Chain 101

I've searched with no luck. My bike is a 2004 and it has the original chain on it. It doesn't have a case saver on it. I got new tires that are going to hook up a lot better now I'm kinda gettin concerned about the chain. The last thing I need is for it to snap and break the cases. So my question, how often should chains be changed? My chain looks ok but the o rings in it appear to be dry rotting a little. What is the BEST chain I can buy? Money really isn't an issue because the last thing I want to skimp on is a chain. Should I go ahead and get a case saver on there too?

i would check the slack on the chain. when it can no longer adjust correctly, it is time to get a new one. i change my chain and both sprockets as a set. i buy the primary drive set from rocky mountain. with sprockets and x ring chain it was like 70 bucks. i hear from some pros i ride with say they all last pretty much the same.

If money isnt a concern they look at Sidewinder. 100 bucks for the front sprocket and 150 for the rear sprocket. and 150 dollar chain.

You can easly wrap up 400-450 in a drive setup.

WOW, they've got a 16,000 lb chain! That's crazy.

u can never go wrong with a d.i.d. Xring really tuff chain .. im using that and regular steel sprokets.. side winder is nice but$$$ if u want to dish out all that extra coin for a chain sproket combo giver... its yur choice

Yea, I'm not paying $200 for a chain. LOL I just don't want some cheap ebay chain. I may just go down to the dealer and get an OEM chain. I've got a $10 gift card that they sent me that I need to use up before it expires.

DID 520 xring chain with primary drive steel front and rear on my two dune bikes. I run a 530 chain with sidewinder sprockets on the 10mil.

I replace chains when they start to get sticky links, or too much slack after all your adjustment is gone. A case saver is cheap insurance. The DID X-ring chains have been good to me so far. I clean them and re-oil them every time I ride. Just like anything... the life of the part depends on how well you take care of it. Make sure you replace your sprockets and chain at the same time. Don't run an old sprocket with a new chain.