Stock banshee

papa_smurf49319

i live near gr also, wayland actually. You could race anything you want. I wouldnt promise you anything though. If you want some information about it, there is a track in newaygo. its called big air. here is the website. www.bigairmotox.com. you have to be a member which is 20 bucks and thats it i think. they have all the race dates also. good luck.

im going with NO, stock the quad isnt set up for mx and just a quick ride on a tough mx track on a stock shee will beat the crap out of you. check with your track, they might have a class for a stockers, but be warned...the stock stuff can not hang, youll be bending axles and a arms in no time. good luck. later

I ride pretty much stock shee on the track. I have different tire setup and things like that, but nothing major like engine mods or shocks are axle/a arms. I'll have to go with evil on this one, it DOES beat the shit out of you. It's rough as hell, but I'm getting used to it pretty much. It's just hard to keep up with everyone else when you can't really do huge jumps and cool shit like that without just about killing yourself when landing. However, it can be done. I think theres a stock class at the track, but I run Quad C, only restrictions with that is you can't do 2 of the doubles, but everything else is a go.

• 2 weeks later...
I ride pretty much stock shee on the track. I have different tire setup and things like that, but nothing major like engine mods or shocks are axle/a arms. I'll have to go with evil on this one, it DOES beat the shit out of you. It's rough as hell, but I'm getting used to it pretty much. It's just hard to keep up with everyone else when you can't really do huge jumps and cool shit like that without just about killing yourself when landing. However, it can be done. I think theres a stock class at the track, but I run Quad C, only restrictions with that is you can't do 2 of the doubles, but everything else is a go.
i race with a guy who practices on his boys stock 03, then jumps on his fullrace 02....he says its the same as swinging two bats before you go up to the plate.....

• 2 months later...

THE S IN STOCK STANDS FOR SUCKS. YOU CAN DO A STOCK SETUP FOR MX,BUT ONCE WILL BE ENOUGH.YOU GOT ENOUGH MOTOR IF YOU CAN RIDE IT,AND THAT COMES WITH A-ARMS AND SHOCKS.A GOOD PLACE TO LOOK IS EBAY AND THE CLASSIFIEDS FOR PARTS. GOOD LUCK, BEEN THERE DONE THAT WANT GO BACK(STOCK THAT IS)

My buddy that went with me to macon has an 03le with wicked products a arms and some works pro series fronts and ultracross rear. He kept up with me no problem. When it came to clearing jumps. He didn't jump the triple, he doubled singled it. His motor is bone stock except for reeds and 30mm carbs, ptr mid range pipes. The only place he couldn't keep up was on the straights and through the whoop sections. Gary the track owner said I was turning 3:30 laps and he was running about 5 min laps. If you have the abilities you can ride anything. I can jump on his shee and throw it around no problem, It just doesn't have the horsepower my mx shee does.

I raced mine stock for a whole season and won every heat I was in and placed top 5 in mains 5 times. SO yes you can race a shee stock. Last half of the season I had a axle and wheel spacers but my shocks are stock, arms are stock and haven't even touched the setting on the shocks from the factory and Im hitting 70ft+ tables and triples. Sure if you come up short or too long it hurts but just practice, practice, practice and nail every jump perfect and then all you got to worry about are braking bumps, they tossed me around pretty bad

• 2 weeks later...

well, from what i gather, i rode the entire summer on my stock 03 at a pro track(englishtown, NJ) and it beat the crap out of me....you gotta change the tires for sure...theres no getting around that...a good set of pipes...and if you have the money shocks and a-arms....personally, for next season, i plan on getting my swingarm cut, some new rubber, and if i have the money which i doubt, some pipes....but i will be racing so we'll see what happens then....

i'd say the stock rear tires are the biggest problem....i mean...i'd be going up to jumps 3rd gear almost pinned, and feel the rear end spin all the way up the face of the jump....i had no traction....around turns i was spinning out, and doubles were always a no no because i never had enough speed going into them or i'd just spin out....

Also i'd say gear it down a tooth...get some nerfs and a kill switch and go racin'

If your not sure about putting all that money into it, just race once or twice and decide. You're most likely not going to go out there and win unless you know the track with whatever you have. It's going to be a rough ride. I have axis shocks and put the stockers on while they went out for a rebuild. I rode for about five minutes and parked it. You don't notice how much your mods help until you go backward.... man what a difference. I say for you, go out, ride the track, decide what you want from there. Make sure you check your ball joints before racing it. If a ball joint or a-arm breaks.... that could hurt. Be safe, give it a shot and have fun. Not everyone can just run out and buy suspension, a-arms ... etc... Try it first and then decide.

in my opnion with the stock chassis, new rear tires will solve about 5% of your traction problem, shorten your swing arm 2 inches and your stock tires will hook, also a poorly setup rear shock will rob you of the 5% you had, leaving you with as you described pretty much no traction, if your budget doesnt allow for a whole MX setup, go for chassis and suspension first, and if your not hooking now gearing it down would make traction even more dismal, but a stock motor doesnt pull a 15 up front very well, ive seen guys with great chassis and suspension mods and stock motors other than air box mods hand built shees with lousey chassis and suspension there asses time and time again, my rule of thumb on the track would be if i can hang on pinned, i need more motor, if i cant hang on pinned to a stock motor i need suspension, why compound that by building the engine, guys win in MX cause they can go faster than the other guys over obsticles and that requires traction and suspension and of course balls, the more you build the motor on a stock chassis the less it will hook in the dirt, the more i build my motor the taller i gear it, if i can use 2 gears on the track, i can shave seconds off my time, geared down id shift my ass off, and break my tires back loose with every shift as well......

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ya'll. i dont race, but i do wanna aim my shee towards mx. But then again, i got a cottage at SL in the summer, so its gotta be fun in the dunes too. Anyways my point was, i heard a few of u guys r from around GR. Thats my home. right now im up in big rapids for college, but i go home to ride as much as i can. Just wonderin if u guys would want to meet up some time. We mostly ride in the summer, but do make a few trips in the winter. Plus we own like5 acres to ride on if u guys r ever in the area. Let me know, maby i'llgive u my email address and we can plan somehting. peace. B)