30mm OKO Carbs

DGFUNNY70

You can see my set up in my signature I was just reading that some felt the 30mm oko's had a problem with the carb bowls running dry. Looking for everyone that has these carbs and if they have experienced this and if so what did they do to fix it. Also like to hear from those that don't believe that this is the case.

ive got a set sitting on my shelf in the garage. Due to the issue of me not being able to solve this problem, after drilling out the fuel inlet line using a seperate line for each carb nothing worked.. thus they were removed and make nice paper weights. ive heard of people having ok luck with these carbs but my experince with them was a nightmare, if u are looking to buy carbs you will be doing yourself a favor by spending the extra few dollars and buying namebrand. just my opinion. these carbs are cheap and by cheap i mean cheaply made, up to the casting, everything.

ive got a set sitting on my shelf in the garage. Due to the issue of me not being able to solve this problem, after drilling out the fuel inlet line using a seperate line for each carb nothing worked.. thus they were removed and make nice paper weights. ive heard of people having ok luck with these carbs but my experince with them was a nightmare, if u are looking to buy carbs you will be doing yourself a favor by spending the extra few dollars and buying namebrand. just my opinion. these carbs are cheap and by cheap i mean cheaply made, up to the casting, everything.

I think they are a great carb for the money...but I too did have similar issues with the bowls running dry.After drilling out the fuel inlets and setting them at the correct float level.I have not had any problems with these carbs since and i run them on a 421.

The stock float level setting is wayy low on these carbs...You can set them much higher than a PWK.I think I ended up at 19 or 20 mm when all was said and done.

this is funny cause i have 30mm o.k.o and i have one issue which is a sputter on the very top end. could this be i am running the bowls dry? i am at 185 psi, ported,pc's,open airbox,sea level 130 main and a 55-52 piolet. i thought i was chasing a jetting problem but maybe not.

quick question, are you guys running a dual pingel? :confused:

No,dual feed makes no difference if the bottle neck is in the float needle or the floats are set too low.

SD 1026,easy way to check those float levels is to shut off the gas and let the bike idle until it starts to sputter.if one side goes lean wayy before the other,you will know if its out of adjustment.

I fought this problem for about 2-3 months when i did my build last year. Turned out i screwed up one float adjustment and one side was going dry. I set them the highest i could and problem was solved. Although i dont hold her WOT for miles.

What you can do which you might of already have done. Drill a hole strait through where the needle for the floats go ever 90 degrees therefor adding only 2 more holes. It would form an "+" . I did that as well as made the holes a little bigger to help fuel flow. I also put a duel pingle but as you said, that isnt your problem.

If you need pics of what i did, let me know. Ill dig through my old threads and find a picture a member on here posted. I'm sure your cub sucks more fuel than my 4mil though. I've got 162 or 165 mains i believe but each bike is different.

I personally was a little scared to cut a bowl out even though it's a common thing to do. I dont see mine ever going dry again but if it does, a float will be taken from each.

Edited by RagunCajun

I fought this problem for about 2-3 months when i did my build last year. Turned out i screwed up one float adjustment and one side was going dry. I set them the highest i could and problem was solved. Although i dont hold her WOT for miles.

What you can do which you might of already have done. Drill a hole strait through where the needle for the floats go ever 90 degrees therefor adding only 2 more holes. It would form an "+" . I did that as well as made the holes a little bigger to help fuel flow. I also put a duel pingle but as you said, that isnt your problem.

If you need pics of what i did, let me know. Ill dig through my old threads and find a picture a member on here posted. I'm sure your cub sucks more fuel than my 4mil though. I've got 162 or 165 mains i believe but each bike is different.

I personally was a little scared to cut a bowl out even though it's a common thing to do. I dont see mine ever going dry again but if it does, a float will be taken from each.

so your running the 30 o.k.o's???? what are your mods and elevation for running mains in the 160's? can you post pics of what you did to the carbs?

So put 140 mains in and the bike woke up big time. Also put 148's in and the bike felt good but lost the snappy feelin the 140 gave. Think 142 might be my sweet spot. As far as piolets I kept the 55 piolet and thinking of dropping it to a 52 just for shits and gigs. What you guys think.

• 10 months later...

Im just in the middle of a build on a buds bike. I have installed 30mm OKOs on his, and Im appreciative that you guys have helped out here on this question, as Im sure it will be a bone of contention once we fire her up. When I bought the carbs for him, I was told that the bowls had a mod done to them to help prevent them running dry, so this is obviosly a pretty common issue. Presently, were running 158 mains, and 52 pilots here in Southern Ontario.

When measuring the float height, where are you measuring from, the carb body? Dajo, is it common to remove a float, why would the manufacturer not have done this, or decreased float volume?

Ill take off the float bowl and post up a pic, as I dont know what it looked like when it wasnt modded, so I dont see a mod done.

• 2 weeks later...

Im just in the middle of a build on a buds bike. I have installed 30mm OKOs on his, and Im appreciative that you guys have helped out here on this question, as Im sure it will be a bone of contention once we fire her up. When I bought the carbs for him, I was told that the bowls had a mod done to them to help prevent them running dry, so this is obviosly a pretty common issue. Presently, were running 158 mains, and 52 pilots here in Southern Ontario.

When measuring the float height, where are you measuring from, the carb body? Dajo, is it common to remove a float, why would the manufacturer not have done this, or decreased float volume?

Ill take off the float bowl and post up a pic, as I dont know what it looked like when it wasnt modded, so I dont see a mod done.

dont worry about removing a float,dont concern yourself with that stuff.Those mods are for the races that can run a float bowl dry in a short time.Properly set your floatr height and b done with it.Dajo is gonna have some of you guys all F@)ked up lol