Next engine mods what do you think?

ryansedy

Recently bought a '99 Banshee...i guess im looking for opinions whats the most inexpensive engine mods to do next before, big bore or stroker.

whats done already

stock or close to stock bore

coolhead with 19cc domes

Full Port & Polish

Advance timing

T-5s jetted stock carbs

lightened flywheel

k&n

Im thinking reeds? boost bottle? Maybe smaller domes for more comp.? Bigger carbs? If i do these things, and am planning on keeping the stock bore and stroke. is it going to be worth my money? will i even feel the different reeds? Can i go bigger carbs?

I guess im asking if i will even feel these? or should i just keep my $500

Recently bought a '99 Banshee...i guess im looking for opinions whats the most inexpensive engine mods to do next before, big bore or stroker.

whats done already

stock or close to stock bore

coolhead with 19cc domes

Full Port & Polish

Advance timing

T-5s jetted stock carbs

lightened flywheel

k&n

Im thinking reeds? boost bottle? Maybe smaller domes for more comp.? Bigger carbs? If i do these things, and am planning on keeping the stock bore and stroke. is it going to be worth my money? will i even feel the different reeds? Can i go bigger carbs?

I guess im asking if i will even feel these? or should i just keep my $500

Probably bigger carbs would be my next mod. Never a boost bottle. Changing your compression may force you to change your fuel octane as well.

SP

I am wondering at what altitude you plan on doing most of your riding.

Here in Denver area we are so high that a larger carb I think would not do much good.

I just bought a long skidplate underarmor system due to the damn rocks.

I wanted the T-5 pipes and the custom seat for my New Banshee but I felt like the protection was better suited first.

I hear that the biggest bang in performance with a banshee can be the T-5 pipes and porting the heads. At least that is what these banshee masters here say.

If you are at sea level then the carbs may help if it is ported to flow the higher rates.

The thing about larger carbs I believe is, The cc of the cylinders and flow capicities of the ports will normally dictate the maximum flow of the carbs sizing.

" The same goes with a Hotrod car engine. placing a Holly 1100 cfm carb on a Ford 351 cleveland engine with stock bore and stock internals does not gain anything at all, when the max flow will be 780 cfm."

Banshee masters please correct me if I am wrong. I believe this is the case here in his situation.

If you are still not yet considering a port job just yet, I would opt for the pipes according to your riding style, (new chain, maybe a larger rediater "if needed" and possibly a real good carb syncronization, and of course a K&N air filter.

You may also nee to rejet for the pipes most likely as part of this process.

Have fun.

I am wondering at what altitude you plan on doing most of your riding.

Here in Denver area we are so high that a larger carb I think would not do much good.

I just bought a long skidplate underarmor system due to the damn rocks.

I wanted the T-5 pipes and the custom seat for my New Banshee but I felt like the protection was better suited first.

I hear that the biggest bang in performance with a banshee can be the T-5 pipes and porting the heads. At least that is what these banshee masters here say.

If you are at sea level then the carbs may help if it is ported to flow the higher rates.

The thing about larger carbs I believe is, The cc of the cylinders and flow capicities of the ports will normally dictate the maximum flow of the carbs sizing.

" The same goes with a Hotrod car engine. placing a Holly 1100 cfm carb on a Ford 351 cleveland engine with stock bore and stock internals does not gain anything at all, when the max flow will be 780 cfm."

Banshee masters please correct me if I am wrong. I believe this is the case here in his situation.

If you are still not yet considering a port job just yet, I would opt for the pipes according to your riding style, (new chain, maybe a larger rediater "if needed" and possibly a real good carb syncronization, and of course a K&N air filter.

You may also nee to rejet for the pipes most likely as part of this process.

Have fun.

big carbs wouldnt help a stock motor, but he said it was ported. so yes, get bigger carbs.

and why does high altitude negate the benefit of bigger carbs?

Definitley wanna get a boost bottle my buddy and me got the same setups but hes got a boost bottle on his. He pulls away by like 3 lenghts every time. Hands down worth the money I just ordered one yesterday. :thumbsup:

hahahahahhahahhahahahhahahha :yelrotflmao: :yelrotflmao: :yelrotflmao:

sorry, i just had to throw that in.

if you guys have the same setup, there can be other reasons he beat you, and i assure you, it's not the boost bottle adding power.

if you are jetted the same, it could be too rich on the pilot and/or needle taper- the boost bottle leans it out in this area

the snap of the throttle on the low end is decreasing traction, and (actual point of the boost bottle on a banshee) the boost bottle is muting this snap, helping it to hook up.

your engine or reeds may be worn more

lastly, he may just be launching better, and out ridding you. spent the boost bottle fund, and put it into jets and needles to tune your carbs better, and your bike will pull better

I was just fucking around man this was like the 8th topic I read today that people were talking about boost bottles. :thumbsup:

u might wanna include that next time, like ".....j/k" someone might take you seriously, believe it or not. there are several new members every day

vforce3's---$220

13 tooth front sprocket---$25

coolhead---$240

engine ice---$20

You have pretty much maxed out your setup and the only way you will really get more hp is to dig into the motor and do a stroker or a bigger bore.

The reeds will be noticeable by giving you a much crisper throttle response, the coolhead and engine ice will make your bike run way cooler which equates to a little more power, but the most noticeable "cheater mod" will be the sprocket, will feel like you gained 10 hp literally.

Boost bottle is garbage and smaller domes will not do anything except make you run more expensive gas and make your bike more prone to blow up.

As far as the carbs, I could argue both sides...I have a riding buddy that has practically the same setup as you with stock carbs but it's jetted perfectly and he wipes most bikes up the hill...it really depends on the kind of riding you do. Bigger carbs will give you better power band up top but you will lose some low end so if you trail ride you may want to stick with the stockers. If you dune, then go with bigger carbs as you can always stay on the pipe when you ride...

Hope this helps...good luck!

Thanks for the opinions..I didnt know that about the boost bottle. I ride mostly gravel roads. some sand. alot of the guys i ride with have 4 stroke quads and 4 stroke dirtbikes. they smoke me off the line..probly due to some tire spin, but cant hang in the top end. obviously right. except the honda 450 dirtbike in the top end. I like the gearing i have 15 41 with 20" tires. i dont mind that they beat me off the line but would like to catch em before i hit fifth gear.

So would carb size and brand should i get that would work for my setup? and say i did go a bigger bore or stroke down the road i wouldnt want to buy the carbs twice, so whats a good size? also are the vforce reeds worth the money? would i need em if i went bigger carbs? would it be better to get the reeds now? then when i did get the bigger bore or stroke down the road get the carbs then?

If i did go bigger bore it wouldnt be anything radical probly just like 400cc somthing like that. I run 50/50 race gas right now. so if i went smaller domes they are not very expensive. and ran straight race gas. would i be able to really feel that?

Also i was wondering maybe if i get carbs converting to alcohol with smaller domes...methanol is easily avalible for me at work and 1/4 the price of race fuel. but none of my friends have ever ran alcohol, so i dont really know the benifits of it. other than it runs cooler.

So should i think about carbs that can run alcohol? or is that not right for my banshee?

Edited by ryansedy

u already have 19cc domes so smaller domes isnt really gonna give u much. do u know wat kind of port job u have? i would say get 33pwk or if u plan on stroker or cub later then i would get 35's. reeds r always a good mod i love my vforce 2's. i dont know if u need the vforce 3's. u might be better satisfied with a boysen rad valve setup or something similar to that. a guy on here just got a set today for $20 on ebay!! :thumbsup: