Steering column bearing Removal

Isaac_62

i found a big nut one time that fit pretty snug in there. then i welded a bolt to it so that i could just use a socket wrench to turn it out.

make sure your powder coater covers that area before he sprays it. otherwise its a bitch to get thing screwed back down in there.

I didnt realize that thing threads out of there... I tried using a socket and hammer to pound it out from the top... Is this wrong? Thank you guys

Well if you've pounded on it trying to force it out you might have a hard time doing it the correct way now. The gold colored ring on top of the bearing spins out towards your handlebars. You have to remove the upper seal to get to it. Once you remove the upper seal, spin the gold retainer ring out, then flip your frame over and pound the bearing out from the bottom towards the top with a socket or something. But you will have to remove the lower seal to get to it. Look at your clymers, it tells you how.

I had the same prob. a couple of months ago. I tried a 1" bolt and two nuts that would fit in where the bearing is but it didn't work that thing was on there for the long haul. My next idea worked though I took a dremel with a cutting bit and just cut through the bearing and only the bearing to releave the stress and it turned out by hand after that. So I would try one of those things. good luck