R6 Banshee Project

Just curious on how much more weight a rocket motor would add to the banshee. Im thinking about throwing a crotch rocket motor and my banshee and want to know any tips, and suggestions from the guys who have done it before. It doesnt nessceasrly have to be a r6 motor either.

Thanks Mike

From what i have seen they are way heavier... Not real easy to trail ride with either.. dunes would be ok... youll have plenty of fab work thts for sure..

They are heavy and not as fast as a 4 or 10 mil,but you would definately have something different. :cool:

They are heavy and not as fast as a 4 or 10 mil,but you would definately have something different. :cool:

X2.

R6 engines weights about 120 pounds, and puts out 123hp, depending on the year.

I would say the banshee engine ways about 45-50 pounds.

Thats why you go turbo busa or turbo any crotch rocket engine. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, i almost purchased one yesterday but im glad i waited on your info, i was looking on herr jugs racing and they're 4 mil was $1,625, 90hp, do you think that and a set of cpi inframes would be better, and also do you guys get larger sprockets when you mod this much because i was thinking that i would run out gear very quick.

From what I've seen, most bike motors will require you to cut the frame to make it taller, allowing the extra room needed for the height of the motor. The mounts probably wouldn't be too difficult. The exhaust I would imagine to be a PITA. If you do use a normal bike exhaust then your pipes are going to exit under the 'shee. You then loose ground clearance and have to worry about denting the exhaust causing a restriction. I'm sure they would be very reliable as long as you hooked it up right. Most likely you would never get out of 2nd gear, maybe 3rd in the dunes.

We rode with a guy last year around the Bull Gap area in Michigan that had a suzuki 900 in his banshee. Seemed to be ok but sure wouldn't jump it or do any hard riding. Just my .02.

Thanks for the info, i almost purchased one yesterday but im glad i waited on your info, i was looking on herr jugs racing and they're 4 mil was $1,625, 90hp, do you think that and a set of cpi inframes would be better, and also do you guys get larger sprockets when you mod this much because i was thinking that i would run out gear very quick.

My 4mil runs strong but if its is better that is hard to say, depends on the ridder. Assuming, you never been on a 4 mil and i'll tell you there fast, 1/4 throttle and I can easly keep up to my friends banshee that is pushing 55 hp, thats well over stock hp.

So I don't know your riding skills, only you know but you need to be real with yourself and don't go and build something that is beyond your riding ability, so maybe you can handle a 4mil.

4mil is not to crazy, I trail ride mine but I really don't pin it just cuz trails are not long enough, but i have the luxury to drag race it also.

Do you think an r6 motor would be much more reliable than a built shee motor. I'm thinking it would.

Yeah, thats kinda of a given. Built shee reliablity gets less and less the more modified you go, as with an r6 cuz that thing is stock.

Edited by sandman81

AS FAR AS THE POWER OF WHAT EVER I BUILD, IF IT IS SCARY THAN I DID A GOOD JOB, I AM ALWAYS LOOKING TO GO FASTER AS ANYONE, I HAVE NOT RIDIN A 4 MIL SHEE OR A STOCK PIPED BANSHEE AT THAT, BUT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INTO SPEED, I DO ALOT OF OPEN TRAIL RIDING AND WILL DRAG ANYONE THAT WANTS TOO, ALTHOUGH MOST PEOPLE ARE SCARED OF THE OLD DINOSAUR, EVEN THOUGH IT IS 15 YEARS OLD.

I JUST DONT WANT TO HAVE TO REBUILD IT EVERY COUPLE YEARS, AND I GOT LUCKY ON MY STOCK MOTOR NEVER REBUILT AT ALL HOLDS GREAT COMPRESSION, NO LEAKS RIPS FOR A STOCK SHEE BUT IM WORRIED THAT MY LUCK MIGHT RUN OUT AND SHE GOES BOOM AND CRACKS A CASE OR SOMETHING.

MIKE

iv seen a honda with a 600 motor in it and it was fast as holy hell. it was way faster then the crf 450 I was on. I dont agree that a 4 mill at 90hp can compete with them they are super fast. However they are only super fast in a streight smooth line. a 4 mill can do basically anything the street motor bike cant. The pipes were like 4 inches off the ground so any off camper area could have caused some serious damage. I say go for it but you seriously restrict the type of riding your going to be doing.

Edited by sangheraent

AFTER ACTUALLY THINKING ABOUT IT BEST BET FOR ME, WOULD BE TO GO WITH A CUB, LESS WEIGHT, MORE CLEARANCE, NO FABRICATION, AND IT WOULD BE A HELL OF A LOT FASTER THAN MY STOCK MOTOR, PLUS I DONT HAVE TO SEARCH AROUND FOR A SMASHED BIKE THAT WOULD HOPEFULLY HAVE A GOOD MOTOR AND THAT DOESNT HAVE 10000 PLUS MILES, AND HAVE ALL THE ELECTRICAL ATTACHED.

MIKE

It isn't true that a 4mil can do anything and a bike motor can't. we build our as a duner its no bigger or heavir the a stock DS 650. we built it to be a duner I can fly through the whoops and jump it a little bit. But we made the motor a little too low. but name a 4 mil u can ride all day on less then 5 gallons of gas. don't let ayone talk you out of it its sooo much fn to be able to smoke almost everyone without leaving 1st gear. A stroker may make almost as much power BUT the mike motor has a flatter power curve it on long and IMHO pulls much harder for longer.

THANKS FOR POSTING INFERNO, MAYBE ILL DO A LITTLE MORE RESEARCH ON THE BIKE MOTORS, IF YOU HAD TO PICK A GOOD MOTOR TO THROW IN ONE WOULD IT BE, AND WOULD YOU GET A NEWER FUEL INJECTED ONE OR AN OLD CARBURETED ONE .