Vent tube

fast660r

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the hose from the rear of the motor and the clutch cover are nothing mor then tranny vent tubes. a very small amount of oil drip[ping is no big deal, how much are you talking about?

Bryan is certain now it is the hoses from the rear and the clutch cover, funny thing is he just put oil in before his last 2 races and it has spit oil out both times from these tubes. he hasn't lost any motor poweor at all but it really breaks is concentration when it starts to push oil out and it begins to drip on the pipes while he is racing around the track. Looks like he is about to go up in flames by his last lap. When he gets the back back to the trailer it shuts down fine and fires right back up.

What is the proper amount (cold) that his dipstick should read. what about hot or does it make a difference?

Thanks for your help, I will be looking forward to more replies in the morning hq session.

Got to love this though a Banshee winning production C class in Washington State.

it sounds like your getting a little more pressure builtup then normal. Like said already the tube may drip a very small amount over time but as much as your talking about is either too much oil or you have a seal leaking and its pressureizing the tranny causing the oil to push out the vents.

The correct amount for oil i want to say is 1.5 quarts. but i cant remember off the top of my head for certain.

it sounds like your getting a little more pressure builtup then normal. Like said already the tube may drip a very small amount over time but as much as your talking about is either too much oil or you have a seal leaking and its pressureizing the tranny causing the oil to push out the vents.

The correct amount for oil i want to say is 1.5 quarts. but i cant remember off the top of my head for certain.

Any way to check the seal with out a total tear down ?

If you have a stock dip stick, it should be anywhere in the checkered region when cold.

Also, how is this tube venting by the pipes? Id should just run off the back of the case and there is a clip back there that holds the carb/case vent lines so they just drain right to the ground.

If you have any more then a few drops you probably have a bad seal somewhere. You can try doing a leakdown test, and that may or may not tell you you have a bad seal. Leakdown only tests the cylinders for a leak, but if the test comes up bad then you could have a leak between the cylinder and the cases. If the test is good, your leak could be somewhere else in the cases that doesnt contact with the cylinders.

You basically have 3 choices:

1: Ride it the way it is, hope it gets better.

2: Do the leakdown test mentioned above, and make sure the leak isnt between the cylinders and cases/crank. If it does wind up being this prepare to split the cases.

3: Check the oil, drain it, and see what color it is. If its a milky color then your other big possible leak is between the water pump and the cases. If that seal is bad your gonna have to pull the clutch cover and replace the seal.

Those are the 2 spots I can think of where the seals would go bad at and cause the cases to overpressurize. You may also want to check your coolant level too, make sure the bike isnt running too hot. Good luck bro!!!

If you have a stock dip stick, it should be anywhere in the checkered region when cold.

Also, how is this tube venting by the pipes? Id should just run off the back of the case and there is a clip back there that holds the carb/case vent lines so they just drain right to the ground.

If you have any more then a few drops you probably have a bad seal somewhere. You can try doing a leakdown test, and that may or may not tell you you have a bad seal. Leakdown only tests the cylinders for a leak, but if the test comes up bad then you could have a leak between the cylinder and the cases. If the test is good, your leak could be somewhere else in the cases that doesnt contact with the cylinders.

You basically have 3 choices:

1: Ride it the way it is, hope it gets better.

2: Do the leakdown test mentioned above, and make sure the leak isnt between the cylinders and cases/crank. If it does wind up being this prepare to split the cases.

3: Check the oil, drain it, and see what color it is. If its a milky color then your other big possible leak is between the water pump and the cases. If that seal is bad your gonna have to pull the clutch cover and replace the seal.

Those are the 2 spots I can think of where the seals would go bad at and cause the cases to overpressurize. You may also want to check your coolant level too, make sure the bike isnt running too hot. Good luck bro!!!

I now know the oil color is good and the coolant level is also good, so I am going to have to beleive the leak test must be done.

What is the proper procedure for doing the leak test if you wouldn't mind me asking?

if the coolant is fine and oil color is fine that only leaves the crank seal to be bad.. however, if the crankcase can pressurize the tranny case, it can surely suck some of that oil into the crankcase.

you say you havent lost any performance correct?? i dont think you have a bad crank seal..

i think in this case you have too much oil in there. the oil level should be towards the bottom of the dipstick, where its checkered. if its above that, you have too much. if its halfway up on the dipstick itself, you have WAY too much.. the bike bouncing around will probably cause some oil to make it to those vent tubes.. i would recommend draining the oil and putting the recommended amount in there. let it drain all the way first..

also, you can reroute those vent tubes to anywhere you want. i run mine straight down to the ground in the front of the clutch cover and the one out the back goes straight down.

More than 1/2 way on the checkerd of the dipstick isn't to many, its normal. If you have 1500ml or 1500cc of oil in your tranny, and you check the level by turning the dipstick out while the motor is cold, wiping it with a cloth, turn it back in and out and it is on the top part of the checkerd you have the max amount in which is 1500ml, it should not breath out any oil at the breather with that amount, of cause a few drops are normal. Reroute the breather so that the hose goes down under the engine. Is this motor in a stock banshee frame?

Did he maybe had a accident, while the bike overturned??

Edited by 2strokespirit

So what can happen he chooses to run this like it is for 2 more races (16 laps)? I am just wondering what damage can happen?

So what can happen he chooses to run this like it is for 2 more races (16 laps)? I am just wondering what damage can happen?

dude are you ignoring my posts? i have given you tons of valuable information here with tons of options and things to check on. i have yet to hear back from you..

do you wanna fix this shit the right way or just keep skipping around the real issue? i mean, its YOUR kids bike.. im just the guy thats telling you what to check to make sure its right.

dude are you ignoring my posts? i have given you tons of valuable information here with tons of options and things to check on. i have yet to hear back from you..

do you wanna fix this shit the right way or just keep skipping around the real issue? i mean, its YOUR kids bike.. im just the guy thats telling you what to check to make sure its right.

Sorry, i have just been hitting the reply button.

if the coolant is fine and oil color is fine that only leaves the crank seal to be bad.. however, if the crankcase can pressurize the tranny case, it can surely suck some of that oil into the crankcase.

you say you havent lost any performance correct?? i dont think you have a bad crank seal..

i think in this case you have too much oil in there. the oil level should be towards the bottom of the dipstick, where its checkered. if its above that, you have too much. if its halfway up on the dipstick itself, you have WAY too much.. the bike bouncing around will probably cause some oil to make it to those vent tubes.. i would recommend draining the oil and putting the recommended amount in there. let it drain all the way first..

also, you can reroute those vent tubes to anywhere you want. i run mine straight down to the ground in the front of the clutch cover and the one out the back goes straight down.

Performance is good still. and I am agreeing with you that it is possible there is too much oil. We are draining it as we speak and I will put the proper amount back in and run it this afternoon.

I have to reroute the hoses, did you take the tee out to run them in different directions?

Let me ask you this, If I disconnect the 2 hoses at the tee and the seal is out will it only puke oil out of the clutch side vent hose? Or still both