Stock Petcock Mod!

grpark20

Here is my modded gas cap. You can put a normal vent tube on, but I'm putting on a vent tube 2 inches long with one of those caps with the check valve inside on top that only lets everything flow one way. With the length of the barb there is no way it is going to fall off, unless I lose the whole cap. Pics below of how it's gutted.

DSCN0525.jpg

DSCN0522.jpg

Keep the ?'s, comments, and concerns coming.

Edited by grpark20

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure on the flow rate of a dual pingel but i have one on my empty tank right now.Tomorrow or later tonight i'll go out and fill the tank and drain it to see how long it takes.That modded stock one seem to flow damn good though for sure.There was someone a few months back that posted a thread of his modded stock petcock but i dont think he had as much detail as you do...Good work for sure man

If you have an empty tank...then just use water. You only need to flow it for 1 minute, I can convert everything else, or just do the whole tank for simplicity....I'm curious now to see how the $10 mod compares to the $80 pingel. Pingel looks a hell of a lot better.

This is the final version of the final mod to the petcock. I think I got all the flow I can get out of the pet cock. I got a carbide bit for my dremel and cleaned up the inside of the petcock really good. Now it's smooth. With the barbs both straight I can flow 4 1/4 cups per minute. That equals 34 ounces. That is 15.9375 gallons an hour and it will take 12 min 44 sec to flow a whole tank. I put loctite on the threads to prevent the barbs from trying to back out or leak. When I install the petcock on the tank for good, I'll add a little yamabond for insurance with leaks. I think (80% sure) I'm going to stick with this for my build, and not get a pingel. I will just run a longer line for the barb that is facing the front to avoid a kink. I'll also run that line to the left carb. The barb that faces the carbs will have a line ran to the right carb. If I cannot avoid a kink, I'll get stainleess steel or kevlar fuel lines. Below is the pic and also a video of the petcock flowing just to give you an idea of what 34 ounces a minute looks like. I had a lot of time on my hands today. Let me know if you think this will satisfy my fuel needs.

DSCN0528.jpg

Video below

th_DSCN0531.jpg

Edited by grpark20

looks good. seems to be pouring out pretty good ! :biggrin:

if u have a prob with suckin the bowls dry, bigger bowls is good insurance also.

but nice petcock, looks like its flowing good.

I wonder if anyone has thought of putting a big old fat hose between both carb bowls. Or am I the only one? Seems like that would easily increase the volume of both bowls. :smile:

Well I've gotten with the experts and pros and they feel this should fuel my needs. Before I run this balls to the wall I'd like to get the flow rate on a pingel first. So far "1996dragshee" is going to be doing a flow test. If the flow is close to a pinel (within 10 ounces) then I'll feel better with runninn it balls to the wall. If it's way short, then it was a great experiment. If anyone else wants to do a flow test, then please feel free. I'm sure everyone is just as curious as I am to see the outcome. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Edited by grpark20

I have been told to stay away from those little vint tube caps. They are going to do the same thing that the stock non gutted cap dose. I have actually herd of them sticking and not letting air in.

I just run some Tygon fuel line clear down the frame for my vent. I didnt like were the stock hose ended down inbetween the fuel tank and tank side covers. A little fuel would splash out down there and I would have a bunch of dirt and oil start forming there.

Looks good man! I'll try to do a flow test on the stock on. Sooo, do you want to make one of these for me?

If I can do this anyone can. Just start with a carbide bit to get rid of the bridges and take your time. Pull the stock brass barb thingy off with pliers and drill the hole straight through. No reason to tap the threads in the petcock as long as you are compression style pipe barbs. A little lock tite and presto! Its almost as if you are doing port work except if you mess up the pet cock you can get another for $26 brand new.

I have been told to stay away from those little vint tube caps. They are going to do the same thing that the stock non gutted cap dose. I have actually herd of them sticking and not letting air in.

I just run some Tygon fuel line clear down the frame for my vent. I didnt like were the stock hose ended down inbetween the fuel tank and tank side covers. A little fuel would splash out down there and I would have a bunch of dirt and oil start forming there.

I haven't heard anything yet about the vent cap, but you bring up a good point! I could go with a free flo tube, but I have no where to run it since my other mod. Pic below.

DSCN0532.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg