Want to set up a torquey trail monster?

robert0762

Mine does good on the trails. Not a lot of money into it either.

Get some 28 mm carbs

Pro Series Boyesen Reeds

Pro Circuit Exhaust

Timing Plate

Good quality biting tires

Skid plates everywhere

Do that and she'll grab when you hit it.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if im wrong. Depends on the port job, a bigger carb hurts low end. You need high velocity(stock carbs are fine or 28's) to get the best gains. Someone can correct me or confirm that please.

You're right most of the time, but IMO if you go stroker you need more than tiny little 28mm carbs to feed it properly. just to compare. my girl's YZ 85, comes with a pwk 28 from the factory, and its not hurt on low-end, 125cc MX bikes get 38mm... and they still have decent lowend. With that in mind, 33mm carb on a 180 ishh CC Banshee stroker cyl is far from overkill. But then again I also think that my 4 mil dune port with shearer's and 33 pwk is the best trail motor i've ever had. its all about timing and compression. :evil:. I guess it also depends on what types of trail you're refering to, for me trails are abandoned railroad beds and logging/fireroads.

You're right most of the time, but IMO if you go stroker you need more than tiny little 28mm carbs to feed it properly. just to compare. my girl's YZ 85, comes with a pwk 28 from the factory, and its not hurt on low-end, 125cc MX bikes get 38mm... and they still have decent lowend. With that in mind, 33mm carb on a 180 ishh CC Banshee stroker cyl is far from overkill. But then again I also think that my 4 mil dune port with shearer's and 33 pwk is the best trail motor i've ever had. its all about timing and compression. :evil:. I guess it also depends on what types of trail you're refering to, for me trails are abandoned railroad beds and logging/fireroads.

I'm not sure about an 80cc bike, but a 125 has a power valve...throw that into the mix.

It also gets all the newest technology year after year, instead of a 20 plus year old design....

Keep that in mind.

I'm not sure about an 80cc bike, but a 125 has a power valve...throw that into the mix.

It also gets all the newest technology year after year, instead of a 20 plus year old design....

Keep that in mind.

Yeah some 80's do have PV, not the yz though, and 2 stroke dirt bike didnt get any new technologies engine wise in a whole lotta year either. I also think that a well ported 4 mil banshee is not a 20 years old motor either, CC for CC they make as much power as modern two stroke IE 700 sleds are rated at about 130 hp give ot take a little, Its not that far fetched to have a ported stock stroke making 65. With that said I could be very wrong on this carb size discussion as my experience with low-end motor is very limited due to the fact that there not my style but I still think that any stroker need more breathing room than a 28mm carb to get its full potential.

2 stroke dirt bike didnt get any new technologies engine wise in a whole lotta year either.

While this might be the case in the last few years due to the 4 stroke craze, i can tell you before that they were getting new details every year, both engine, ignition, carb, chassis...every year something is different.

You can port anything, that doesn't mean the original design has changed, it hasn't.

The fact is the OEM banshee cylinder has been the EXACT same since the day it was made, over 20 years ago.

The design of the 85's are much more efficient then the banshee. You can't even compare a dirt bike to a banshee... NIGHT AND DAY differences. You might think they have more bottom end.. but strap another 200lbs and ALOT more traction to that bike and see how much bottom end it has. Even the lil 85's get updates year to year. The manufacturere's have to keep the edge.

You pick a carb based on the application it will be used for. A 4mil stroker with a trail port will be fine with stock carbs or 28pwks.. I personally will not use anything bigger then 28's on trails. I've tried 33's and 35's... and I didn't like it.

I also agree with Dajogejr.. I bought a 4-stroke for trails. :biggrin:

The design of the 85's are much more efficient then the banshee. You can't even compare a dirt bike to a banshee... NIGHT AND DAY differences. You might think they have more bottom end.. but strap another 200lbs and ALOT more traction to that bike and see how much bottom end it has. Even the lil 85's get updates year to year. The manufacturere's have to keep the edge.

You pick a carb based on the application it will be used for. A 4mil stroker with a trail port will be fine with stock carbs or 28pwks.. I personally will not use anything bigger then 28's on trails. I've tried 33's and 35's... and I didn't like it.

I also agree with Dajogejr.. I bought a 4-stroke for trails. :biggrin:

Im running a Dune port, CPI sb inframes, 185psi, +4 timing, and 35mm PWK's.. I think the carbs are a little overkill, but it runs great in the trails. Bottom end could be a little better, but Im on the pipe most of the time anyways. Overall, it does great in the tight spots, and really comes alive in the straights.

Anything bigger than a 28mm on a trail bike is gonna hurt you. Even with a stroker. The bigger carb bores you throw at it, the less bottom end it will make, and the more top end it will make. A lot of people work on the mis-conception that if you increase cc, or port duration, or stroke, or compression, that you have to have all these honking big parts. The fact of the matter is, you make a bike go fast by matching up the parts, making the motor work efficiently, and tuning it properly.

Doug Eichner, raced mickey Thompson indoor series back in the mid 90's. Saw him at the sand dunes in Oregeon in the summer of 1994. Raced some heavily built banshees, and other 250r hondas up boxcar. Crushed them, absolutely blew them away. Why??????????????? Well built factory race team motor, still under 260cc, still stock stroke, tuned well, right part combinations, and great suspension.

We need to get of this, I like em big, now I think its fast, lets go pee on stuff kick that everyone is on.

Another factor is "why don't you just buy a 4 stroke" response doesn't answer what a person can do to make their Banshee trail worthy. I think most all of us know the value of torque and how it helps in tight spots like trail riding to make the event fun, but for me, that would mean selling my Banshee to buy another quad. (I am doing okay financially right now, but I am not buying another machine when I have a shed full of dirt bikes and a Banshee) Seriously, I know the YFZ is better for trails, but I don't have to bother selling mine to get someone else's machine. I already have a machine that with a few mods can do what I want it to do.