PVL Ignition

FireHead

I ran a pvl for years. Never a problem with it. Simple to set up and a nice clean package. BUT I cant say I ran any faster with it. For what it cost I beleive my money could have been better spent.

Dave the gremlins I was having towards the end of the year wasnt the ignition. The seaction of one dome broke inside the oring ( the small divider between it and the chamber). It leaked a little coolant and trashed the top of the cylinder $$$. Still ran 4.09 like that lol

Going to go back to a stock cdi with a nology coil this year to satisfy my curiosity.

Firehead when I first installed mine I didnt see any spark. After a few calls and bit of panic I checked it again with the lights off and a good hard kick and it sparked. They have a rather weak spark until the rpms come up. Grounds are very important as you have heard. I grounded the coils to the frame and then a ground from there to the side cover and one to head as well. Be sure you have the small and large spade connectors plugged in properly. The small pigtail off the coils is for the kill switch's. You have two teathers correct? I tried running one and it wouldt run

I will try the lights off trick tonight. I honestly haven't screwed with the thing for a couple weeks as I have been busy with other things.... I am running one Pro Design kill switch that is supposed to be able to ground both coils. I may also need to see if a jumper wire or to may help the situation with the grounding.

I'll let you guys know what I come up with. :geek:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try the lights off trick tonight. I honestly haven't screwed with the thing for a couple weeks as I have been busy with other things.... I am running one Pro Design kill switch that is supposed to be able to ground both coils. I may also need to see if a jumper wire or to may help the situation with the grounding.

I'll let you guys know what I come up with. :geek:

I had a problem at first with my kill switch. I ended up unplugging it and it fired right up. I would give that a try! :blush:

LOL I see I'm not the only one who has to try and sneak in a little time here and there to wrench on the toys :banghead:

I am realtively single and I still cannot come up with time to work on anything.......... It drives me nuts sometimes. :banghead:

I am realtively single and I still cannot come up with time to work on anything.......... It drives me nuts sometimes. :banghead:

I fooled with the thing for a couple hours yesterday and I still don't have spark. I disconnected the kill switch and didn't get any improvement. I also regapped the stators and re-worked the plug wires.............. still nothing. At the moment I am starting to consider that I may not be able to kick the engine over fast enough to get spark out of this system (I'll have to test that theory when I get back from Vegas). :confused:

I know you said you disconnected the teather and you had one that works for a pvl. Do you have the two kill leads pigtailed together in any way? Is this a new unit?

I have the two kill leads connected together into one kill switch. I have tried disconnecting the kill switch from the coils completely and I still did not get spark. The PVL is a used unit that I have seen run, but I have not thoroughly tested anything on my bike except for continuity. :geek:

if the kill leads from each coil are connected in any way it wont spark. Something about feedback. Any single switch designed for a pvl would require two leads with a diode inside to prevent this. If all else fails HERE is a link to there troubleshooting web page.

if the kill leads from each coil are connected in any way it wont spark. Something about feedback. Any single switch designed for a pvl would require two leads with a diode inside to prevent this. If all else fails HERE is a link to there troubleshooting web page.

Alright well that is part of my problem........... However, I didn't get spark even when the kill switch was disconnected from both coils. I'll have to fool with it a bit today and see what else I find. :geek:

Alright well that is part of my problem........... However, I didn't get spark even when the kill switch was disconnected from both coils. I'll have to fool with it a bit today and see what else I find. :geek:

Just so you know....I have a very dificult time visually seeing actual spark from my setup. Not sure if it was due to a bad ground or not.....but when I put the spark plugs back in and kicker her over....she fired right up. Definitely make sure that the 2 kill wire are not connected together in any way.

Just so you know....I have a very dificult time visually seeing actual spark from my setup. Not sure if it was due to a bad ground or not.....but when I put the spark plugs back in and kicker her over....she fired right up. Definitely make sure that the 2 kill wire are not connected together in any way.

I ordered another kill switch and I will get that part fixed.............. Then I will have to start looking for other problems. Do you have a pic of how you mounted your two kill switches? :geek:

hey, ive been running a pvl on my 10mm mini for a little bit now, i would just try to get the motor running without the kill switches first.. then see if you can get it to run with one..

the two wires coming from the stator (blue and black) hooked to each coil, then the black connected to the frame (the mounting bolt for my coils is what i used)..

if its been ran then you shouldnt need to reset the pickups on the timing plate.. and make sure not to tighten down too hard on the flywheel..

if i remember right mine is set at .077btdc...

hey, ive been running a pvl on my 10mm mini for a little bit now, i would just try to get the motor running without the kill switches first.. then see if you can get it to run with one..

the two wires coming from the stator (blue and black) hooked to each coil, then the black connected to the frame (the mounting bolt for my coils is what i used)..

if its been ran then you shouldnt need to reset the pickups on the timing plate.. and make sure not to tighten down too hard on the flywheel..

if i remember right mine is set at .077btdc...

I think I have everything set right, besides the kill switches. I will pull the kill switch wires and go kick it again tonight. :geek: