boss billet intake problem

slopoke

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What needles are you running?

I wouldn't use rtv or high temp sealer on the intake or reeds. Gasoline breaks it down. If you need to use a sealer then use yamabond, threebond, moto seal, or any other sealer designed for engine cases.

That is incorrect. Many sealants are in fact oil and gasoline proof.

I use RTV on my intakes and a thin coat on my base gaskets, and haven't had an issue with methanol or gas.

All the permatex black, blue, high temp red and black that I've ever used.

It will say on the package when you buy it.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotiv...e_Sealant_b.htm

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotiv...o_1_Sealant.htm

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotiv...nt_Dressing.htm

Very good point. The carb spray will only find bigger leaks...real tiny leaks sometimes won't show.

The leak down tester is obviously the best solution, but anyone can go buy a can of carb cleaner for a few buck, often having one laying around the garage.

Some people might not have the mean to make their own.

Bob from R&B Porting in MI makes a very nice kit for very reasonable, usually around 50 bucks on ebay. He's done all the part hunting for you, I have one, very quality unit.

have you more info on the seach on ebay to find the leak down tester from R&B porting, I haven't found it.

thanks

Ok guys.....did the leak down and the boss intake was a bubble factory. Ether or carb cleaner would NOT find the leak. It was leaking everywhere. I sealed it with black rtv neatly no gobs and let it sit all day and tightened it down. It ran like a screaming banshee!!!! Ended up with 56 pilots and 167 mains and 2 turns out on airscrews with the CE L int the 4th notch. Idles perfect and is crisp all the way through with topend out of this world. Thanks for all the help.

have you more info on the seach on ebay to find the leak down tester from R&B porting, I haven't found it.

thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Bans...sQ5fAccessories

I KNOW the picture only shows part of the tool. I promise you, it's all there. Bob is a great guy, and I've recommended his kit to a TON of people, not one issue yet....

Ok guys.....did the leak down and the boss intake was a bubble factory. Ether or carb cleaner would NOT find the leak. It was leaking everywhere. I sealed it with black rtv neatly no gobs and let it sit all day and tightened it down. It ran like a screaming banshee!!!! Ended up with 56 pilots and 167 mains and 2 turns out on airscrews with the CE L int the 4th notch. Idles perfect and is crisp all the way through with topend out of this world. Thanks for all the help.

well thats good you figured it out, but those jets seem way off for any setup. where did you find 167 mains? did you mean 168? are you sure youre not way too rich everywhere? did you do a WOT plug check?

Not to mention 56 pilots...it's 50, 52, 55, 58 and 60.... :whistling:

I agree, I think the jetting is too rich, however...safely rich and if you feel it's running good, leave it.

I would of course do a WOT plug check just to be sure....

ah shit, it was early this morning..

yea if it runs good at that jetting, i think theres still a problem. ive never heard of anyone having that high of a pilot. thats crazy. the main is a little more believable but still pretty high.

We run 55 to 60 pilots in our alky bikes. Which, as most know...take twice as much fuel as a gas bike.

well yea, that makes sense.. but this isnt an alky bike is it??

ive never run anything higher than a 48 pilot and 162 main on a 4mm stock cyl motor, 4mm cub and 10mm cub motor with 33, 35 or 39mm pwk.. i generally settle in about 45 pilot and 160 main, which is what my 10mm cub has in it right now with 39mm pwk..