Banshee eating gas :P

havoxx

Alright, so I bought a banshee a while back, and I'm not too keen on two strokes, my four strokes are easy to mess with, anyway, this ones an 87, it was sitting for about 15 years in a warehouse, so it's in great condition, I checked out the carbs, bought a new throttle cable(it had rusted) and a new coil, and well, it started right up. What I want to know is, why it wastes so much damn gas, as far as I can tell it's completely stock, has 120 compression on both cylinders, but a tank of gas will only last me maybe 1-2 hours of trail riding.

I was wondering if a 2:1 carb kit would help, but I can't seem to find anything that's not so damn expensive, and I would like to keep using the stock carbs, since they're like new.

I was using 32:1 ratio on 93 octane, as someone had suggested(not sure if it was here or on 3WW) was using Havoline 2 stroke oil, it did smoke insanely, so not sure if maybe it was running with too much fuel?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, thanks. Oh, and the bike is as stock as I can figure, has original pipes, carbs, you name it.

cheap shitty oils will smoke more than the more expensive higher quality synthetic oils. you're also running it @ 32:1. IMO....get some amsoil, or other quality synthetic oil, and run it at no richer than 40:1. my amsoil @ 40:1 or 50:1, hardly smokes and smells good...IMO. as far as fuel mileage, i don't really know how long a stock jetted shee should last, but my modded shee really sucks fuel. seems like the whole tank is gone in 1hr of riding, than again, mines jetted like 14 sizes up from stock....lol.

i just thought of something, since it sat for a long time and you said it wastes gas, how is the condition of the rubber tip on the needles? does it piss alot out of the overflow?

Edited by mopar1rules

Glug Glug Glug sluuuurp.............welcome to owning a shee. I ride with several Raptors, trx 450's, Banshees and Blasters and its just the nature of the beast. It seems to me the shees eat twice the fuel of my 4 strokers maybe even more.

I belive it is also the way a shee is ridin, basically the throttles are on off switch's rather than finesed. when I ride the shee I crack the throttle WFO, The four strokes I tend to enjoy the bottom end a bit. imho

Both my banshee's are semi built, one has a hot rod crank, both are piped jetted, and air filter'd with 300 main jets or slightly bigger, forget off hand.

However, if someone on this board has a milage saving idea, I'd sure like to know !!

G Luck!

Glug Glug Glug sluuuurp.............welcome to owning a shee. I ride with several Raptors, trx 450's, Banshees and Blasters and its just the nature of the beast. It seems to me the shees eat twice the fuel of my 4 strokers maybe even more.

I belive it is also the way a shee is ridin, basically the throttles are on off switch's rather than finesed. when I ride the shee I crack the throttle WFO, The four strokes I tend to enjoy the bottom end a bit. imho

Both my banshee's are semi built, one has a hot rod crank, both are piped jetted, and air filter'd with 300 main jets or slightly bigger, forget off hand.

However, if someone on this board has a milage saving idea, I'd sure like to know !!

G Luck!

your 4-stroke will get better mileage. part of the fuel/air mixture, goes right out the exhaust port and never gets burned up during combustion. so, another reason our shees are crop dusters. :biggrin:

cheap shitty oils will smoke more than the more expensive higher quality synthetic oils. you're also running it @ 32:1. IMO....get some amsoil, or other quality synthetic oil, and run it at no richer than 40:1. my amsoil @ 40:1 or 50:1, hardly smokes and smells good...IMO. as far as fuel mileage, i don't really know how long a stock jetted shee should last, but my modded shee really sucks fuel. seems like the whole tank is gone in 1hr of riding, than again, mines jetted like 14 sizes up from stock....lol.

i just thought of something, since it sat for a long time and you said it wastes gas, how is the condition of the rubber tip on the needles? does it piss alot out of the overflow?

So, someone came to look at it to buy it, I knew he was just trying to give me bull, he says the bike isn't supposed to smoke, I don't know what 2-strokes he's been using, but ever since I was a kid, 2-strokes made that ding ding noise, and they smoked lol, anyway, as of today, my dad doesn't wanna sell it, it's a fun bike, and we'll just have to put away a few dollars for gas everytime we go ;).

maybe I need to get mine checked out....it eats hondas more than it eats gas. but seriously, if its been sitting that long the floats may be stuck, and it will leak gas out the overflo. Plus if you do donuts all day the gas will come out the side vents on the carbs. honestly, banshees leak more than the burn. You guys cant deny that......

maybe I need to get mine checked out....it eats hondas more than it eats gas. but seriously, if its been sitting that long the floats may be stuck, and it will leak gas out the overflo. Plus if you do donuts all day the gas will come out the side vents on the carbs. honestly, banshees leak more than the burn. You guys cant deny that......

that is very true which is as soon as i get time in thinking about finding me some ski carbs :) to fit on there.

So, someone came to look at it to buy it, I knew he was just trying to give me bull, he says the bike isn't supposed to smoke, I don't know what 2-strokes he's been using, but ever since I was a kid, 2-strokes made that ding ding noise, and they smoked lol, anyway, as of today, my dad doesn't wanna sell it, it's a fun bike, and we'll just have to put away a few dollars for gas everytime we go ;).

First of all, 2 strokes ARE supposed to smoke, they burn oil, period. As posted above, you do need to run a nice high grade synthetic at 40:1 not Havoline or whatever you can get at the convenient store.