Question for builders or Experts

I got back from st. anthony and choke cherry and the other huge dunes made me seriously question the setup of my banshee. I am running a fairly stock bike/ Paul Turner Mid Ranges, Stock Carbs, Pods, Carbon Fiber Boysens, And a cool head with 20cc domes. I am looking to build a motor to run on pump gas and porting will happen this winter. I formerly had CPIs and hated the power range of all top end. I also think I went to the other extreme with the low end of the Paul Turners. So as a builder or someone eith some experience with how pipes are effected by porting which pipes would you reccomend? t-5's tr6's any other? I also had some severe issues with the stock carbs IE float sticking and just general puking of fuel. I was thinking 28 pwks or 30mm okos. Once again what would compliment a dune port? Thanks in Advance for the Advice.

t5's are a really nice pipe.when you decide what pipe you are going to go with make sure you let the bulder know so that can do the port that will work the best for them.on a dune port i would look into getting a set of 33pwk's

33s are not going to be too much for a stock stroke bike? I figured 28's would be a modest improvement without overcarbing. It is not a 85hp + motor. I for one was also leaning towards t5s. But I rode a super fast bike this week at st. anthonies w/ tr6s which from my understanding perfromed best with stock ports? Thanks so far for the input.

Im not a builder or an expert so Im mot sure Im qualified to respond, but I can give you my opinion having been there and done that..

First I had a bone stock bike other than FMF fatties and a rejet.

Then I had basically the same mods you do but w T-5's

Next came the HJR dune ported 4mil, 34mm carbs, kept the T-5's and ran it on pump gas.

That set up was nice, quick, amd torquey. Only problem I had was if beating on it in the hillclimbs/treeshoots it would overheat. Cooling system was in tact, I was just working it too hard in the boggy wet sand, low speed 1st gear pegged riding (no airflow), and steep steep ass hillclimbs

Next step after that was where it is now, shearers and 35.5 mikunis running it on methanol. If I had it to do over I would skip straight to the last step obviously. I love it!

You would like a ported 4mil on T-5's though, will get around the dunes really well and can fly if setup right.

Just let your porter know what you're going to run and have him set it up w that in mind and it will do good.

I wouldn't waste my money on pipes that were optimized for stock porting, since thats really where the power you're wanting comes from.

I'd go for a 4mil if you can, if not get your stock cyls ported and a set of T-5s and a 28-32mm carb and set it up right and it'll run hard.

yep 4mill dune port with pwk33's,and t5's would be a fun ride. I look at it this way, a 4mill gives you a stronger midrange. You can give that midrange up in exchange for top end by running CPI's. It would probably have a stronger midrange pull than your stock port pt mids.

There is always people looking to trade t5's for cpi's if you absolutly hate them.

I personally feel the cpi pipes are a much better mid-top pipe than T5's or T6's. With dune port durations, I would run some 30-32mm carbs, and bring the compression up quite a bit. I definitely would raise it high enough to be running at least 50/50 race gas (165psi)

Im building another bike,I toiled with stock stroke for a lil because I had evberything I needed,needless to say I rode wacko2000 4mil set-up and im going 4mil on a trail/dune bike,Im going CPI,33mmpwk,50/50race/pump.You should have kept the CPIs ,once you port they come alive

Im building another bike,I toiled with stock stroke for a lil because I had evberything I needed,needless to say I rode wacko2000 4mil set-up and im going 4mil on a trail/dune bike,Im going CPI,33mmpwk,50/50race/pump.You should have kept the CPIs ,once you port they come alive

i got them now :evil: you didnt like how the mids ran or what? i love these cpi's man. with my 4mil cub its got a rediculous amount of top end it just never stops pulling. but good luck man. just see how much money you wanna spend you can build it as bad as you want. basics are just porting, carbs, timing, compression, good pipes and higher octane gas. i think thats basics... :

Poorboy dont get me wrong I love the bottom and mid range of the PT's but St. ANthony prooved to me that you need to run a banshee for what they are built for high rpms and top end power. I couldn't pull any of the huge dunes in anything more than second because it was the only gear I could build higher rpms in. I am getting it ported but I am trying to make a decision on the pipes I want to get it ported to. So far the info is as I expected and I will see what my builder says and go from their.

i would absolutely build a 4mm motor in this situation. if you want power for the big hills, you need to go 4mm. run 35mm pwk carbs and run either cpi's or shearers.. i understand you dont want all top end. you can always keep the gearing low enough on it to lug some hills if need be, but the pipes will make up the lack of gearing on the top end.