Xbox 360

dragbanshee

That's why i went the Playstation way again, i've had a PS since the first one. I also like the free internet on the Playstation as well.

Yea, PS is a good unit, my son still has his ps2 from when they 1st came out and still going strong, hope I didn't just jinks it. :biggrin:

• 4 months later...

its really not that hard to fix i have fixed atleast 6 of them already for my friends that dont feel like waiting for microsft only problem with that is the warranty gets voided. all you need is a t6 and t5 screwdriver, some small needle nose plyers and some thermal paste take it completely apart and on the back of the main board you will see two x clamps that hold the heatsinks get the needle nose and bend the parts that hold on to the screws out, once you take those off the heatsinks should come off, now clean up all the old thermal paste and i mean clean and apply the new thermal paste once thats done put it back together its a little bit of a pain in the ass to put those x clamps back on but be patient. if you did everything right the red ring should be gone .

i am not responsable for any damage you do to your system

buy one of those intercoolers that clip on the back. We had our nearly new Elite do it once. It has always been standing up. The cooler keeps it soooo much cooler its a little loud but its the only way to make up for microsofts lack of cooling power.

buy one of those intercoolers that clip on the back. We had our nearly new Elite do it once. It has always been standing up. The cooler keeps it soooo much cooler its a little loud but its the only way to make up for microsofts lack of cooling power.

Those are garbage, and there have been many claims in the past of creating faults.

As far the guy above that said he fixed 6 consoles by applying new heatsink grease, you lucked out.. The problem is with the GPU, the heat it produces, heatsink size and heat dissipitation, and the solder used on the BGA package GPU. The only good fix to this problem is to desolder the GPU, reball it and resolder. Reflowing it is also an option but should not be taken as a permanent fix. Replacing the x-clamps (which flex under high temperatures) with bolts and washers instead is also an option, by no means a permanent fix.

The best option is to purchase one of the new revisioned consoles codenamed jasper, which they have considerably lowered the amount of wattage the GPU pulls compared to the older V1 & V2 consoles.

Those are garbage, and there have been many claims in the past of creating faults.

As far the guy above that said he fixed 6 consoles by applying new heatsink grease, you lucked out.. The problem is with the GPU, the heat it produces, heatsink size and heat dissipitation, and the solder used on the BGA package GPU. The only good fix to this problem is to desolder the GPU, reball it and resolder. Reflowing it is also an option but should not be taken as a permanent fix. Replacing the x-clamps (which flex under high temperatures) with bolts and washers instead is also an option, by no means a permanent fix.

The best option is to purchase one of the new revisioned consoles codenamed jasper, which they have considerably lowered the amount of wattage the GPU pulls compared to the older V1 & V2 consoles.

Is there a way to easily identify the newer version consoles, incase someone wanted to buy a used one?

Is there a way to easily identify the newer version consoles, incase someone wanted to buy a used one?

If you purchase on ebay or from a private seller ask for the wattage labled on the power supply. If its 200w its a V1/V2 console (2005-2007) If its 175w its a Falcon console V3 (late '07 to early '08) If its a Jasper it will be 150w V4.

To mention possibilities going from above, its possible to use a 200w (V1/V2) power supply with the new Falcon and Jasper models, however you cannot use a 150w power supply (V4) with a V1, V2, or V3 console because it does not put out enough power for the older consoles. I only say this because someone could have a 200w PSU their using with a Falcon or Jasper console. There are also ways to tell by information on the console itself which can probably be found in the link below.

If your purchasing new read this http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...hreadid=2249461

• 2 weeks later...

There is a few videos on Youtube on how to fix it. I think they are the bolt and washer method Mjv420 spoke of. They go in detail how to do it, one of the videos even shows a dude fixing one behind the counter at a Game Stop.