under seat fuel tank

joeduno

Hey guys, I'm new to the board, and to the ATV world. I just picked up a 95 Banshee with a GSXR 600 engine. The swap is pretty much done, just needs some TLC. One of my first items to "adjust" is the fuel tank. Right now the bike has a small 1 gallon red fuel tank (same type of tank that's sold at hardware stores) stapped to the frame. I was looking at the bike, and the only realy space is under the seat above the rear shock, up to the carbs. I measured it out and it seams that I have about 7" width, 5" height, and at least 14" in length. Does anyone know where I can find a tank that will fit in that space? Or is there another area I could mount the tank? I read about people putting a battery in the nose, is there room up there for a tank?

Thanks guys,

Joe

u could fab something up to go there...

Yeah, thats what I figured I'd have to do. One of the guys I work with, his dad is a professional welder, and does lots of custom work on the side. If I can't find anything I'll just give the bike to him, and tell him to go to town, but I was kinda hoping to be able to find a tank that would work with just some mods.

Joe

point taken. flaming ass vs face vs balls. When this tank gets fabbed i wanna see it

Damn that was funny...thanks guys, need the laugh this morning.

I agree...fab time. You should be able to mock up a card board box to fit, and take it to a fab shop and have them make you one.

I know there is a guy on one of these forums that does it...I just can't remember who...

Damn that was funny...thanks guys, need the laugh this morning.

I agree...fab time. You should be able to mock up a card board box to fit, and take it to a fab shop and have them make you one.

I know there is a guy on one of these forums that does it...I just can't remember who...

"Flaming Balls" you know that used to be my nickname in high school ;) All right, thanks for the advice guys. Once I get the tank made up I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Thanks,

Joe

• 9 months later...

Well guys, I ended up having my friends dad do the custom fab work, which once he started getting into it turned out to be a much bigger project than he or I thought. It turned out the previous owner who started the project really didn't do anything very well. My buddies dad spent just about all winter working on rebuilding the frame, and making a custom gas tank. The tank holds just over 6 gallons of fuel. The frame was rebuilt with much thicker metal tubing, and actually welded correctly. Today I installed my YFZ supsension, and re routed my fuel line. It is a very close fit between the fuel tank and the rear sprocket and chain, but even with my 250lbs bouncing on the rear of the seat, it won't touch. So after almost a year from my orginal post on the topic, here are some pics after my first test ride yesterday.

shee1.jpg

shee3.jpg

shee4.jpg

shee5.jpg

shee6.jpg

shee7.jpg

shee8.jpg

shee9.jpg

Well guys, I ended up having my friends dad do the custom fab work, which once he started getting into it turned out to be a much bigger project than he or I thought. It turned out the previous owner who started the project really didn't do anything very well. My buddies dad spent just about all winter working on rebuilding the frame, and making a custom gas tank. The tank holds just over 6 gallons of fuel. The frame was rebuilt with much thicker metal tubing, and actually welded correctly. Today I installed my YFZ supsension, and re routed my fuel line. It is a very close fit between the fuel tank and the rear sprocket and chain, but even with my 250lbs bouncing on the rear of the seat, it won't touch. So after almost a year from my orginal post on the topic, here are some pics after my first test ride yesterday.

shee1.jpg

shee3.jpg

shee4.jpg

shee5.jpg

shee6.jpg

shee7.jpg

shee8.jpg

shee9.jpg

DAMM!!! You should paint it black and call it a flight data recorder. :biggrin: