Tightening Clutch Nut

hyperlite33

Putting my clutch back together and need to know if it would be bad to put the bike in 6th gear and hold it to tighten the inner clutch boss nut to the 66ft lbs?

Would that hurt the trans in any way or does anybody have a better way?

I have tried a strap wrench and it won't hold it, and don't really reall want to buy a special tool.

Putting my clutch back together and need to know if it would be bad to put the bike in 6th gear and hold it to tighten the inner clutch boss nut to the 66ft lbs?

I have tried a strap wrench and it won't hold it, and don't really reall want to buy a special tool.

I just zip it on with an impact wrench. Lock the washer down and call it good. Anybody else torque the flywheel nut?

SP

Thats what I did the 1st time, no problem.

Damn that was a quick reply! I have a new impact wrench and I am unsure of the settings that it torques to...do you worry about over-tightening?

I am pretty friendly with my impact. We have been together for awhile. I don't know what else to say. Tight is tight and it is a large diameter so you would really have to put it to it to fuck up the threads. It needs to be tight and then lock it into place. But I really don't think many people torque it to spec.

SP

I normally put a little lock tite on it thenhit it with my impact gun and lock the washer down.

it probly will not hurt the tranny but i went ahead and got the tool to hold the inner hub. I have never toruqed tat nut, i just red locktite it and tighten it down. 66 ft lbs is alot, you dont have much to worry about as long as the threads dont get crossed. Between the locktite and the tab on the washer that thing isnt going anywhere

Cool thanks guys...I'm a big torque spec guy but locktight and the good old IR Impact looks like the way to go... :bunny:

that ir could be up to 600ft/lbs. don't hammer it on, just rattle it on a sec, like an imprort lug nut 60-80 ft/lbs

Edited by AKheathen

i used to rattle the clutch hub on and tighten everything to feel but about 4 years ago i bought a good set of ft lbs. and inch lbs. torque wrenches so now i do everything by the book ( unless i'm at the dunes and i have to bang it out to get a bike going again)

what i did was took a old set of burnt clutches and screwed one fiber to a steel so when it's put into place it holds the basket to the tranny shaft, then i pop a penny into the drive gears on the clutch basket and crank then torque away...

just how i do it now, the rattle gun works too....

Edited by swrbansheeboy