Plug Chopping

Loco brought up a point that interests me... what is the advantages of doing a plug chop?

I know what they are, but I would like to see other's opinions on this. I was running my m otor on the lean side and didn't know it because I didn't chop a plug. When I pulled them, the electrode looked good at 155.

I planned on doing a plug chop today with 160 mains, 158 mains and 155 mains. I did 160's first, started rich thinking I would work down. I got anxious after I came back to the garage... I wanted to see what the chop would tell me. Little did I know it is on the nose.

I was running 155's, two sizes too lean on the main, by just looking at the electrode.

What do you guys think? Who here thinks it is a waste of time... this is a personal opinion. I believe many can get away with just looking... but I will not be in that crowd. On the same note, I will not think another that justs looks at an electrode is an idiot because if that works for them, that is what they should stick with and I am a believer in sticking with what works.

I am thankful I did one today... and will perform them a few times a season to make sure everything is good.

Edited by TeamRealtreeHD

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is the advantages of doing a plug chop? well that top end you just put on could have bin toast if you didnt notice you plug was lean. the advantage is that if your plugs burn the way they should you dont need a new rebuild sooner then expected due to running lean. if your not sure what way to go then go rich. plugs for $2 sounds better then piston/ring/bore/hone and possibly a crank.

what is the advantages of doing a plug chop? well that top end you just put on could have bin toast if you didnt notice you plug was lean. the advantage is that if your plugs burn the way they should you dont need a new rebuild sooner then expected due to running lean. if your not sure what way to go then go rich. plugs for $2 sounds better then piston/ring/bore/hone and possibly a crank.

Hey Jack, you don't have to tell me my man... I know this. I am after opinions here on what others think of plug chops.

I want to know if they think it is a waste of time and if they think looking at the electrode after and hour or two is the way to go. Or buy those $2 plugs and go really fast and make the bike shake and do a plug chop lol

Exactly my point in the other post. THanks for not making me type it again.

I wonder what the percentages would be if there was a poll asking if you did a plug chop or not. I am the only one in my group that does it.

Pulled plugs out of 2 banshees today, no chop, just pulled them out... and they were lean as all hell. Pretty bad. One was pinging like a son of a bitch... I don't think their top ends are going to last too long. I just can't see paying all that money for pistons, rings, bore/hone, gaskets, etc. just to be lazy and ride it and not keep a good watch on the thing.

I wonder what the percentages would be if there was a poll asking if you did a plug chop or not. I am the only one in my group that does it.

Pulled plugs out of 2 banshees today, no chop, just pulled them out... and they were lean as all hell. Pretty bad. One was pinging like a son of a bitch... I don't think their top ends are going to last too long. I just can't see paying all that money for pistons, rings, bore/hone, gaskets, etc. just to be lazy and ride it and not keep a good watch on the thing.

They prolly like the way they run too! Im always checking my plugs, Im always tuning.

One of them actually cares but needs a little guidance as he is new to the jetting thing. He is going to do a plug chop tomorrow with a bigger main in it.

The other guy, he replied today "I don't care if I blow it up... I want it to seize up so I can bore it".

Sad thing is that quad runs good... with a little patience and time, it could last a few years.

Edited by TeamRealtreeHD

One of them actually cares but needs a little guidance as he is new to the jetting thing. He is going to do a plug chop tomorrow with a bigger main in it.

The other guy, he replied today "I don't care if I blow it up... I want it to seize up so I can bore it".

Sad thing is that quad runs good... with a little patience and time, it could last a few years.

Yea well they done seen how good yours runs, so its time to try and match it.lol

The one is doing it tomorrow. He came right out and told me my banshee is running great after we raced today. He is one that if he knows things, and how to perform the work, he will be on it. He loves to hang in my garage and work on the bikes... His will be spot on very soon. His bike runs good too. Ported and bored a little. Great running machine.

The other guy, well, he will be sitting at home looking at the seized bike shortly. Only a matter of time... his is bad. Pinging and everything. Pipes so hot they are turning colors!!!

man i tell ya some people are just too stupid ,just like the guy i purchased my 89 from this guy was running 200 mains in one carb and 220's on the other carb (complete moron if u ask me )

by the way he sold the bike to me because it was slower than his wifes blaster lol....his loss my gain

ive never done one, never will.. so far the only reason i have seen anyone state is so that you dont run your bike lean and blow up a motor..

so is a lean condition the only thing youre looking for? are you saying i could be running lean so i should check mine?

ive been running the same jetting for 3 years now, and it runs like a fuckin top.. so since it hasnt blown up, it sure cant be lean.. so is there any reason for me to do a plug chop? all my jetting changes have always been done by looking at the electrode.

when i put my motor together i started with 165 mains and 48 pilot. i settled on 160 main and 45 pilot, just by doing WOT plug checks..

The only problem IMO of just looking at the plug with time on it is this. If you do a ton of trail

riding where you are not at WOT a lot your plugs can get good color on them. So you might

think you are close on the jetting. In reality you could be lean and when you are in the throttle

you are torching your topend... Plug chops are essential. I thought I was good and I had to

bump 2 sizes on my mains to get them right. It runs better overall now... JMO...