get more out of them but then you start looking at replacing other parts. I like to keep my rebuild cost down. So just a seal head, oil and a piston wear band and a recharge when done. I have always gone with +2+1 arms and after market shocks. You can only go so fast till the back cant handle anymore or you cant take the ass kicking anymore. Up grading the suspension in my eyes is a must for the banshee if your wanting to jump. You can get way with the yfz shocks. But if your going to be jumping. I have found that the High speed valving is to soft for the banshee. Having a set of shocks set up for your weight, riding style and bike is a BIG KEY.

Just curious what the total cost was for all those mis-matched parts for your 450 front end... Seems buying a +2 +1 set up made for the banshee would cost close to the same, unless you purchased everything used and found some good deals.

Well when I did mine, I spent about $150 for everything (minus brakes and months of hunting for the best deal). After installing everything I made about $85 back from the factory parts.

So I lost $65 in a crappy front end.

I got my shocks and a-arms from a 2007 never even used for $150 shipped to the coffee shop down the road. I sold my stock front end for $100 so I'm into the 450 front for $50 plus the extended tie rods and ends. So for about $100 it was a good investment. If your spending any more than $200 on a 450 front end, it's not worth it IMO.

Some one fill me in-

What's so desirable to the yfz front end that makes everyone switch?

Just updated technology ?

its not so much desirable as it is cheap, althoughmuch more desireable than the banshee front.

rebuildable shocks, adjustability , etc, i still vote for machine specific parts

too much hick rigging and mismatched parts , im sure someone will take offense to this and rip me apart though :ph34r:

its not so much desirable as it is cheap, althoughmuch more desireable than the banshee front.

rebuildable shocks, adjustability , etc, i still vote for machine specific parts

too much hick rigging and mismatched parts , im sure someone will take offense to this and rip me apart though :ph34r:

I think your safe on this one as the yfz conversion has been pretty much beaten down lately. :cheers:

But Drewski said it best if your on a tight budget it's ok to get you by but if you pay more then $200, your just wasting your money.

I tried it because money was tight at the time, it was fine for your basic trail riding, but as soon I tried racing with it I decided it was time to throw it in the trash. :flush: