anyone thought of this

pinkshee

so i was looking at my head gasket today in comparison to the jugs and the head. i noticed that the water jackets on both the head and the jugs have a little more material in the gasket space. has anyone ever thought of removing that material to open the water jackets up to match the gasket? it seems like it would flow a little better since there is more of an opening. i am thinking about doing this while mine is apart, waiting on a piston.

on a side note, what generally go on during a dome re-chambering? is the squish band narrowed to give the dome more of a cone shape?

btw definitely mic your cylinders if you buy a used bike. turns out the reason i was blowing pistons is because i was putting std pistons in .020 over jugs. $300 bones later i figured this out. don't roast me for this either.

so i was looking at my head gasket today in comparison to the jugs and the head. i noticed that the water jackets on both the head and the jugs have a little more material in the gasket space. has anyone ever thought of removing that material to open the water jackets up to match the gasket? it seems like it would flow a little better since there is more of an opening. i am thinking about doing this while mine is apart, waiting on a piston.

on a side note, what generally go on during a dome re-chambering? is the squish band narrowed to give the dome more of a cone shape?

btw definitely mic your cylinders if you buy a used bike. turns out the reason i was blowing pistons is because i was putting std pistons in .020 over jugs. $300 bones later i figured this out. don't roast me for this either.

^^^^^^^^ thats funny

gasket to cylinder match .. is a good mod dont take a bunch out because the alumi wont tranfer heat as well

to chanber the heads it is to widen or narrow the squish band for power out put and to prevent predetinaion ...

Coolant doesnt really circulate through the jugs any way. It just flows across the top of the head. As the coolant heats up it does cause it to circulate some. A cool head with deverters can cause the coolant to flow down in to they cylinders a little.

josh

Coolant doesnt really circulate through the jugs any way. It just flows across the top of the head. As the coolant heats up it does cause it to circulate some. A cool head with deverters can cause the coolant to flow down in to they cylinders a little.

josh

from the looks of it, it appears that the water jackets run at least a quarter of the way down the jug so the coolant has to flow down there, at least a little.

btw i am talking about a stock head

I guess you have never seen a small block chevy or ford. They have headgaskets that have 1/8 holes where the head and block have 3/4 holes. You can actually move coolant too fast. It will cavitate, and moce so fast that it picks up no heat. Move the coolant too fast, and it won't dissapate the heat at the radiator, it will all just equal out in temprature. I think yamaha did a little research when making these, leave it alone, or get a cool head if you have many mods.

I guess you have never seen a small block chevy or ford. They have headgaskets that have 1/8 holes where the head and block have 3/4 holes. You can actually move coolant too fast. It will cavitate, and moce so fast that it picks up no heat. Move the coolant too fast, and it won't dissapate the heat at the radiator, it will all just equal out in temprature. I think yamaha did a little research when making these, leave it alone, or get a cool head if you have many mods.

yea that makes sense those tunnels sizes may in some way or another act as a thermostat. and trust me i kno from experience when coolant flows thru a system to fast it overheats b/c the coolant doest get a chance to stay in the radiator long enough to cool down

from the looks of it, it appears that the water jackets run at least a quarter of the way down the jug so the coolant has to flow down there, at least a little.

btw i am talking about a stock head

What I am saying is that the coolant doesnt really circulate around the cylinders. The coolant flows right cross the top of the cylinder head. THere is nothing that forces the coolant to do down in to the cylinders water jackets.