No Link Rear Setup

decon

I've been looking and searching for hours, I've been quite interested in a no link rear setup. Im wondering how beneficial it is, and is it for any type of riding? I understand that it requires a longer shock and the swingarm mount has to be moved closer to the engine? what about the top shock mount? Insight would be helpful.

Edited by dEcon

I've been looking and searching for hours, I've been quite interested in a no link rear setup. Im wondering how beneficial it is, and is it for any type of riding? I understand that it requires a longer shock and the swingarm mount has to be moved closer to the engine? what about the top shock mount? Insight would be helpful.

It is mainly used in drag racing. It reduces weight by not having the dog bone, and helps get power to the ground my eliminating unnecessary linkage (aka dogbone).

Not recommended for duning, or any other riding really. It worsens suspension geometry and proper travel of the rear shock.

I would recommend it for drag racing purposes only :thumbsup:

Edit: yes, the mounting location on the swingarm is flipped to the underside, and nothing has to be changed on the frame.

I dont know if this helps or not, but I have one on my outlaw/250R geometry shee. Its a 250r style swingarm with a no link setup. The bike is built for MX racing. The rear shock is a quad rate Elka and the shock body is long as hell. There is a tone of free sag and travel is about 13 or 14 inches from what i can estimate. It is very plush the first few inches and the progression is great changing to very firm the last few inches. It is the best rear suspensiion I have ever ridden on (best front too) and handles EVERYTHING you throw at it. I have a couple of pics that show it. You can see the top shock mount is MUCH higher than stock to allow the long shock body. I guess all I can really suggest to you is that with the right shock spring rates, valving, etc and the right frame geometry to use it then its awsome. On a stock banshee frame with a stock length rear shock, I'm not sure it would really be that great for anything beyond drag racing like 87sheerips said, but I could be wrong as I have not personally tried it.

6outlaw.jpg

2outlaw.jpg

outlaw1.jpg

outlaw2.jpg

Edited by Jayy

exactly as others have said.. What the linkage does is provide a progressive rate for the spring. On a banshee.. the no-link setups is mainly for drag racing. The linkage was designed for the stock shock wich is a single rate spring.

If its mainly for drag racing then what about the no link setups on say the dean sundahl frames, he does desert racing if i remember right. so your saying they would provide no use for duning and desert riding? like going through lots of whoops, etc

• 6 years later...
  • 10 months later...

mays issue of dirt wheels has a banshee in it that an old timer uses for desert races. On his bike it's still a stock frame but the front shock mounts were raised one inch and the rear shock mount was raised also. The lower shock mount bolts to some sort of block that deletes the dog bone. It was custom made no good pics in magazine to show this. Beadlocks, tire blocks, fasst flex bars, raised seat, bigger tank, lone star arms, Hinson clutch basket. Would be a good bike to duplicate for us trail riders. Since the 250r/outlaw frames are hard to come by now.

My 250rs run a link why would the aftermarket banshee frames run a no link setup? I thought they were made to duplicate the 250r geo.

Sent from Planned Parenthood

There are both link and no link variations out there. Typically based on CR500 either way.