best hooking dirt tire

krauss4

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20x11x9 kenda knarly cut and run at about 2 PSI.

these tires were on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place bikes in District 23 Hillclimb and the 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th place bikes at the AMA National Hillclimb.

n108001394_30950516_6405.jpg

n108001394_31140956_7062763.jpg

I'll give you $50 shipped for those there since they're old, used and worn out.ph34r.gif

Does cutting every other lug row really make much of a difference? what are the pros and cons? Does it sacrafice tire life?

yes it makes a huge difference. kenda knarlys uncut are a pretty worthless tire. the lugs are too hard for them to work uncut.

the pros of cutting these tires are:

1. reduced tire weight

2. increased traction

there really arent any cons to cutting these tires. they serve their purpose. i wouldnt trail ride them, but as far as straight line dragging or hillclimbing on dirt, they cant be beat. as far as tire life, the last set i had lasted me like 3 or 4 years. we have about 10 hillclimbs per year.

if these tires didnt work, i wouldnt use them. ive tried and tested a ton of dirt tires over the years. these are by far the best.

yeah, I've got some uncut, and you might as well be running slicks. They won't even hook on a 4 stroke. How did you cut yours loco? I don't have a tire groover, or anything.

first i cut off the lugs with a sawzall with a course wood blade. then i used an electric heated sticker remover to remove any excess..

what is your setup that you arent getting these tires to hook? swingarm length? tire pressure?

also, what dirt?

i find it hard to believe you cant get these tires to hook. ive got plenty of videos to show the hooking power of these tires. my 450 wont even turn them over.

Tyler, I think Jared was saying his un-cut tires don't hook worth a damn, and was wanting info on how you cut yours so maybe he could cut his and get some traction ;)

hahaha fuck yea, i just reread it and his are uncut.. i read it several times earlier and it didnt even jump out at me that he said uncut.. i agree, uncut knarlys arent worth a fuck. the lugs are entirely too hard, but thats what makes them a good tire when you cut them.

by the way, where you been travis? you need to stop in more..

hey loco, why wouldnt you trail ride the knarly's? what tire you like to trail ride the best? sorry for getting off subject

the lugs on the knarlys are too close together and too hard for trail riding. they just dont hook that hard when they are uncut.

for trail riding i recommend stock yfz450 tires because they are cheap, lightweight and wear pretty well.. i run them on my yfz450 now.

my next trail tire will be these.. they are beefy, hook hard and arent too terribly heavy.

http://farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=174

i run the knarlys the trails and they hook damn good for me. My buddy has holeshot gncc's and we both get off the line the same. I cant keep my front end down in the grass, and they do damn good for me anyways in the trails. Debating on if i wanna cut em or not.

i run the knarlys the trails and they hook damn good for me. My buddy has holeshot gncc's and we both get off the line the same. I cant keep my front end down in the grass, and they do damn good for me anyways in the trails. Debating on if i wanna cut em or not.

if you cut them, good luck getting turned going fast around corners.. they will want to push you forward. watch this for example.

what about pro wedge II's?

people around home swear by them but i havent seen much about em online.

my neighbor had holeshots on his raptor and they wouldnt hook for anything. he put the pro wedges on and couldnt get em to turn over to save his life.

pro wedges are great tires but they are not for hard packed dirt they are for more of a deeper terrain, like sand,snow and more of a softer ground