Toomey Pipe interchange and big bore kit questions

This winter, Im looking to get a lil more serious with modifications on my bike. First off, I found a set of T5 Toomey head pipes, and want to know if I buy these, will they bolt right up to my stingers that are on my T6s right now? Reason for the T5s is Im leaning towards a 404cc big bore kit and having aggressive trail/play porting done. Im keeping the costs down and sticking with stock carbs.

So, can I bolt the head pipes up, what big bore kit does everyone recommend, and does anyone have recommendations on where to get the port work done?

Anyone have experience with www.eastcoastatv.com? I know they build some pretty serious banshees so I would assume they can do the port work and they are only 30min from where Im stationed.

not to shure on the pipes havent run toomys since the t-3s k&t does my portwork there work is top knotch but if you stick with one of top names on here you couldnt go wrong nothing hurts like bad work and itll go around fast so a good rebutable builder will do you good

I'm pretty sure the stingers are interchangable. I would get your stock cylinders dune ported by someone on here and with the money you're gonna save from not buying the 404 get some 33's and you'll be MORE then happy.

So youre suggesting I just rebuild the topend and just have the stock cylinders ported then buy some 33 carbs? How much difference in cost would there be? I like to ride some rough trails, so I dont dont want to lose too much bottom end power w/ an overly aggressive port job, but I still really enjoy picking on the 450s. What would be an ideal port job and who should I contact on here?

I would call Jeff at FAST or Kevin Herr of Herr juggs for your porting needs/questions. Both are site sponsers. I would imagine a good dune port would be what you're looking for. As far as cost savings, think about it this way, instead of buying completly new cylinders and pistons you're just getting yours done along with probably some new pistons. Do you have a cool head yet? If not get it all done at once, if you have the funds. Dave Noss is a sponser here as well and he makes outstanding heads. Bud, if you get the porting, carbs, cool head and advanced timing plate you'll think you have a whole new bike. Oh, and thanks for your service to our Country. Outstanding.

Edited by Toomey Banshee

Allright, this is my 2 cents. It sounds like you want a bike that can still be very trail friendly and have enough pop to pick on the occasional 4 poke. I just put together a 350. The cylinders were ported by Jeff at FAST and he did a play/dune port on them. I am running +5 timing, 180 psi compression and STOCK carbs with T5s, it runs great. It is going to take a lot of 450 to outrun it in a drag race, but the powerband is just about like stock, just a lot more of it. You dont need bigger carbs to get where you want to be IMHO. Before you go buying new pipes Id call and talk with Jeff, i bet you dont even need the new pipes. I imagine he can port it to make those T6s work great.

• 8 months later...

I know im not as well known as the others on this site but my 2 cents is to get the cylinders ported like everyone else said. Get the port job you want a dune port to me is more of a mid top port but everyone has a different opinion. Then to gain some bottem end add an adjustable timing plate. Personally I run the pwk 28s theyre gain some power over stock but are small enough that you wont be losing bottem end. I guess everyone has a different opinion mabey my ideas making scence in my head but not realy logical. Another way I look at it is build it for bottem end with a nice agressive mx port and then add big carbs to gain some good topend. Ive always been told bigger carbs = more top end and a smaller carb like a 28 will retain better bottem end. A port job will run around 300 which is probvably less then the bigbore without the portng. An adjustable stator plate runs about 50 and carbs vary. You can always bore stock carbs to 28 in a pinch.

I recently put together a 4mil with FAST ported cylinders. I got the play/dune port, adjustable timing set at +4, 21cc domes, v-force reeds, t-5s and 28mm pwks. The bike runs great on the trails and pulls great in the mid and top. There is more there if I went with pods, bigger carbs and some diffrent pipes. but right now I am more then happy with it. I noticed a major diffrence.

Edited by wideopeninpa