Entertaining the thought of going to cubs from ported stock cylinders.

csrmel

What kind of gains do you guys think I could get going from ported stock cylinders to cub cylinders?

I have:

cpi in frames

4mm long rod thats been welded

stock bore stock cylinders with a very nice port job that was done to match the cpi pipes (highly aggressive but not quite a full drag port) i basically told robert byrnes to port my cylinders just to complement the cpi pipes. he told me the port job would be close to a drag port but still retain a little midrange. they were also cut for the 4mm long rod, so i didnt need to use a spacer plate.

uni clamp on filters

35mm keihin pwk's

vf3

billet intakes to match the carbs

heavy duty clutch springs, fzr plates

cut shift star

cool head with stroker long rod domes cut for 93 octane

4mm timing advance

uh i think that's it.i have a bunch of other things done to the banshee but it isnt related to the motor.

basically i am wondering what else i might need besides the cubs, new pistons, and some new domes? also what gains might i expect. (ball park figures please)

im thinking that my stock bore cylinders would fetch a good amount of money since they are already ported by a reputable builder and do not need to be bored. no scratches on the cylinders, they are in perfect shape. i would include the nearly new pistons too. if i sold those items for a few hundred, the cubs might not even cost a grand after everything is said and done?

Edited by csrmel

what kind of riding are u goin to do ? dune-- drag ? if u plan on duneing more than u could run those carbs. if u want to drag.. prob look at a bigger carb.

same as pipes.. prob be able to dune with the cpi's.. but drag... ur lookin at shears- inframe/oof's

alot of the cub guess run overides , with that ur lookin at a lock up clutch as well. but i have a friend with a 421 cub that doesnt have either. and he drag races his bike. i have a overide tranny and lock up on my 421.

sounds like ud be pretty set for a good duner cub... now if u trail ride or such , id stay with the stocker

just my .02

its a mixed bag. i drag race on tarmac and dirt. i trail ride, i motocross, i take my 7-10 year old nephiews and neices on nice slow rides around the yard. :P

i know cubs do not work for trials and mx. but thats ok because i don't race trails and mx.

i can deal with losing whats left of my low rpm power. only time i have it at low rpm's is when i am ferrying my nephiews and neices around or just to warm the motor up. i just need to maintain at least a touch of midrange. would a cub cylinder give me any midrange at all? i have never rode a cub before, i have rode a few power valve cheetas though. oh those are so nice.

you can get enough mid outa a cub for what you do but, to get the full potential out of it racing, you'll need to spend alot of $$ carb's, lock-up, override, swing arm/bar... but if you do it slowly, you'll be happy w/ the cub bolt on, except for shifting (but it's still gonna be a light switch)... money for gain, I think you'll be supprised how little if you just bolt them on w/ your same setup?

thanks,

I have the suspension and accessories to back up the motor. Even a drag bar. But this motor launch so hard I bend the drag bar straight up in the air.

Now when you comming down here so I can school you on how to ride.

I ended up buying pro wedge 2's for trail riding. fuck the knobbies!

dude i did pretty much the same thing. Let me tell you. You better have plenty of open space to go fast. I actually had to dumb mine back down due to the fact that there was no real open riding out where I was and i have a bad back. Doing 60 thru the whoops will kill you man KILL

I would get a good ported set of stock cylinders.

Lot less money and I think you would be happier for your style of riding.

I have seen Jared's gorr ported cylinders put a hurtin on several 421 cubs, and it's a ported 4mm stock cyl.

Pulls retarded on the top end but still has an awesome mid range for duning. You can just roll into the throttle and it goes. Nothing like a cub powerband which has been stated, is literally like a lightswitch. and that's not just a lightswitch ON the power, but OFF the power as well. I've been riding a cub in the dunes and it just FELL off the pipe, like somebody reached up and hit the kill switch. Just needed to downshift and rap it out some more :D

My HJR ported 4mil duner don't do half bad either... I'm not running a lockup, override, or any of that either. Much cheaper than a full blown cub build...

i can deal with losing whats left of my low rpm power. only time i have it at low rpm's is when i am ferrying my nephiews and neices around or just to warm the motor up. i just need to maintain at least a touch of midrange. would a cub cylinder give me any midrange at all? i have never rode a cub before, i have rode a few power valve cheetas though. oh those are so nice.

My cub cylinders dont have any less bottom end than a

set of oem cylinders. And even more so with the extra 4mm

of stroke. What makes it seem like the bottom end is so non existant is

the "light switch" powerband. It is a lot more abrupt and violent than with

your oem cylinder. The cubs are also a bit more tempermental than the

stockers but that is to be expected with anything that is custom and

aftermarket. with that being said, I think the cub cylinders are awesome.

You would definately need to do an upgrade on your clutch and

install a pingle valve as the cubs love to eat the fuel.

Edited by Hilarious

My cub cylinders dont have any less bottom end than a set of oem cylinders. And even more so with the extra 4mm of stroke. What makes it seem like the bottom end is so non existant is the "light switch" powerband. It is a lot more abrupt and violent than with your oem cylinder. The cubs are also a bit more tempermental than the stockers but that is to be expected with anything that is custom and aftermarket. with that being said, I think the cub cylinders are awesome. You would definately need to do an upgrade on your clutch and install a pingle valve as the cubs love to eat the fuel.

I would tend to agree with the above. I really enjoy my cub in the dunes, and I had had no trouble adjusting to the power delivery after a few rides in the dunes. There is nothing wrong with a good set of ported cylinders, but cubs do just fine in the dunes as well...

csrmel, when I was debating which direction I wanted to go, all I had to do was ride a 421 cub in the dunes for a while and I was hooked...

My cub cylinders dont have any less bottom end than a

set of oem cylinders. And even more so with the extra 4mm

of stroke. What makes it seem like the bottom end is so non existant is

the "light switch" powerband. It is a lot more abrupt and violent than with

your oem cylinder. The cubs are also a bit more tempermental than the

stockers but that is to be expected with anything that is custom and

aftermarket. with that being said, I think the cub cylinders are awesome.

You would definately need to do an upgrade on your clutch and

install a pingle valve as the cubs love to eat the fuel.

well said, not to many people will say that, but thats the truth