master link

SD1026

practice, and patience. you get it done quicker by going slower and steady

i just slide it on, then the outter plate holding with my fingers, then slip the clip in there and go. only takes a min. you are not trying to do it on the sprocket, or with tension are you?

if your really haven a prob. Just grab the welder and weld that bitch on there. LOL Or just stand back and start throwing tools at it. Yell at it and one swift kick. The dog barking and then the door rings. Sorry Officer, just getting my master link on!!!

if your really haven a prob. Just grab the welder and weld that bitch on there. LOL Or just stand back and start throwing tools at it. Yell at it and one swift kick. The dog barking and then the door rings. Sorry Officer, just getting my master link on!!!

I snapped a chain one day, and couldnt find a masterlink anywhere to save my life. Soooo I pulled the welder out and gave her a little zap zap. All was good and golden until it started rotating! Didnt cross my mind that i was welding something that was going to try and rotate. It worked though for about the first 14 inches!

Patience is probably my problem I have torn bikes down put them back together many times and for some reason master links always give me a problem. I usually use a c-clamp and two small sockets taped together. C-Clamp always slips and then the throwing begins and the beers start flowing real fast.

If you take a little nut that fits over the pin that sticks through the side link and squeeze it with pliers making sure to have the pliers on the backside of the pin that you have the nut on and squeeze it together, go back and forth until the side link is in place. If you don't have the pliers on the backside of the pin then it can slightly push the pin in and then you can't get the side link down far enough to get the groove exposed to get the side clip in.

Just had my chain off earlier today and removed and installed it using only a flat scewdiver....

I placed a jackstand under the swingarm and put the bike in neutral so i could freely rotate the back tires..

Found the master link and rotated it so that it was in a comfortable spot on the rear sproket..

I then put my finger behind the clip, and used the blade of the flat screwdriver on the open end and slid it up and off..

Installation was much the same way, with the chain on the rear sprocket you can easily remove/install the master link and retaining clip by sliding it on/off with the blade of a flat screwdriver. I can do it in less than 3 mins if you need a video (:

Just had my chain off earlier today and removed and installed it using only a flat scewdiver....

I placed a jackstand under the swingarm and put the bike in neutral so i could freely rotate the back tires..

Found the master link and rotated it so that it was in a comfortable spot on the rear sproket..

I then put my finger behind the clip, and used the blade of the flat screwdriver on the open end and slid it up and off..

Installation was much the same way, with the chain on the rear sprocket you can easily remove/install the master link and retaining clip by sliding it on/off with the blade of a flat screwdriver. I can do it in less than 3 mins if you need a video (:

im sure u did it in 3 min but was it a new chain???? i have x-ring chains and the really take a toll on my patients.

LOL this is hilarious

Sal how come these things always beat out asses.

Its true though, if the chain is old and worn out, it going to be harder to get it off

A new chain would be easier.

0o0o and you still owe me a chain breaker so add that to your list.

I like using the grinder with a 9'' grinding blade

Seems to work fine :headbang::headbang::headbang:

No my chain is old... Not sure how old but the bike is a 1987!

The adjusters were run way way way out and the chain was still sagging...

Im not proud but I yanked the chain off and used a punch to drive out a pin and removed a link.. *ducks and hides*

Edited by pondtunes