ITS NOT THE DAMN TORS...

omg i really am starting to think i burned the engine.. im gonna cry if so, it was so fun when i was riding it, i love it.. guys.. this cant happen to me.

lemme explain abit, when it was smoking, i left it for 3 min, the smoke stopped, i turned it on and then was riding it for 30 mins ish no problems, please tell me it means thats fine please? ;p

lets say there is "minor damage" or something to it, when running lean like that and smoking the engine, what do i need to change? a new cylinder bore + piston/ rings etc?

It's fine. Take out your spark plugs and take a picture of them and post it. Make sure the picture is clear and looks like you were looking at them. I'm pretty sure it's simply a carburation problem nothing a little cleaning won't solve.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude listen to us. Get a new filter NOW. Dont try and tape it or super glue it. The motor has probably been runninglean now for a while and god nows what kind of shit has gotten into the motor. So first GET A NEW AIR FILTER. Spend the little bit of money and buy a kit so you know you have a good tight fitting air filter. Next, tear open your carbs and clean them out. Then get a compression checker and do a compression check on the motor. If the compression check comes back good move on to the next thing, if not tear open the motor. Then look down your intakes and see if you see any gunk. If you do you will want to tear open the motor and clean it all out.

Dude listen to us. Get a new filter NOW. Dont try and tape it or super glue it. The motor has probably been runninglean now for a while and god nows what kind of shit has gotten into the motor. So first GET A NEW AIR FILTER. Spend the little bit of money and buy a kit so you know you have a good tight fitting air filter. Next, tear open your carbs and clean them out. Then get a compression checker and do a compression check on the motor. If the compression check comes back good move on to the next thing, if not tear open the motor. Then look down your intakes and see if you see any gunk. If you do you will want to tear open the motor and clean it all out.

i cant clean the carbs myself, im no mechanic, i replaced the spark plugs before i rode it and it smoked etc, so yeah, ill take them out and take a pic tomorow, im very tired and sleepy and angry now i cant do anything atm. although when i replaced the spark plugs, the old ones were pitch black, all over, but i ddnt chop it to see the bottom part of it.

like i said, whatever the problem is, it isnt constant, it comes and go's the massive air flow.

ill just send it to yamaha service for a carb cleaning

as for the compression test, i ordered a comp tester some time ago, it should be getting to me within 1 week, (i dont live in the US, so it takes time to get here).

Edited by blaster2006

You can't buy a new air filter but you're sending it to the dealer for carb cleaning????

i will really get angry if it burnt, i payed almost every single $ i had left, $3,700 for that stock shee. meh.

With Banshees - spend the money and do it RIGHT otherwise you will be spending more money and fixing more things!!! Even if it means you can't ride for a week, month whatever...it's not worth the expensive situation you could put yourself into!

My bike is the first quad I've ever worked on...you'll pick it up fast, they are very accessible and simple quads. (As long as you have a head on your shoulders, and have critical thinking skills.) Just watch how everything comes apart, keep carb parts in separate bins so you don't confuse them, and be careful. Put it back together, and you're golden.

This is good advise. It sounds as though there are multiple issues, mostly due to a lack of maintance by the previous owner. These are all fixable but I would suggest that you not continue to run the bike until you have gone through and addressed the obvious problems I.E that filter.

All the air your hearing is coming from your filterless airbox, thats why shee's hesitating and sounding like its going to die. Its jetted for a filter, not NO FILTER, shee probly is lean as hell. Sounds like the guy was trying to run without the lid, with the screw you found on it, and probly never rejetted it to compensate.

if it's been sitting a while, the oil could have separated, meaning that it would be like runnig 10:1, and old gas. or did you change the fuel when you got it. does the exhaust smoke alot? just a thaught< :shrug:

that could be the problem,

as i said, it runs lean like 5% of the time and perfect 95% of the time, on and off, mostly at low revs and low throttle it occurs most of the time, and at idle it occurs, but not always, i dont think it ever occured at high speed acceleration, never.

so if i had to guess, its not the filter, but its maybe the pilot jet?, so by cleaning the carb, i just clean by where the main/ pilot jet and bowls are? right?

like i said, the old spark plugs were pitch black. gonna check my new plugs very soon.

that could be the problem,

as i said, it runs lean like 5% of the time and perfect 95% of the time, on and off, mostly at low revs and low throttle it occurs most of the time, and at idle it occurs, but not always, i dont think it ever occured at high speed acceleration, never.

so if i had to guess, its not the filter, but its maybe the pilot jet?, so by cleaning the carb, i just clean by where the main/ pilot jet and bowls are? right?

like i said, the old spark plugs were pitch black. gonna check my new plugs very soon.

Dude, do you have a hearing problem? I'll say it once more.

Don't even think about starting that bike without a proper filter on there!

Listen to the advice given by the previous posters; if you insist on running the bike like that you're gonna toast the motor if you haven't done so already.

Dude, everybody is trying to help you but you arent listenening. That filter is junk. That bike is jetted to run the stock foam (relatively restrictive) filter. With no filter on there, which is basically what you have with a big tear like that, you are running way lean. You are probably 4 or 5 jet sizes too lean. Running that lean will make the bike act like you are describing and WILL eventually burn up the motor. Probably sonner rather than later. Even if you were lucky enough not to suck up any dirt at all, the lean condition alone can destroy the motor. YOUR PROBLEMS IS THE FILTER. If you are lucky that is the only problem, but it is the cause for sure. Do not ride the bike, quit messing with it. Get a new filter, dont monkey rig that one. Clean or have the carbs cleaned, and hope you didn't suck too much shit in the motor. A compression test will give you an idea of the condition of the motor, but like the others said, i would pull the carbs and reeds and look for signs of dirt in the intake tract.

Dude, everybody is trying to help you but you arent listenening. That filter is junk. That bike is jetted to run the stock foam (relatively restrictive) filter. With no filter on there, which is basically what you have with a big tear like that, you are running way lean. You are probably 4 or 5 jet sizes too lean. Running that lean will make the bike act like you are describing and WILL eventually burn up the motor. Probably sonner rather than later. Even if you were lucky enough not to suck up any dirt at all, the lean condition alone can destroy the motor. YOUR PROBLEMS IS THE FILTER. If you are lucky that is the only problem, but it is the cause for sure. Do not ride the bike, quit messing with it. Get a new filter, dont monkey rig that one. Clean or have the carbs cleaned, and hope you didn't suck too much shit in the motor. A compression test will give you an idea of the condition of the motor, but like the others said, i would pull the carbs and reeds and look for signs of dirt in the intake tract.

thanks, well anyway, i was examining it more closely, and also noticed, that the guy i bought it from, tryed to remove the pipes as he was going to install the T-5s i told you he had which was new, and then he put it up for sale, the pipe supporter ( the top one) there is no like support on it, here is a video to show you what i mean, i show you the right pipe ( the messed up one with no support) the nthe left pipe which has the support, notice the right one isnt even aligned with the support, i then looked where it hooks on to the cylinder, and part of it is bending outward but it still looks like its connected properly, and i checked and saw no leaks, although maybe that has something to do?

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x182/bl...urrent=Vide.flv

------------------------------------------------------------------------

also i just noticed i linked the wrong video in my post about the deep noise in the running engine, here is the proper link, and for some reason i can only edit the last post i posted.. which is annoying but anyway..

like i said, notice just before you hear it rev loud, that deep noise is me trying to rev it, and 2 seconds later you hear the loud rev. thats exactly what happens, but not always, sometimes it idles loud, but in the begining, you hear it starting to get low ( by random), then i rev it like 2 times ( you hear the air-throaty noise) then the third and fourth rev you hear it loud and clear like it should be.

clip is 56 sec long, the sound happens exactly after 6 seconds ( timer will show 50 sec left, listen very carefully)

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x182/bl...nt=Video003.flv

ignore it later in the vid cause the air noise ddnt come, it only came in the first part.

-------------------------------------

Edited by blaster2006

thanks, well anyway, i was examining it more closely, and also noticed, that the guy i bought it from, tryed to remove the pipes as he was going to install the T-5s i told you he had which was new, and then he put it up for sale, the pipe supporter ( the top one) there is no like support on it, here is a video to show you what i mean, i show you the right pipe ( the messed up one with no support) the nthe left pipe which has the support, notice the right one isnt even aligned with the support, i then looked where it hooks on to the cylinder, and part of it is bending outward but it still looks like its connected properly, and i checked and saw no leaks, although maybe that has something to do?

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x182/bl...urrent=Vide.flv

------------------------------------------------------------------------

also i just noticed i linked the wrong video in my post about the deep noise in the running engine, here is the proper link, and for some reason i can only edit the last post i posted.. which is annoying but anyway..

like i said, notice just before you hear it rev loud, that deep noise is me trying to rev it, and 2 seconds later you hear the loud rev. thats exactly what happens, but not always, sometimes it idles loud, but in the begining, you hear it starting to get low ( by random), then i rev it like 2 times ( you hear the air-throaty noise) then the third and fourth rev you hear it loud and clear like it should be.

clip is 56 sec long, the sound happens exactly after 6 seconds ( timer will show 50 sec left, listen very carefully)

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x182/bl...nt=Video003.flv

ignore it later in the vid cause the air noise ddnt come, it only came in the first part.

-------------------------------------

Allright, im calling shenanigans on this bull shit. Are you fucking with us, or are you serious. You have no air filter, the bike is leaning out and you are worried about a fucking pipe mount?? WTF I got nothin for ya kid. :banghead:

Allright, im calling shenanigans on this bull shit. Are you fucking with us, or are you serious. You have no air filter, the bike is leaning out and you are worried about a fucking pipe mount?? WTF I got nothin for ya kid. :banghead:

lol, im not fucking with any of you, you guys dont seem to understand.

if the bike is lean, its lean,. it runs lean all over.

like i said, many times the bike idles fine, and at some random points at complete randomness it takes in more air, when i ride it, it happens too, mostly at low throttle, its as if it runs off, but the engine becomes super lean and it barely pulls, then after 2 sec it pulls normal and runs at perfect jetting.

nobody or a few people are understanding exactly whats happening.

i told the guy i bought it from, and he said maybe its somethign to do with the needle.

tomorow i will go and buy a new stock airfilter from the dealer, and i hope the problem wont be there.

true that my air filter is open etc, ok and i shouldnt ride it, but my plugs are golden, i just checked them.

they are golden cause most of the time its running on perfect jetting and i can feel it

SOMETIMES at random, because of a special problem X, it randomly takes in more air than it should and sounds very throaty and you can tell 100% that its extra air coming.

think of it like this:

your running a stock bike 100% with 200 mains, golden plugs all the time.

when you are at low throttle, or idling, sometimes at random a ghost takes your lid, and filter off, and then once you try to rev, 1 or 2 secs later that ghost puts the lid and filter back on.

understand what i mean? it runs great, rode it for ages yesterday, it smoked from the small amounts of time it got leaned out for 2 secs every like 20 secs.

it occurs mostly at idle to like uhm id guess 1.5k rpm or 1/4 throttle. where the random massive airflow occurs and im getting too much air, then it runs good again.

If its not

maybe its the problem of the air filter, we will find out tomorow,if its not the filter, maybe there is some dirt blocking up the pilot jet, since its at low rpms/ low throttle. i appreciate all of your help guys, thanks a million :)

Edited by blaster2006