Plug Chopping

Exactly my point in the other post. THanks for not making me type it again.

i couldnt tell you how many times i posted it. i think i`m gunna make a BHQ note book in my computer so i could just copy and paste. i`m not bitching if i can help i will but that note book would make it easier on me. hell maybe i should start typing and try to get it pinned.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem IMO of just looking at the plug with time on it is this. If you do a ton of trail

riding where you are not at WOT a lot your plugs can get good color on them. So you might

think you are close on the jetting. In reality you could be lean and when you are in the throttle

you are torching your topend... Plug chops are essential. I thought I was good and I had to

bump 2 sizes on my mains to get them right. It runs better overall now... JMO...

what are you talking about? youre not supposed to just run through some woods, and then check your plugs.. a WOT plug check is where the bike is good and warm. you run it up through the gears to 4th or 5th, run it wide open for a few seconds and then shut the bike down and coast to a stop.. then check your plugs..

who taught you to do a WOT plug check that way? that doesnt even make sense.

plug chops are NOT essential, or even necessary.. if so, then how come ive never blown up a bike? not to mention the countless other people who dont do them? we are all just lucky i guess??

IMO, a plug chop is good for someone who does not or can't tune by the sound and feel of the motor. It never hurts to do one, if you feel comfortable tuning that way, by all means do a plug chop, it will not lie. I have enough experience w/a gas motor that I can tell from the minute it is started on how the bottom jetting is, and can get a very good feel for how the top is the first time I ride it and crack it open a little. I just always make sure I jet rich to start, and once I get the jetting where I like it, I keep an eye on the plugs once in a while(mainly the porcelin on gas motors) to make sure it doesn't get away from me(ie. unexpected air leak, etc.).

Ive owned ALOT of shit and i can say ive never "choped" a plug, ive had one motor meltdown, that was purchased in 99 and rode until late 07.... I agree with a previous post, do whatever u feel comfy doing.. its your machine, your checkbook but plug chops are by no means a neccessary procedure..

I for one will do plug chops as its far cheaper than a blown motor.

so youre saying, that if you dont do a plug chop you will blow a motor?

or

you cant tune by just looking at the electrode, so you do a plug chop?

or

plug chops are essential or everyone will blow their motor?

Well lets put it this way if its good enough for HRC to do them on the NSR500 its good enough for me. They did them for a reason not just for fun and I believe the people whe set these up know far more than you and I.

Im not saying if you dont do them anything will happen at all. Im saying I will carry on doing them as it brings piece of mind.

I guess that not everyone in the world is an expert like you at setting your mixture. But stop knocking it as a bad thing its not a bad thing at all its a great tool for the layman to sort his mixture.

Well lets put it this way if its good enough for HRC to do them on the NSR500 its good enough for me. They did them for a reason not just for fun and I believe the people whe set these up know far more than you and I.

Im not saying if you dont do them anything will happen at all. Im saying I will carry on doing them as it brings piece of mind.

I guess that not everyone in the world is an expert like you at setting your mixture. But stop knocking it as a bad thing its not a bad thing at all its a great tool for the layman to sort his mixture.

ohh well i didnt know i was an expert, but clearly good enough to jet my bike NOT using a plug chop.. this was supposed to be a post with discussion, so im trying to find out why people do them, or think they are necessary.

loco, i think you know what they mean, your just picking peoples posts apart for the sake of being a douche now...

what are you a damn prosecutor ? :biggrin:

well i was targeted specifically as saying they arent needed or necessary, so im trying to find all the reasons why people think they are necessary..

so far i have that, if you dont do them youll blow a motor and to find out your bike is lean.. those are both lame fucking reasons as far as im concerned..

so shut your fucking mouth you dickbag, worthless, non contributing motherfucker.. if i wanna be the damn prosecutor in a post where i was specifically targeted i will be. so far, i havent been given one real reason why they are better than a regular WOT plug test. seems like the only guys who even do them are the ones from PA. either that or no one else wants to speak up and give their reasoning.

Plug color will be the same with several size mains.

Now before you go and say "no it won't"...

I tried it... WOT pulling the plugs afterwards. Same color from 155 mains-160 mains. Plug chop is right on at 165. I was 5 sized too lean.

Bike felt fine, plugs looked fine, etc. Explain that one

Plug color will be the same with several size mains.

Now before you go and say "no it won't"...

I tried it... WOT pulling the plugs afterwards. Same color from 155 mains-160 mains. Plug chop is right on at 165. I was 5 sized too lean.

Bike felt fine, plugs looked fine, etc. Explain that one

so if youre saying that a WOT plug check is unreliable, how are we to know that a plug chop is?? so at 5 sizes too lean, you hadnt blown a motor, correct? how do you know that the WOT plug check isnt more reliable than a plug chop? sounds to me like there is a flaw with the plug chop method if it will run fine and not blow up at 5 sizes lean..

what im saying is that, neither method obviously provides perfect results.. youre saying that the plug chop is THE method as far as checking jetting. i say its flawed simply because, youre bike WILL run, and not blow up at 5 sizes leaner main. how do you know that the plug chop is not incorrect, and that youre now running rich?