carbs

If someone could school me on carbs that would be great ahaha

i have a 36 pwk trinity set up

i hear people talk bout pjs and airstrikers and lectrons and im wondering what is the diffrence and if someone could recommend a carb for me??

do mild open trails train tracks and fire roads and also a little mx look at my sig for more info thankss :thumbsup:

i hear people talk bout pjs and airstrikers and lectrons and im wondering what is the diffrence and if someone could recommend a carb for me??

do mild open trails train tracks and fire roads and also a little mx look at my sig for more info thankss :thumbsup:

PJ= older model Keihin carb with an oval slide. Choke knob includes idle adjustment. My mostly stock R has a 34PJ (from the factory) and it is an alright carb.

PJ.jpgvalve.jpg

PWK= modern version of the PJ with a D slide. It has a seperate choke and idle screw. Easier to jet, IMO. My banshee has two 35PWKs.

pwk.jpgvalve.gif

PWK A/S= Same as PWK with two guide vanes in the inlet mouth. My modified R has a 38PWK A/S and it works great on that bike.

pwk1.gif

Other than stock banshee carbs and stock LT250R carbs, I have not messed with Mikunis very much. And I have no experience with Lectrons other than what I have read on here. Someone else witll have to do the 'splainin' on those...

I would think two 28PWKs would work great for you, but I am not an expert. Are you having problems with the single carb set-up or just wanting a performance gain? The best person to ask is the one who did the port work...

You could benefit more from a good set of low-mid twin pipes, dual 28mm carbs, and a coolhead to get more compression for everything you want the bike to do.

PWK's are great carbs for most applications, Airstrykers are more a an MX designed carb from what I have read. Mikuni's are a little more uncommon then Keihins but they are great carbs as well, The TM's are the Mikuni eqiv to the PWK and the TMX's are the eqiv to the Airstrykers. Lectrons are a TOTALLY differant designed carb, unless your going to be doing drag racing there is no need for you to even bother spending the money on a set of them, they are rather pricey.

On the contrary, lectrons make great bottom end and work really well on low-mid power appkications.

lectrons are junk and are designed to dump a ton of fuel into carbs. no one riding in the trails needs a set of them. i dont run my banshee in the trails and i still wouldnt run them. ive used them before and they are built like shit..

that said, the PWK are about the best carb you can get.

also, you dont need to switch pipes. theres nothing wrong with the ones you have now.

looks to me like you need to drop a couple sizes on your domes and get a little more compression.. do you run race fuel now?

with your port work 28pwk's would work great. Thats what alot of my other engines are ran on that are basically around the same port specs as yours. Some may find it hard to believe but ive got other customers that run cpi's and 28pwks on this type of port work and get around in the trails just fine. Also another bike that runs rockets and 28pwks with more of a top end port with a 300lb rider and he rides anywhere he wants to; trails, dunes, mild drags..etc.

If you want to stick with 1 carb you could go to a bigger PWK other than that run what you got if its doing its job

I run a single 35 PWK and love it going to try out a 39 PWK soon

Unfortunately I wont have any results for a while the weather is a little wet and cold for me till it starts freezing that is

A smaller carb would work if you where going back to running 2

Edited by Troubledsol

The PWK carbs are amazing... but I guess before you listen to everybodies opinions as to which carbs are their 'personal favorite' You must ask yourself whats wrong with your current setup and what does it not do for you, ie. no low end, lack of top end, response. I would tell you to figure that out and then get a reccomendation as to what's the best replacement to fix your issue. You seem to be on the fence though which tells me that you are happy with what you have so I would tell you that if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Make the switch to a boss intake and 2 28pwk's. I did it and I was dead set on the single for the last 8 months (waste of time) and don't regret it at all. Best investment ever. The 28's will give you all the advantages of your single (except a sore thumb, lol) and you will find a little mid/top power you didn't know you had.

They will be much easier to get dialed in for your bike to. that single was a pain in the balls figuring out what needle and everything you need. These guys will be able to help you get your 28's very close and drop them in anf go!

Edited by Dick Wheels