Damn gear shifter.

ok seriously, this problem is really getting damn annoying and it keeps happening.. just tell me exactly what i need to buy and how to install it or how easy it is to install.

ok, when im driving recreationally, i have no problem shifting through all the gears ( i shift slowly), meaning im clutching for 1 sec, shift, then let go of the clutch slowly.

when i race ofc im doing it fast so maybe thats the deal.

problem that happens in drag racing: when im racing on road drag or sand drag, when i shift from 3rd to 4th, or 4th to 5th gear, it alwasy just gos to neutral and fucks me up in the race.. so im going to race, i luanch from 2nd... shift 3rd ( no problem) then from 3rd to 4th, and sometimes 4th to 5th, it just gos straight into neutral... and starts revving ultra high (cause i assume it will be in gear and i gas it full just after i change gear), then i quickly clutch again and move the shifter up to hit the proper gear that i wanted to shift to... and it finally hits, even some times when it gets into neutral.. and i hit it up again to get into the proper gear (4th or 5th) it still doesnt hit.. i need to do it like 5-6 times then it will get into the gear it should have shifted to in the first place

note: sometimes a familiar problem happens when im on neutral ( and not moving), then i move the gear shifter up ( to 2nd) then when i try to launch from 2nd it go's to neutral... without even moving 1 inch... so i end up again revving super loud because im thinking its on 2nd gear and im gonna launch, and then i kick it up 1 more time and it still does not get into 2nd... until i keep kicking it 50,000 times it still wont get into 2nd, i eventually have to just kick it down to 1st and then i have to launch in 1st and then shift to 2nd.. . but my main problem is in the race from 4th-5th it gos to neutral, even though thats impossible cause there is no neutral gear between them.

ok now, for when i race with bump roads and turns ( like a mx track), well in this case, as you know there is alot of vibration, and you gotta hold on tight( there are alot of big rocks i go over at high speed so its bumpy), so at this point i dont have much strength in my leg to shit it up.. the main problem i get here is moving the lever up.. it happens also in a high gear like 4th or 5th, tryign to shift up, but i end up in the same gear... because the gear shifter wont move - its too hard to push up sometimes.. and it only happens from 4th to 5th.. or it might be 3rd to 4th.. where from that point the shifter becomes way harder to move than it was from 2nd to 3rd lets say... and i dont have that stength in such a bumpy place, or the control..

overall: sorry if you found my explanations dumb or stupid... its the best i can do to describe.

if someone can tell me what i need to buy to stop all these ridiculous problems, it would be helpful.. i heard ppl talking about somethign called shift shaft , shift star... whatever those are if i need those, jsut tell me what i need to buy, thanks. if you could link it too from a good site like F.A.S.T too would be great.

Edited by blaster2006

I had the same bitches about my 96...the shifting felt sloppy. I bought an aftermarket billet shifter(i think from rocky mountain atv) and it cured it. Much more positive shifts. It even clears my boot better

im willing to pay up to $100~ just to get that damn problem fixed... its really bugging me.. cause every time i drag, i keep doing so well in the start, like im winning by far then i just loose cause it randmly go's to neutral... and i loose the race and then they all think im making excuses for loosing.. ill literaly show you guys a vid racing my m8 on his KX250 2 stroke dirt bike.. where for once i was about to beat him and then it just hits into neutral and revvs ultra loud

I'm pretty sure his shifter isnt the problem. It seems internal.

Make sure your clutch is adjusted(check arrows ontop the case) correctly. That's a free fix. You can even save your tranny oil by tipping the bike on it's side.

I had this problem too. My bike felt more sloppy than two of my buds bikes that i road. I have my cases split right now so i will check the shift works and replace them. I used to miss a shift and rev the crap out of my bike in "neutral." I know my clutch wasnt adjust correctly and once it was, it made it a lot better. I'm gonna keep checking this thread to see what others have to say.

If it's the same problem i had and i think you are talking about buying a modded shift start and/or pro shift(or whaver the name is) shift kit wont do anything.

I'm pretty sure his shifter isnt the problem. It seems internal.

Make sure your clutch is adjusted(check arrows ontop the case) correctly. That's a free fix. You can even save your tranny oil by tipping the bike on it's side.

I had this problem too. My bike felt more sloppy than two of my buds bikes that i road. I have my cases split right now so i will check the shift works and replace them. I used to miss a shift and rev the crap out of my bike in "neutral." I know my clutch wasnt adjust correctly and once it was, it made it a lot better. I'm gonna keep checking this thread to see what others have to say.

If it's the same problem i had and i think you are talking about buying a modded shift start and/or pro shift(or whaver the name is) shift kit wont do anything.

what do you mean by cehck arrows on top of case correctly? when my friend installed my tusk racing clutch kit, i dont know exactly what he was trying to do, but what he did was pull in the clutch from the lever, then once it opened up, he would keep holding in the lever, and at the same time push back the plates wit ha screw driver... i asked him what he was doing and all he said was "adjusting"

Edited by blaster2006

Beleive it or not, I feel your pain!

I doubt if the shift star or modified shift shaft, easy spring, will help. It did not help mine with those problems, actually I think I liked it better before the mods. Not that their not good mods but just didn't meet my needs or fix the problem. I never hit neutral or missed a gear, it just wouldn't up shift properly, like it was hanging up on one of the lobes. I thought the modified shift shaft would prolly take care of it, letting the shift mechanism pull or push the star all the way over the lobe to the next gear.

Yeah, it only does it when Im drag racing, any other time it shifts great! maybe its just me :confused:

Not it's not, you mine did the exact same thing. It hung on the shift star lobes(or whatever their called).

By arrows, i mean on the top of the case there's an arrow. It is suppose to meet up with the arrow on the (damn i cant think of the real name of it) but it meets u with the rod going in the case. That has an arrow too. It's not hard to see.

dragbanshee...like you im awaiting to see what causes that. After i put my bottom end and bike back together, i will see if it still happens. Im replacing all 3 of my shift forks too. If the problem doesnt get solved, i will resplit the cases over and over until i find out what's wrong. I dont care what it takes. :confused:

IF the shift pin isnt located properly, it can cause this.. so can a wore shift shaft and so can shift forks. so many variables hard to tell which it could be. Id start at the shift shaft and the locating pin. And do the mod on th star, helps a bunch and easy to do. You CAN run throught he gears with the side case off, with a screw driver and a buddy spinnin the tires, to see how she works as far as trans go, to see if its not internal without splittin the cases. should be able to shift it. If not, could be forks. Also curious, how far do you have to throw the shifter up to shift at low speed? Also check the spring on the shift shaft make sure its good. They are cheap

Not it's not, you mine did the exact same thing. It hung on the shift star lobes(or whatever their called).

By arrows, i mean on the top of the case there's an arrow. It is suppose to meet up with the arrow on the (damn i cant think of the real name of it) but it meets u with the rod going in the case. That has an arrow too. It's not hard to see.

dragbanshee...like you im awaiting to see what causes that. After i put my bottom end and bike back together, i will see if it still happens. Im replacing all 3 of my shift forks too. If the problem doesnt get solved, i will resplit the cases over and over until i find out what's wrong. I dont care what it takes. :confused:

Yeah its real annoying, sheesh, can't beleive Im having the same problem as blaster2006 :laugh: just kidding lil buddy.

To adjust your clutch to the proper location, you take the clutch cover off, and adjusting the screw and bolt in the middle behind your pressure plate. You have to tighten it until you meet resistance with the little notch on the clutch actuator arm are lined up with the arrow on top of your case.

It is really easy, just heard to explain.

Might check out NitroTate's "HOW TO" DVD. It has this and a lot more.

I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. Take your clutch case of and check your shift shaft adjustment and make sure your eccentric screw is adjusted properly. My bike would shift fine just putting around but when i was really hammering on it it wouldn't upshift. while your in there pull your clutch apart and inspect the clutch and the ball bearing to make sure it's not welded to the shaft.

read my post #25

I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. Take your clutch case of and check your shift shaft adjustment and make sure your eccentric screw is adjusted properly. My bike would shift fine just putting around but when i was really hammering on it it wouldn't upshift. while your in there pull your clutch apart and inspect the clutch and the ball bearing to make sure it's not welded to the shaft.

read my post #25

Thx for this post, I added this to my "TO DO" list on my clutch replacement.

I have replaced everything on the outside of the cases pancake bearing, clutch, clutch housing clutch boss, springs, spacer, clutch cable, clutch lever, shiftshaft with mod, easy spring, shftstar, and everything adjusted right on. But I have never been into the cases and its a 97, could be a little wore.

Sorry blaster2006, not trying to hijack your thread, just hoping we can both benifit here. Thanks for posting your problem, cause the Badlands was my 1st ride after the mods I did. Like you and others have said pretty much flawless shifting untill under pressure while drag racing.