Non sand tires in sand

JasonsBanshee

I've never had the chance to ride at the dunes before. I'm plannin a trip this summer. I plan on going maybe one time a year so I don't know if I'll buy paddles to ride. How well do regular tires do in the sand? I jst hate to throw down all the money on sand tires for a day or two a year of sand riding.

I've never had the chance to ride at the dunes before. I'm plannin a trip this summer. I plan on going maybe one time a year so I don't know if I'll buy paddles to ride. How well do regular tires do in the sand? I jst hate to throw down all the money on sand tires for a day or two a year of sand riding.

Where you plan on going?If your doing a glamis trip you would want paddles!

Find some used paddles cheap, it sucks in the sand with non-paddles. I went to little Sahara with my Razrs and my shee pulled like a 50cc 4 stroke. I bought a set of worn ass paddles from a dude there and WOW, hooked up like a chain and sprocket, paddles in the sand is like the best hookup ever, kinda like on the street but a little scarier!!!

I rode on sand with my friend's Banshee last weekend, and I was definitely wishing I had paddles... the quad definitely doesn't run as hard, and if you try to whip the ass end around to turn on the sand, there's a very good chance that it'll stall out. If I could keep the momentum up in the parts that weren't too sandy I did okay, but if I tried to juice it hard in pure sand it'd act really sluggish. I haven't gotten to try my paddles out on pure sand yet, but it won't be long before I'll be able to.

You will want paddles at silver, some places there you can get away with it, but if you are planning on climbing the hills, just by an old set off of someone. Well worth the money, you will spend less on a set of used paddles than the gas you are gonna pay to get up here.

Go on Craigslist and buy some cheap set of paddles.

If you had a four stroke its not so bad. My 450 does just fine in the sand without paddles, but i wouldnt ride my banshee without them. You will spin and spin and spin.

Dont forget this will create more heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, for my first three trips out to the dunes here, (Glamis and Buttercup), I ran knobbies on my Banshee.

I ended up dropping tire pressure pretty low, but I was able to get just about anywhere I wanted as long as I knew ahead of time where I wanted to go. (If that makes any sense).

None of that turn uphill without any lead time type of duning.

Yes paddles change the experience, but I could go out there today and dune all day long without them.

I would say (and I could get flamed for it, but hey) that knobbies are a good training too for people who are new to the dunes. They often prevent learners from over-commiting on large dunes, drop the top end speed down, and familiarize them with learning to follow the contours of the dunes to stay smooth.

But that's just my .02...

• 2 weeks later...

The beauty of buying a used set of paddles is that "one more trip" isn't going to hurt their value in the least... Do yourself a favor, as it seems you're planning for a while for this trip: buy a set of paddles. Use them. If you aren't hooked on sand after the first trip, turn around and sell them for exactly what you paid for them when you get home. I went through 4 sets of used paddles for my KFX450 before I settled on my current Skat Trac edges--but I knew the very first time I hit a dune at Glamis that duning was for me.

On my Shee, it's gonna be Haulers or Extremes--nothing else looks or feels right to me on a Shee. It came with a set of Sand Stars, but I think they're heavy and they're on the "ugly" ITP C wheels....

Edited by Erwin8r

i have had turf tamers on my banshee for years and have ben up there many times. i always have a good time with them, and actually have chose to be layz and not even run my paddles. you will do fine up there. paddles are nice though, cuz they obviously hook better, and you can't plan on racing without them. but just cruzing around is fine. if you want, i got a place up there and i have a spare set of skat track 20x10x8 straight paddles. looking to get rid of them. pm if your intrested. prolly for cheap, since the one tire has a slow leak.