what is the best hooking tire?

KENDOE

then shortly after i thought i would try irazr because they were the latest and greatest.. well, they are by far the worst junk fucking tires ive ever run..

I have to disagree 100% with this statement. I bought a set of Maxxis 20x11x9 iRazr's on 9x10 rims last spring, and rode them all last season. Yes, they are a little heavier than most, but they're 6-ply tires. They're gonna be heavy. They hook very well. I had a huge problem with excessive tire spin, and these helped out alot. As far as being soft, and wearing fast......I ride extremely aggressively, in wooded areas with about 70/30 dirt/sand mix, and I'm always throwing roost and sliding corners. After riding very hard almost everyday last year, my iRazr's still have about 85% tread. If you rotate them every few rides, they will last forever. You said earlier that they're expensive, but I bought mine for $65/each. The Kenda Klaw ST's are selling for around $55/each, and they only come in 4-ply 18x10.5x8. So, $10 more for a taller and wider tire ain't that bad. And on you can get them on a bigger rim. I ain't knocking your Klaw's at all. I'm just saying that the iRazr's are also a great tire to buy. They hook very well, compared to most any other dirt tire. I will be using the same tires again this season. I reccommend them.

This is a pic of them, right before I tore my bike down. You can see how much tread they have left.

007.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irazrs are a awesome tire. they hook like a mother fucker and sometimes almost too much, ive been on a few hills where they would spin and all of a sudden the hook up, and you had better be pointed the way you want to go, otherwise it's tree city for you, lol. And for the front, so far the best tire ive tried was the Razr 2.

so far I havent found better tires than MAXXIS

Edited by Angel ripper

20" fast trekkers. I ran three sets of tires last summer Holeshots, yfz450 tires and the Fast Trekkers. The Fast Trekkers hooked up to 100 times better than the other two. We ride down 3 or 4 miles of gravel to get to our riding spot and these tires showed no sign of gravel wear. In fact they practically looked new at the end of the season. If you want a tire that will hook on anything and last you a while, the Fast Trekker is the tire you want.

while i did used to run fast trekkers, i think there are better options out there. they are a little undersized for a banshee. fast trekkers were some of the slowest wearing tires ive ever run. they just didnt get torn up.

I spun my ass off with nut knarlys.

(old pic)

But it might be due to my small 19" front tires. On dirt that is even remotely damp, it would hook HARD. On the hard packed stuff and grass i spun a lot though. Come to think of it, i dont think there's a 20" tire that would hook. And i refuse to go with prowedges for my playbike.

how much air do you have in those fuckin tires? they look pretty ballooned up to me. i run anywhere from 1/2 to 1 pound of air in mine. i guarantee you, my cut knarlys will flat out hook harder than any other tire out there.

its no wonder you couldnt get a tire to hook with as much air as youre running in them. there are 20" tires that hook. ive listed them before. ive done tons of testing with many different tires.

hey loco... what do u use to cut ur knarly's ive got a set and have been wantin to cut em but what would be the best thing to use??

i use a course blade sawzall first, then i have a hot blade sticker remover to clean them up.

What size cut knarlys are u runnin????????? Everyone keeps talking about sand and mud, im looking for straight drag in dirt.. if I gottta change rims or whatever its no bigy the moneys not an issue

20". i get mine from rmatv as a package deal with douglas .160 rims. there is no harder hooking tire in the dirt.

I just put 2 maxxis razr 2's for sale in the for sale section. Local pickup only tho, near philly.

junk?

I have to disagree 100% with this statement. I bought a set of Maxxis 20x11x9 iRazr's on 9x10 rims last spring, and rode them all last season. Yes, they are a little heavier than most, but they're 6-ply tires. They're gonna be heavy. They hook very well. I had a huge problem with excessive tire spin, and these helped out alot. As far as being soft, and wearing fast......I ride extremely aggressively, in wooded areas with about 70/30 dirt/sand mix, and I'm always throwing roost and sliding corners. After riding very hard almost everyday last year, my iRazr's still have about 85% tread. If you rotate them every few rides, they will last forever. You said earlier that they're expensive, but I bought mine for $65/each. The Kenda Klaw ST's are selling for around $55/each, and they only come in 4-ply 18x10.5x8. So, $10 more for a taller and wider tire ain't that bad. And on you can get them on a bigger rim. I ain't knocking your Klaw's at all. I'm just saying that the iRazr's are also a great tire to buy. They hook very well, compared to most any other dirt tire. I will be using the same tires again this season. I reccommend them.

first off, i dont run kenda klaws.. im not sure where you got that info.

kenda knarlys, the tires i run, are 6 ply.

irazrs might be alright for woods and what not, but straight line dragging on dirt, they will not hook as hard as properly setup cut knarlys. just isnt going to happen.

irazrs wear very quickly if you do any type of road riding.

i dont even know why we are discussing tires in the trails, sand, gravel etc..

the name of this post is, "what is the best hooking tire?"

cut kenda knarly

end of thread...

Ok, my bad....I meant to say Knarly ST, which is what you run. They don't make a Klaw ST, you should have known that, with your infinite tire wisdom. And they only come now in 18x10.5x9. RMATV Sorry you have to cut your tires to make them hook up like you want. Out of the box, iRazr's hook, period. Trail, fields, straight line drags, they hook. I guarantee that if I were to cut up a set of iRazr's, they'd hook just as good as your Kenda's. Both have huge lugs, and are spread out alot. Both are soft compounds. Wearing very quickly on the road? Who the hell rides aggressive dirt tires on the street anyways? That's stupid. Cut Kenda Knarly's might be the best hooking tire for you and your 10mil hillshooting bike, but it ain't always going to be the best tire for everybody else.

Ok, my bad....I meant to say Knarly ST, which is what you run. They don't make a Klaw ST, you should have known that, with your infinite tire wisdom. And they only come now in 18x10.5x9. RMATV Sorry you have to cut your tires to make them hook up like you want. Out of the box, iRazr's hook, period. Trail, fields, straight line drags, they hook. I guarantee that if I were to cut up a set of iRazr's, they'd hook just as good as your Kenda's. Both have huge lugs, and are spread out alot. Both are soft compounds. Wearing very quickly on the road? Who the hell rides aggressive dirt tires on the street anyways? That's stupid. Cut Kenda Knarly's might be the best hooking tire for you and your 10mil hillshooting bike, but it ain't always going to be the best tire for everybody else.

here are the original posters comments.

Id like to get it to hook more, any info would be great

loco, are those 450 tires you have a picture of the dunlop kt355? these look a little different but similar? they just seem like they have more lugs? http://www.revzilla.com/product/dunlop-kt3...dials-rear-tire if they are, there not on RMATV? can you post the link to the ones that you have?thanks

-kevin

loco, are those 450 tires you have a picture of the dunlop kt355? these look a little different but similar? they just seem like they have more lugs? http://www.revzilla.com/product/dunlop-kt3...dials-rear-tire if they are, there not on RMATV? can you post the link to the ones that you have?thanks

-kevin

im actually running stock yfz450 tires on my 450 right now, which are those dunlops. my next tires will be these.. http://farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=174

ive seen these in action at the hillclimbs in minnesota, and they seem to be a good tire.

alright thanks loco! im gonna be trying those tires your trying too! my shitty holeshot xc's suck! plus i did to many donuts down my road and driveway with em too! :biggrin: thanks

-kevin

you should think about just buying a set of wheels also, that way you can keep the holeshots on rims in case you wanna do some burnouts.. :evil:

Loco, I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with you neither. But you just quoted his original posts. Go back and look at them again. He's looking for a tire that he can drag, AND ride trail or fields with. I do agree that Knarly's are a good tire, but cut Knarly's are not what he needs. He needs something that has some side bite, and a pattern that will let him corner easier. I'm just trying to give him another option. If he's riding trails, he's gonna need a taller tire for ground clearance. iRazr's come in different sizes, and looking at a couple of dirrerent sites, the Knarly ST's only come in 18".

PS, I never said that I knew my tires like some people do. Not all of us have the money to throw away, testing different tires and cutting them up, just to see if they work.

Hmm im in the same boat sorta... lookin for a tire that slides but hooks in a straight line. Mine are too tall to slide and just wants to play 2 wheeler with 450 arms and Gforce axle and all.... Im thinkin 20 front 19 rear good handling size? dunno on what type of tire...

total thread jack my bad.... :ninja:

you should think about just buying a set of wheels also, that way you can keep the holeshots on rims in case you wanna do some burnouts.. :evil:

yeah i was plannin on keepin the holeshots on the t-9's for some burnouts anyway! i was thinking about getting another set of the bajas but ive decided to just get some .160's or so cause there light and somewhat durable.thanks

-kevin

i would have to agree with loco on this one over the years ive tried most all the tires listed in this thread on all kinds of banshees all in all the best hardest hooking tire in most dirt applications i have seen is the Ohtsu 501 400ex tires ...other good options worth looking at is YFZ450 rears and 20inch turftamers with low pressure and cut every 4th row out o..now if you are running a drag strip with some good mositure clay get some prowedges 2's.