Did a frame swap, now a few questions

First off, I will start off by saying this is not my bike, its a buddies and I am not a 2 stroke guy...

I did a complete j-arm to a-arm frame swap for a buddy of mine. Everything went pretty smoothly, a few stuck bolts etc, but nothing too bad.

Now that I have it 99% complete, I went to fire the motor to make sure everything is working correctly and found out that the dash switch (headlight switch and on/off switch) is not working. Im unsure of the year, but there is no keyed ignition, if that makes any difference.

I figured I missed a connector somewhere, but I search and search, and I dont remember taking one apart.

Where should I start on this thing, the motor runs great, so I must of missed a ground somewhere, or the new powder coat on the a arm frame is stopping something from making a solid ground... what ground would effect the headlight and on/off switch cluster??

Thanks everyone

The coil needs a good ground, make sure the coil is grounded were it sits on the frame.

Oddly enough, I made some dyno pulls with the ignition coil zip tied to the frame. Not grounded whatsoever. I've also ran without the black wire coming from the stator grounded (that may be just for the lights :confused: ?)

Best thing to do is get a manual and go over it step by step. I had the tors box go out on mine though. Its the other little black box near the spark plug coil,try unplugging it.

TORS OBSESSION AGAIN

Read the post. Guys headlight switch is not working, and he says the motor is running great. What has that to do with the TORS.

Having a similar issue with a stock 98 Banshee.. First ride out lights were on, 30 sec and then went off. Checked for loose connections and to no avail, I'm tearing into the light switch to check the ground...

Barrowed this from http://www.dfn.com/be nkaren/elecfaq.html

Q#45:I suddenly have NO lights, what’s wrong?

A#45:Check the bulbs first, they may have just gone out from old age or vibration. Check the stator lighting coil resistance next (see Q#31), then test the wiring harness connectors and continuity (see Q#36) making sure to check the ground, and finally take apart the handlebar light switch and check out the switch itself. The light switch may have gotten water (unlikely) or filth inside, or the contacts have simply worn out.

Does the coil need to be grounded? Previous owner cut coil mounts off from frame on the girlfreinds shee, and just used a hose clamp to clamp it to bar, bike ran good but as soon as i found this i ran a jumper wire from one of the coil mounts to the gas tank mount, scraped the paint off first of course, but bike ran before i did this, i just did it for insurance.

Cody

Yeah, Im unsure of where to start on it, it fires and runs great, just wont stop running great unless I kill it or pull the 4 prong plug above the stator! lol

Also, I think this is a late 80's model (not sure of what exact year) and there is no connectors for the lights or light switch on the wire harness, its all one solid piece... is this normal or has it been cut/spliced and the splices are under the electrical tape covering the wire harness?

Yeah, Im unsure of where to start on it, it fires and runs great, just wont stop running great unless I kill it or pull the 4 prong plug above the stator! lol

Also, I think this is a late 80's model (not sure of what exact year) and there is no connectors for the lights or light switch on the wire harness, its all one solid piece... is this normal or has it been cut/spliced and the splices are under the electrical tape covering the wire harness?

All Banshees had some kind of connector for the headlights. On some early bikes it was just 3 individual bullet connectors for each light, and on the later bikes it was an actual plug.

Does the coil need to be grounded? Previous owner cut coil mounts off from frame on the girlfreinds shee, and just used a hose clamp to clamp it to bar, bike ran good but as soon as i found this i ran a jumper wire from one of the coil mounts to the gas tank mount, scraped the paint off first of course, but bike ran before i did this, i just did it for insurance.

Cody

yes, the coil grounds to its mounting tabs on the frame.