New Banshee

kpick

Hi all,

Well I am new to bansheehq and this is my first banshee, I've always wanted one and I am going to pick it up in a couple weeks, I rode a honda 400ex before this. It's an 06 SE and I was hoping to get a little input before I bring her home. I think I want to leave it pretty much stock for a while I was thinking of getting the T6 kit and jetting and calling it good for a while, what I was wondering is do I need to break it in completely stock and for how long, are the T6's a good choice, any other input would be awesome. I live in Reno so I plan to ride the trails and of course hit sand mountain. Thanks guys hope to hear back.

First off, welcome to the HQ kpick. This is a great place and there is alot of useful information here. According to the owners manuel break-in is 20 hours and is as follows:

0-10 hours: Avoid continuous operation above half throttle. Allow a cooling off period of five to ten minutes after every hour of operation. Vary the speed of the machine from time to time. Do not operate it at one set throttle position.

10-20 hours: Avoid prolonged operation above 3/4 throttle. Rev the machine freely through the gears but do not use full throttle at any time.

After break-in: Avoid prolonged full throttle operation. Vary speeds occasionally.

However, there are lots of different opinions on break-in. Myself, I did both steps but over a period of about 4 or 5 tanks of fuel... not sure if it was 20 hours or not. I've never run T-6's, but I hear they are good. Someone else that has some may input on them. As far as just pipes and leaving it at that, good luck... that's hard to do once you get the sickness! lol

I have the T-6's on my shee and I love them. Alot of the guys on here say if you plan on doing any porting go with the T-5's if you want to stay with Toomey. Like alot of things on here go mods are personal opion. Do some searching on what you want and if you plan on doing more look it up. I know this site has helped me out alot with what I want to do.

Thanks for the input,

So I am sure that I am kidding myself if I say I am not going to add more mods later, the concern is will the T5 perform as good as the T6 without all the other mods untill I can come up with the cash to mod up, also I will be painting them black, any suggestions on what brand of paint to use.

At the place I bought ours the owner has an 87 in mint condition by looks, but a lot of hours on the clock. He told me to get used to the bike for about 50 hours or so and then figure out what you want to do with it and come up with a plan on how to get there. A lot of ways to go with these things. Their strength seems to be converting them to drag bikes, but I won't go that direction with it. The exhaust is okay for a stock system and if all you do is trail ride it might be all you need. The T5 system is said to be the best bang for the buck though and also I have been told to get 28mm Mik carbs to put on and an exhaust for the kind of riding that thing will eventually see.

Alright,

so I think I have made up my mind I am pretty sure I will go with the T5's, cause I know in the future I am gonna want to go faster. Since this is a brand new bike am I going to need to break it in, should this be done completely stock or will the pipes and jetting make a difference. Thanks.