boss billet intake problem

slopoke

glad to hear that it worked out

i have a boss intake with built in crossover and i would like to know where did you add the rtv sealent.

between the two pieces of the boss intake itself. or between the reed and the boss intake.

thanx

Here is what I did: Prior to me posting I had a idea that it was the intake just too lazy to build the tester. I had used yamahabond on the reed side and the middle of the intake with no improvement. That's when I posted this. I figured yamabond would work and I tried it 3 different ways but it did not. The stuff is not as great as some lead you to believe. So after I verified the intake was indeed leaking in the middle I bought some permatex black rtv. I applied a small bead in the middle (where intake splits) and let it cure for 10 min. I then put the other half on and just snugged it lightly by hand. I let it sit for an hour and tightend the 4 screws slightly. I then bolted it back to the cylinders and torqued it down starting from the middle working out. Let it sit overnight and wala. Worked like a dream. Very important to let the rtv cure a while or the fuel coming through will just cut it right out. I also took a large piece of glass and laid a piece of sandpaper on it and resurfaced the two halves.

Edited by slopoke

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very simple fix is to buy our intakes. We engineer them correctly and use only Mikuni Boots. You will always be risking air leaks with other boots. Other boots don't last as long either. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

This is a pretty simple solution! Too bad I tried to save a little money using Boss back in the day. Lessons learned I guess.

Here is what I did: Prior to me posting I had a idea that it was the intake just too lazy to build the tester. I had used yamahabond on the reed side and the middle of the intake with no improvement. That's when I posted this. I figured yamabond would work and I tried it 3 different ways but it did not. The stuff is not as great as some lead you to believe. So after I verified the intake was indeed leaking in the middle I bought some permatex black rtv. I applied a small bead in the middle (where intake splits) and let it cure for 10 min. I then put the other half on and just snugged it lightly by hand. I let it sit for an hour and tightend the 4 screws slightly. I then bolted it back to the cylinders and torqued it down starting from the middle working out. Let it sit overnight and wala. Worked like a dream. Very important to let the rtv cure a while or the fuel coming through will just cut it right out. I also took a large piece of glass and laid a piece of sandpaper on it and resurfaced the two halves.

great post and good information.

i bet mine is leaking like shit

why is that they are shiit while everybody is recommending them. When I did a search to buy one it was like if you didn't get a boss intake you are insane. if they are shiit then people should have start saying.

Edited by screamin_banshee_2003

I feel the same way. I feel like the problem starts by incorrectly torqing them down. People just pic a bolt and tighten the crap out of it. Anything that is aluminum is prone to warpage more so than other materials. Boss is working fine for me now with no problem. I believe if I would ave bought new problem may have been avoided. REMEMBER, YOU ALSO (DON'T) ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You can take nothing and make something it just depends on the amount of time you are willing to spend.

I guess you haven't been doing this long. In this sport about 95% of the time you DO get what you paid for.

naw not long at all just about as long as you been alive. Don't fool yourself into thinking just because it cost more it is better. If you think that you have not been around long. Not being rude just stating the facts

naw not long at all just about as long as you been alive. Don't fool yourself into thinking just because it cost more it is better. If you think that you have not been around long. Not being rude just stating the facts

Well then old timer, if your statement is true, then you know first hand your wrong.

Two points here...if everyone could do this stuff, you could build your bike from parts bought at walmart...

Then there's know how and experience.

With the latter, you can make most stuff work if there is a problem.

You know sometimes I can't say what I mean or phrase it correctly but you do a GREAT JOB JR I think i did buy a part or two at wal-mart :thumbsup:

Edited by slopoke