Widening stock a-arms?

UNCC Grad

This may be a dumb question, so I'll apologize if it is. Can you safely modify the stock a-arms on a Shee to widen it out? Me and my brother-in-law are pretty decent at fabbing things up so this has crossed my mind. I was thinking if you could add some tubing to the existing a-arms it just might work. I know stock a-arms are cheap and readily available on fleabay. :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

i dont see why not. i havent done it. but if you just added a larger tube over where you cut the smaller stuff, adn you can weld good. I personally would try it if i had a spare set of aarms. but i will try alot of things if they just cost me time and not so much money. i like to tinker nad think outside the box....but thats me. if you do do it, make sure and report bakc, i would be curious to hear how it went and look at some pics

You can'y just simply weld in 2in's of tube to the existing stock a-arm. It doesn't work that way.

Because of the V-shape of the a-arms, if you cut a part off, and extend the other, the part you cut off won't line up. It will be wider so you can't weld it to the existing a-arm. If it was that simple everyone would be doing it.

You would literally have to make your own tubes and weld the ends on it to work properly.

Ill sketch up an image real quick for an example why it wont work.

You can'y just simply weld in 2in's of tube to the existing stock a-arm. It doesn't work that way.

Because of the V-shape of the a-arms, if you cut a part off, and extend the other, the part you cut off won't line up. It will be wider so you can't weld it to the existing a-arm. If it was that simple everyone would be doing it.

You would literally have to make your own tubes and weld the ends on it to work properly.

Ill sketch up an image real quick for an example why it wont work.

It will work. They don't have to maintain the same angle throughout the entire length.

It will work. They don't have to maintain the same angle throughout the entire length.

post up some pictures if you say it will work.

if you split the arms in the middle and tack in extra length

you just create a shear point in the arms. adding any extra

gusseting or whatnot to lengthen the arms is just going to

add weight. and what have you gained in the end?

post up some pictures if you say it will work.

if you split the arms in the middle and tack in extra length

you just create a shear point in the arms. adding any extra

gusseting or whatnot to lengthen the arms is just going to

add weight. and what have you gained in the end?

In the end you have gained wider a-arms..

This may be a dumb question, so I'll apologize if it is. Can you safely modify the stock a-arms on a Shee to widen it out? Me and my brother-in-law are pretty decent at fabbing things up so this has crossed my mind. I was thinking if you could add some tubing to the existing a-arms it just might work. I know stock a-arms are cheap and readily available on fleabay. :huh:

the best CHEAP way in my mind is wheel spacers... i think they go to 4 inches?