more help on my banshee

Mat Holland

Ok, it got a top end rebuild on it, and we got it jetted right, im running 290 mains. It ran fine for like a couple of hours, and now it wants to pop again. Do the carbs need to be cleaned? Also, I am now leaking out coolant through my overflow hose that goes like where the drain lines go for you gas out of your carb. Like by the front sprocket. I can ride around and it steadily drips out. What can that be? Should I yank my carbs off and give them a cleaning?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the plugs should be fine, i have swapped out a cpl different ones that I have cleaned up. Im going over tomorrow to get more plugs.The only mods I have is dyno port racing headers with dg silencers. Carbs been jetted to 290 mains. Twin Air Air Filter. Fresh Top End Rebuild and thats about it other than visual stuff. also what about me loosing coolant?

no idea... you could have a small gasket leak that is allowing a small bit of pressure intoi the coolant system causing it...

and just saying they should be fine isnt good enough... go buy new plugs

Alright I will tomorrow morning. Im thinking about yanking the carbs off and going ahead and cleaning them. What do you think? Because I am wanting to try and go riding tomorrow morning with my parents to a place i have never been too. But I cant go unless I get this thing going. Plugs might help, but do you think i should yank the carbs off and clean them out, just as a precation. That way if it aint the plugs, then it would have to be an issue with the carb wouldn't it? Also, how can I go about checking my coolant, because I wont be able to go ride with it leaking coolant constantly

Alright I will tomorrow morning. Im thinking about yanking the carbs off and going ahead and cleaning them. What do you think? Because I am wanting to try and go riding tomorrow morning with my parents to a place i have never been too. But I cant go unless I get this thing going. Plugs might help, but do you think i should yank the carbs off and clean them out, just as a precation. That way if it aint the plugs, then it would have to be an issue with the carb wouldn't it? Also, how can I go about checking my coolant, because I wont be able to go ride with it leaking coolant constantly

Cleaning the carbs isn't going to hurt anything. If you think it is a good idea, then just do it. The coolant issue could be a problem with pressure build up in the coolant system which most likely isn't good. But, I would say, more than likely is an issue with the bike heating up. That can be caused by a few different things. Wrong jetting, poor coolant flow, engine trouble, etc. I think a little more info is needed for a proper diagnosis.

SP

ok well I don't know what to do with the coolant. I thought that the spark plug looked good, maybe it is a little too rich. I will give you guys a pic of my plug here in just a little bit. I don't know why it would be engine trouble, being that it just had the top end redone on it. I had engine ice in it, and it didn't seem like it was taking it from my resivore thing in the back where you put coolant in at. Because we opened the radiator cap and it was like half empty, but the resivore was like half full.

ok well I don't know what to do with the coolant. I thought that the spark plug looked good, maybe it is a little too rich. I will give you guys a pic of my plug here in just a little bit. I don't know why it would be engine trouble, being that it just had the top end redone on it. I had engine ice in it, and it didn't seem like it was taking it from my resivore thing in the back where you put coolant in at. Because we opened the radiator cap and it was like half empty, but the resivore was like half full.

Sounds like it got hot and overflowed and the reservoir caught some of it. Unfortunately, having a new top end may have everything to do with why it is overheating. Sometimes , when things are worked on we just don't get them right going back together. The first rule of troubleshooting is " what did we work on last".

SP

Edited by spurdy

I had someone do it for me that runs 2 strokes all the time and works on them all of the time as far as the motor part. One of the hoses couldnt be wrong could they, as far as the coolant goes? thing is it ran fine for a couple of days, and then like all of a suddon. I mean I ran like 3-4 tanks of gas through it before this stuff started happening. I'm going to go downstairs and yank my carbs off and clean them. I will keep checking back to see what you guys say about the coolant problem.

I feel somewhat like a pro on the issue since I have battled coolant issues on and off for a while now, so I will tell you the problems i have had. First of all did you retorque your head after heating it up and cooling it off? If its an after market O-ring head, you could have pinched an O-ring during install at the dome in which case you are literally pushing water with the compression and possibly getting water in the combustion chamber as well. If it is a stock head, you might need to check the gasket or possibly even replace it.

The only other problem I could see would be the if the impeller broke or melted. I recently had this issue and the water was obviously just pouring out the puke hose from the cap. A nice way to see what is up with water (although it sounds pretty sure that it is overflowing) is to take the cap off and start the bike. If it immediately starts boiling over, it is probably the head, if it takes a minute or so then it is likely a circulation problem. Best of luck. I would like to hear what you find.

when you had the top end done what all was replaced.was it board,honed new pistons or just rings.did you get all new gaskets.I can't believe you didn't get new plugs on the fresh top end.I take it you have several used plugs since your cleaning them.if it didn't get new plugs what else wasn't new.do you have a list of parts that you bought for the top end.