how to fix my plastic

altbomb51

hey guys, i live on a apple farm in MI, and i ride in orchards and corn fields. i now have scratches all on my back plastic. i was wondering if you can wet sand them out? to make them look like new, or just sand them with fine sand paper? i'm not sure what to do, thanks guys.

frontrear.jpg

All my plastics looked like the ones on the left, i used steel wool to get the rough stuff out which will take out some scratches, if they're really really deep theres probably no fixing them. You can use a 3m pad which is equiv of about 1000 grit sandpaper. then wetsand it. Once you get them clean as you like wax them really good to keep shit from getting back down in the plastics.

DO NOT try to use an orbital sander or anything powered, you can oversand them and never get a shine back. Took me a few hours to get the rough off mine, but it really brought these 23 year old neglected plastics back from the dead.

Heres my tank plastic, you can see on the left it was HORRIBLE, on the right is where i was working on it with steel wool.

steelwool.jpg

and heres after i was done with the steel wool and after some wetsanding.

wetsand.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

my method isnt really long term but gets the job done. i wash the bike with an sos pad (steel wool with some sort of soap) then i wipe the quad try with armoral looks mint until you get it dirty then do it agian but it takes me 20 mins and every time it gets easyer and easyer because the armorall protects it. I made my 91 honda 4x4 look like new after 18 years and 1600hrs of abuse.

Has anyone tried a mothers powerball with the polish they sell with it. Thought that it might help bring a shine to old plastic once a person has sanded it to get all the scratches and fading out. just an idea. I am looking for a way to put some new life into some plastic for my nephews lt80.

Has anyone tried a mothers powerball with the polish they sell with it. Thought that it might help bring a shine to old plastic once a person has sanded it to get all the scratches and fading out. just an idea. I am looking for a way to put some new life into some plastic for my nephews lt80.

Yes I've tried that, and no it didn't work. I have tried just about everything to shine old plastics back up and haven't had luck with anything. I've wet sanded from 300grit up to 2000 and tried polishing, waxing etc etc. Save yourself alot of hard work, time and money and buy a new set. beer.gif

• 2 weeks later...