what is the best hooking tire?

KENDOE

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loco, I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with you neither. But you just quoted his original posts. Go back and look at them again. He's looking for a tire that he can drag, AND ride trail or fields with. I do agree that Knarly's are a good tire, but cut Knarly's are not what he needs. He needs something that has some side bite, and a pattern that will let him corner easier. I'm just trying to give him another option. If he's riding trails, he's gonna need a taller tire for ground clearance. iRazr's come in different sizes, and looking at a couple of dirrerent sites, the Knarly ST's only come in 18".

PS, I never said that I knew my tires like some people do. Not all of us have the money to throw away, testing different tires and cutting them up, just to see if they work.

in the trails, i agree, the irazrs would prolly be fine for him. like i said, they arent my first choice, but wouldnt be my last either.. ITP would be my last choice of tires.

i would seriously look at the ohtsus. im gonna be gettin some of them in the very near future..

i would have to agree with loco on this one over the years ive tried most all the tires listed in this thread on all kinds of banshees all in all the best hardest hooking tire in most dirt applications i have seen is the Ohtsu 501 400ex tires ...other good options worth looking at is YFZ450 rears and 20inch turftamers with low pressure and cut every 4th row out o..now if you are running a drag strip with some good mositure clay get some prowedges 2's.

yea, ive seen the ohtsus run at the hillclimbs in minnesota, and i was pretty impressed with them. they dont hook as hard as the cut knarlys, but for an all around tire for riding, i think they are the heat. thats what going on my 450 next. they look pretty lightweight and can be had for a decent price.

one last question with those ohtsu 501's, do i get a 9x8 rim or 9x9? thanks

9x9

i think i ran them at 6lbs. I thought i would have trouble running that very low. I thought id need beadlocks.

Damn all that freakin time traction was just a few psi away. Damnit. Now i really cant wait to finish my build!

I'll also add what works for a 4 stroke doesn't always equate the same on a 2 stroke. A heavier grippier tire works best on a 2 stroke but for a 4 stroke, I prefer a lighter, Ohtsu type tire. The iRazrs worked well on my banshee but sucked balls on my thumper. The MXR4 Holeshots hook ungodly, IMO on my 4 stroke but I imagine they're spinning out, tractionless tires on the banshee. Knarlys are alright on the 4 stroke but are much better on a banshee.

yeah the dunlap radials have the good tread design ,plenty of cleanout and thin soft ply for flexability but being most are only 2 ply if your a cross country rider or ride crick beds and mountian ranges or anything with schall or sharp rocks youll want more plys to prevent punctures

I'll also add what works for a 4 stroke doesn't always equate the same on a 2 stroke. A heavier grippier tire works best on a 2 stroke but for a 4 stroke, I prefer a lighter, Ohtsu type tire. The iRazrs worked well on my banshee but sucked balls on my thumper. The MXR4 Holeshots hook ungodly, IMO on my 4 stroke but I imagine they're spinning out, tractionless tires on the banshee. Knarlys are alright on the 4 stroke but are much better on a banshee.

I've got a set of 18inch MXR4 Holeshots on my Banshee now and they spin like crazyyyyyyyyyy when you get on it!!!! blahhh