The DYNO SHEET thread...

They are installing a new Dynojet Dyno that'll do quads right now, as I'm writing this in my friends' shop... http://www.leescycle.com/.

I guess there is a point of view as to which dyno is better. Mine is that 990% of the dyno's out there are from Dynojet so they have become the standard reference machine. Other manufacturers may claim a (arguably) greater accuracy for a single measurement like peak HP, but the transitional curve between the start and the end of the run will be very similar.

Anyone can fudge the numbers...punch in a different ambient temp, change the altitude, whatever.

I've personally seen a 9HP difference just from changing a worn chain/sprok set for new!! Not to mention, tire weight, composition, pressure, tread design ALL have a hand on the final result.

Yea, I like to brag my ZX10r puts down 167.5HP at the rear wheels but it was the dyno that allowed me to tune and set my Power Commander to achieve my state of tune.

HP readings ore only relative to the same dyno machine...period. You can only accurately compare quads. bikes, or cars that were tuned on the same dyno.

I'll post my run in a couple of weeks!! :evil:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That should be able to beat a bolt on shee for sure. a 450 beats a 52 hp banshee due to traction and tq. I never got to race a 450 with cams etc so i dont know.

this 450 is kinda freakish. my buddy just got an athena big bore kit, hot cams, ported, k&N, and hmf system, and cdi box. And i can take him with this bike by like 3 or 4 bike lengths. A little has to do with rider but but when we are 3/4 the way up the hill and im in 4th gear and so is he, he doesn't close in on me.

I guess there is a point of view as to which dyno is better. Mine is that 990% of the dyno's out there are from Dynojet so they have become the standard reference machine. Other manufacturers may claim a (arguably) greater accuracy for a single measurement like peak HP, but the transitional curve between the start and the end of the run will be very similar.

Anyone can fudge the numbers...punch in a different ambient temp, change the altitude, whatever.

I've personally seen a 9HP difference just from changing a worn chain/sprok set for new!! Not to mention, tire weight, composition, pressure, tread design ALL have a hand on the final result.

HP readings ore only relative to the same dyno machine...period. You can only accurately compare quads. bikes, or cars that were tuned on the same dyno.

I agree with some of that, but the Dynojets are crappy dyno's........... They are either a friction brake or inertia brake design, their instrumentation is crappy, and their repeatability is poor. On top of that, they due not have the ability to hold a sustained load at a given RPM for any reaqsonable amount of time.

I don't think it really comes down to manufacturer's claims.........Dynojet make the crappiest mainstream dyno package on the market.

I agree with some of that, but the Dynojets are crappy dyno's........... They are either a friction brake or inertia brake design, their instrumentation is crappy, and their repeatability is poor. On top of that, they due not have the ability to hold a sustained load at a given RPM for any reaqsonable amount of time.

I don't think it really comes down to manufacturer's claims.........Dynojet make the crappiest mainstream dyno package on the market.

Never had a problem with repeatability with ours, or my friends.

I am not really sure what you are questioning.......... That is nothing special by any means, but it definitely is good, and I cannot exactly repeat the run, so I got a little lucky. I can repeat a ~115hp run though.

That might of sounded kinda shitty.

I was trying to be funny and tell you to go back to bed because you were "dreaming"

I wouldn't ever question you, because I respect you as a very educated and respected member.

I've never seen #'s like that unless it was on alky with big carbs and out of frame's.

Is that at the wheels? Your red bike with CPI inframes on gas? Thats very impressive.

That might of sounded kinda shitty.

I was trying to be funny and tell you to go back to bed because you were "dreaming"

I wouldn't ever question you, because I respect you as a very educated and respected member.

I've never seen #'s like that unless it was on alky with big carbs and out of frame's.

Is that at the wheels? Your red bike with CPI inframes on gas? Thats very impressive.

The power is measured at the PTO...... and it's on CPI In-frames on a type of gas (may not be what you're thinking). :geek:

Ok what kind of gas? Whats a PTO? A drive shaft off the sprocket?

Yeah, sorry, that what I was getting at: Driveshaft off of the sprocket output shaft. I laike that better than dealing wit hthe hysteresis of the chain on the chassis dyno.

Some of tech.'s at work don't seem to like that I have recently, not been removing the engine from the frame to get on the engine dyno. I made a rack to mount the quad sideways in front of the absorber, which the process of getting the quad on seems to get sand on the floor (which I clean up). :ermm:

Might head over to a superflow in the coming months. If I do, I'll let you know how they compare. I can already tell you that the superflow will read around 13% less though.

Who's Superflow are you going to (GP's?)?

In my opinion, you can't really go into any dyno with the mindset that a dyno is going to read less than another dyno. The Superlfow hardware is probably closer to being correct, and if you are truely using the bike as a tunign aid, then it really doesn't matter what hp or torque the dyno says you made.

If you can tune the engine to the point that you cannot make any more changes to increase the engines torque or hp output, then you got done, what you needed to get done. The dyno could give you numbers in the units of cocoa puffs for all that it matters as long as it is accurate, repeatable, andconsistant in it's measurings of cocoa puffs. :geek:

Who's Superflow are you going to (GP's?)?

In my opinion, you can't really go into any dyno with the mindset that a dyno is going to read less than another dyno. The Superlfow hardware is probably closer to being correct, and if you are truely using the bike as a tunign aid, then it really doesn't matter what hp or torque the dyno says you made.

If you can tune the engine to the point that you cannot make any more changes to increase the engines torque or hp output, then you got done, what you needed to get done. The dyno could give you numbers in the units of cocoa puffs for all that it matters as long as it is accurate, repeatable, andconsistant in it's measurings of cocoa puffs. :geek:

I know the dynojet very well which is why I know what it will read versus the superflow. I don't care about the specific numbers. Hell, if I wanted ungodly numbers I can have the correction factor changed and it will read anything I want. That is not what anybody is after.

I am not sure what makes you think I am going to the dyno just to verify the dynojet numbers. There will be changes. That IS the purpose of a dyno after all.