Yamaha Banshee lockout clutch and clear cover

peterlocal22

whats up everyone, are Yamaha Banshee lockout clutch and clear covers any good?

are they worth the money?

pros and cons?

who other than cascade makes them and what type of rideing are they made for?

thanks

FYI: Cascade does not make them. The covers Cascade sells are made by Direct Drive.

If you do need a lockup clutch, don't run one, but the covers is great no matter what you are doing. :thumbsup:

Peter, judging by the mods to your bike in your sig, you don't need one.

You could probably put 3 HD springs and 3 standard springs in your clutch and it will have more than enough holding power.

Direct drive will tell you a lockup is a good idea for any bike....but I personally think it's overkill for stock motor'd bike.

Once you start getting into some pretty aggresive motor work, yeah...you need it.

They are worth twice the money they charge if you need one. It doesn't look like you are there yet but I run one on both my quads and love it. I went through 3 clutches in one weekend then put the lockout on and never had a problem since. The clear lens looks cool but isn't the best it WILL end up cracking and leaking but if you take care of in and don't get any brake fluid on it it will last a while.

They are worth twice the money they charge if you need one. It doesn't look like you are there yet but I run one on both my quads and love it. I went through 3 clutches in one weekend then put the lockout on and never had a problem since. The clear lens looks cool but isn't the best it WILL end up cracking and leaking but if you take care of in and don't get any brake fluid on it it will last a while.

can you get just the clear cover to bolt on stock system?

What makes the lockup clutch expensive is the clutch cover. The actual lockup part only costs around $100. Direct Drive has 2 options. One is that they take your stock cover and put the extension ring on the stock cover. The other option (witch is the better one) is they make a completly new cast clutch cover.

You could run just the cover with out the lockup installed on the out side of the pressure plate.

Here is a pic of mine. It is the direct drive die cast cover powedercoated black.

103_1854.jpg

Ok, Im kind of a noobie wheen it comes to quad parts. I do know how to change out pressure plates, re-tension, stuff like that, but wtf does the lock out exatly do? If it is a neccesity for a heavily ported motor I may need one in the near future :biggrin: .

It has weights on fingers, that as the motor spins faster, it pushes these weights outward...creating pressure on the plates not allowing them to slip, or slip very little (lockout).

I'd say once you get into the 70HP range....they're a very good idea.

Also....look for an override tranny too....they work well together...

AH, I see so its like a centrifical clutch. Do you use it for just racing? or riding too?

Kinda...centrifugal force keeps the clutch from slipping...

It is used anytime it's on...you have to take the window or whole side cover off to remove it.

Obviously, it's most helpful in drag racing due to the higher RPMs and load...

I'd venture to say most people that run a lockup clutch drag race more than just regular trail or dune riding...

Ok, I will be doing mostly trail and mx track riding so I should just look into some really gripy pressure plates and stiff springs then correct? I'm not trying to be a pest but I just like to pick at everyone's brain for info before I make a decision.

Edited by 98'banshee

Ok, I will be doing mostly trail and mx track riding so I should just look into some really gripy pressure plates and stiff springs then correct? I'm not trying to be a pest but I just like to pick at everyone's brain for info before I make a decision.

My advice?

Call Jeff @ FAST. Get his clutch kit. Use 3 heavy duty springs and 3 stock springs.

That way...you'll get a better grip than a stocker, but it won't be so stiff a pull at the lever that you'd be looking like Popeye's forearms...

I'm on my 3rd year on his clutch. Stock motor with bolts ons, then my 4 mil cub on gas, now my 10 mil cub on alky...

It just keeps going....