Xbox 360

dragbanshee

Anybody know anything about this ring of death deal with the 360, any fixes I could maybe do at home? It sucks mainly because we got our boy rock band 2 and other games for it for Christmas and all a sudden this thing decides to take a crap. It wouldn't be so bad, but that was his main presents and he still has a week out of school. HELP!

I got that ring of death about 8 months ago. I sent it back to x-box, they fixed it for free, and sent it back to me within 2 weeks. Go to www.xbox.com (I think that's the site) Go to the part about trouble shooting or whatever. You type in your serial number and they tell you if it's under warranty or not. Then they send you a box with prepaid postage to send it back. It's the way to go! Hope it all works out for you!

Funny you speak of this, Mine is at XBOX right now. They say the cause of the problem is from being laid flat in the carpet and it over heats, thus causing 2 little wires to get so hot that it melts the solider.<---how ever you spell sawder!.....This in turn just looses connection to the internal hard drive. You can call 1-800-4MY-XBOX, or xbox.support.com I believe. It sucks that this happens but thats why they say that its best to stand the xbox on end and put in on a hard surface so it can get adequate air flow. Microsoft just extended its warranty from the time of purchase from 1 year to 3 years because they are having so many problems.

I doubt if mine will be under warranty because I think we purchased it pretty close to when they 1st came out, but I will check that site out. Mine is in the upright position on a stand in a module with a fan that was made for it. My son does play it for hours sometimes, so Im sure it gets pretty hot. Here lately its made like a grinding noise when we turned on or just switched out games. Thanks for the quick responses.

I can tell you how to fix it in one day but it may not be the "right" thing to do.

Here's what you do just go to Wal Mart and buy a brand new one, bring it home switch it out bring the fucked up one back to wal mart get the money and bam ya got a brand new one.

I can tell you how to fix it in one day but it may not be the "right" thing to do.

Here's what you do just go to Wal Mart and buy a brand new one, bring it home switch it out bring the fucked up one back to wal mart get the money and bam ya got a brand new one.

hmm, that is one way! :biggrin:

Bad thing about that is, they check the serial numbers. On the box and on the back of the x-box. I returned a x-box there one time with the original box and everything, and they made sure the box and x-box matched.

Thanks guys, I opted not to go with Kaos's advice, :biggrin: and am sending it off to microsoft tomorrow for free repairs "after all". Its all due to the fact of the red ring of death, automatic extended warranty, yahooo!

Granted I wont get it back as quick as Kaos would, :sad: but my son will survive, barely! Appreciate the help!

Bad thing about that is, they check the serial numbers. On the box and on the back of the x-box. I returned a x-box there one time with the original box and everything, and they made sure the box and x-box matched.

Kaos is correct about doing this, and you can do it but there are a couple problems.

1. it is fraud

2. he has a V1 non-hdmi console, you would have to be pretty lucky to find a non-hdmi console at wal-mart.

If you do take kaos's advice, you just switch cases as thats where the serial number is. (There is also a serial sticker that you can peel off under the front bottom USB door.)

Like I said, wouldn't reccommend anyone doing this because sometimes the wal-mart employee will call microsoft to report the serial and possibly your identity information.

A couple ways you can temporarily fix them in the convience of your own home for very cheap are;

Replace the x-clamps which hold the heatsinks to the chips, with the bolt and washer method (Search RBJTech or Lawdawgs method)

Another way is to purchase a heatgun and physically try re-flowing the GPU, Southbridge, and memory.

I have fixed a couple using both methods mentioned above, sometimes they last 1-2 days, sometimes they last 2 -3 months or longer.